Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone here has heard of this and what they think. - Developed in cooperation with the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, the Law Enforcement Certificate prepares students for a career in law enforcement. The certificate combines specialized criminal justice and general education coursework to provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to successfully enter the field. - I spoke with the criminal justice department head at my school and she said that eventually this certificate might/will lead to a shorter academy as you are learning in school what you would be taught at an academy. Just curious if anyone has any information on this.

G

·
I know many colleges will grant academic credit for the police academy, but I've never heard of the other way around, at least in MA.

In any case, what you learn in college is much different from what you learn in the academy.

·
Subscribing Member
4,323 Posts
I heard of this , it is supposed to mimic Florida and a few other states. It would be a Chief's dream to hire some kid out of college and only send him to a four week academy. I personally don't think and hope it will not happen. The academy is easy enough, we don't need this nonsense too.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Yeah, I remember hearing awhile back that the Chiefs of Police Assoc. wanted to create a college like program, similar to Florida or Cali, where you complete the program and you're basically a certified LEO. Some suspect it could occur in about 5 years. I wouldn't be too sure of it though.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
In this class, do you get to shoot guns?
In this class are you taught by real police?
In this class, do the people teaching have any actual experience?

I am a man of many letters, many would say PITA would be one of them...all that I learned in college, grad school, and the post doc world was nice but it really didn't mean jack squat back on the block.

I think the question is does any academy in MA support this program; meaning is there a 4-6 week program to "finish up" this certificate...if not...then it's nice to have but prolly useless for becoming a LEO faster.
This is my fully unqualified opinion...but wanna learn about being a cop, learn from other cops. Wanna learn about teaching people about being a cop from people that are not cops...go to college.

Coops320 said:
Just curious if anyone here has heard of this and what they think. - Developed in cooperation with the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, the Law Enforcement Certificate prepares students for a career in law enforcement. The certificate combines specialized criminal justice and general education coursework to provide students with the knowledge and skills they need to successfully enter the field. - I spoke with the criminal justice department head at my school and she said that eventually this certificate might/will lead to a shorter academy as you are learning in school what you would be taught at an academy. Just curious if anyone has any information on this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, SOT, the degrees are worth crap, from my experience especially in the smaller towns like, for example Andover Mass & Reading Mass PDs.... its all WHO YOU KNOW and not what credentials and background you may have....i.e., 5+ years as a State investigator, 4+ years as a Senior State investigator, 4 years as a Security Officer, 2 Graduate degrees (one in CJ)....Spanish speaking skills......I can go on and on.....sorry I needed to vent and I figured this was the place to do so....

What I am getting at is, SAVE YOUR MONEY....go get chummy with the local Chief and Lts....start making phone calls and having you family make calls, that is your best way to go IN MY OPINION.

Get on the job first and then go spend your money on all the education you want so you can get that lucrative QUINN BILL.

Screw the certificate.... Snapdog

P.S....the sad thing is...I actually thought I was bettering myself for a Police Officer position...yeah right!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SOT_II said:
In this class, do you get to shoot guns?
In this class are you taught by real police?
In this class, do the people teaching have any actual experience?

I am a man of many letters, many would say PITA would be one of them...all that I learned in college, grad school, and the post doc world was nice but it really didn't mean jack squat back on the block.

I think the question is does any academy in MA support this program; meaning is there a 4-6 week program to "finish up" this certificate...if not...then it's nice to have but prolly useless for becoming a LEO faster.
This is my fully unqualified opinion...but wanna learn about being a cop, learn from other cops. Wanna learn about teaching people about being a cop from people that are not cops...go to college.
It is going to have a "finish up" academy not sure on the length however, but at least 4-6 weeks. I think you will be hard pressed to find an academy that will like it because this program will cause them to loose money. Personally, I am kind of indifferent to the idea. I have had some moron cops attempt to teach classes and equally moronic professors attempt to teach a class. Personally, I would like to see more post graduate level police officers teaching. Ultimately, I want to learn from whoever can convey information to me in the best manner.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Coops320 said:
What college is this being held at?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
RPD931 said:
Yeah, I remember hearing awhile back that the Chiefs of Police Assoc. wanted to create a college like program, similar to Florida or Cali, where you complete the program and you're basically a certified LEO. Some suspect it could occur in about 5 years. I wouldn't be too sure of it though.
Referring to this post... It was expected that these classes (MA) would be the same as the academics portion in the Academy. Still pass a PAT and complete other things like DT, firearms and First Responder. FL and CA do this and it contains all the same content as the "regular Academy" just obviously less physical as most of it is in the Classroom environment. And when you get "Certified" you also get a degree. This would allow more people to get certified on their own without PD sponsorship.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.