Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Always Watching
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -A federal lawsuit is demanding that Costco label much of the shrimp it sells as the product of human slavery.

The lawsuit, which also wants Costco to stop buying shrimp from its suppliers in Thailand, was filed in California. It alleges that Costco is deceiving customers by not including an advisory about slavery on product packaging.

The plaintiffs claim that the United Nations and the U.S. State Department have established that Thai shrimp producers depend on slave labor.

According to the suit, Thai shrimp commonly sold in the United States comes from farms, and is not fished in the wild. But the feed for the farmed shrimp comes from the slave-staffed fishing boats known as "ghost ships."
Lawsuit against Costco: Label shrimp as product of slavery

I'll continue to enjoy my shrimp cocktail while wearing my blood diamonds, thank you very much!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

I'll continue to enjoy my shrimp cocktail while wearing my blood diamonds, thank you very much!
Actually my Queen, the real reason NOT to eat Thai shrimp is that it comes from THOUSANDS of miles away and according to Consumer Reports (April), had up to 73% bacterial contamination......

·
Always Watching
8,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually my Queen, the real reason NOT to eat Thai shrimp is that it comes from THOUSANDS of miles away and according to Consumer Reports (April), had up to 73% bacterial contamination......
Thanks for the heads up. Between the hippies raining on our parade and the foreigners filthy conditions, it seems as though we'll never have nice things again.

I'll post it for the lurkers:

A new Consumer Reports (CR) study released Friday found that 60 percent of 342 samples of frozen shrimp it tested contained Salmonella, Vibrio, Listeria, or E. coli, and 2 percent tested positive for the superbug MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)...Because of the crowded and polluted conditions that typically exist in fish-farming ponds or tanks, the shrimp are often given antibiotics such as tetracyclines, which is illegal in shrimp imported to the U.S.
Consumer Reports: Tests Find 60 Percent of Frozen Shrimp Contaminated With Bacteria | Food Safety News

1 - 3 of 3 Posts