1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
They should be upset. How would our forefathers and mothers have felt if they were not allowed to come into the US? Personally, I say, let them all in if they have a trade specific talent, willingness to join the military, or will generally contribute to society in some way. Is that too conservative of me? (shrugs)

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
If they are here illegally, fuck 'em if they're upset. If they're here legally and still upset about immigration enforcement, fuck 'em anyways. Go back home and don't let the door of the coyote's van hit you in the ass on the way out!

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
They should be upset. How would our forefathers and mothers have felt if they were not allowed to come into the US? Personally, I say, let them all in if they have a trade specific talent, willingness to join the military, or will generally contribute to society in some way. Is that too conservative of me? (shrugs)
Our forefathers and mothers actually came through immigration points where they were innoculated against diseases and other illnesses of the day. If you had clear signs of disease, you went back onto the next ship. Basically nobody was turned away because they needed the labor and bodies for the military back then.

When you arrived, EVERYBODY worked. If you didn't, you starved. You contributed to the system. The G didn't hand out checks every 3 weeks back then to lazy slobs who didn't work. Immigrants today can't, or won't even push a broom because of their supposed "nervous condition" that SSI pays handsomely for.

Imagine, America circa 1890 where you came ashore at Ellis Island and the nice Port Of Entry Official handed you a $500 check just for showing up. Do you think America would still be around today if those liberal policies were in place back then? I don't think so, but that's what we're doing today.

You float over on an inner tube today, you're handed everything from housing, to groceries, on a silver platter. These are people that have not contributed one iota to the federal Social Security System but yet reap all the benefits that the hard working citizens of today who contribute, won't be allowed to collect.

Pelosi, Reid, Menino, and Obama are so quick to pass more stringent legislation on firearms and would be willing in my opinion, to go door to door for confiscation of said firearms. But if you ask them to do the same for criminaliens who are committing crimes by virtue of being in the US illegally, they say it can't be done & let's give them a clear path to citizenship.

I am all for legal entry into the USA if you posess a certain skill or meet the requirements set forth. But if you open the borders, you're inviting the scum of the earth in with some of the good people just like it is now. Enforcing the borders first should be the new presidents first agenda.

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
Our forefathers and mothers actually came through immigration points where they were innoculated against diseases and other illnesses of the day. If you had clear signs of disease, you went back onto the next ship. Basically nobody was turned away because they needed the labor and bodies for the military back then.
It may sound odd, but the ship manifests at Ellis Island are very interesting to read. Not only did they document who was coming in and where they came from, but also where they were going, who they were going to live with, how much money they had on them at the time of entry, if they had a ticket to their final destination, height, eye color, hair color, identifying marks, health, and whether or not they were required to pay a HEAD TAX FOR ENTRY. While it wasn't a perfect system, having descriptive information on the nearly every entrant would be far more useful with todays technology than it was 100 years ago. It is also interesting to note how many people were turned away or at least detained upon entry.

If anyone is ever interested in checking these documents out there is a free search at ellisisland.org. There is also a free search at castlegarden.org. But, I think that site is having some difficulty getting established. Castle Garden was a port of entry before Ellis Island, according to their site it was the 1st official port of entry in the US.

·
Still [] Square
195 Posts
I am all for legal entry into the USA if you posess a certain skill or meet the requirements set forth. But if you open the borders, you're inviting the scum of the earth in with some of the good people just like it is now. Enforcing the borders first should be the new presidents first agenda.
Thanks for making my point again. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts