Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ya'll!

Im a Massachusetts native, but currently live/work in a large department (One of the largest) in Texas. Been on the job roughly 2 years here and enjoy it. But, being from MA and knowing at one point at least, how difficult it was to get on any department really, has or is it at all possible to transfer from a Civil Service department OUT OF STATE? to MA? If Mass isn't recommended, any southern NH departments or even ME departments decent?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know for CS towns and cities in MA they only allow laterals from other CS towns and cities. Sounds like you already know that anyway by the way you worded the question. Coming from out of state is a good question though, I’m interested to see if anyone here knows the answer to that.

·
Subscribing Member
4,346 Posts
You can apply and get hired by a non CS Pd with your out of state certification if that police department wants you they can ask for a waiver from the MpTC. Same for CS but you’d have to be hired off the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
There has been a good ammount of non civil service towns hiring as of late in the western part of the state.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
118 Posts
if you're interested in transferring to a department in Maine, shoot me a pm. Id be happy to answer any questions. I really like the Kennebec area, but the south of the state is always looking, as is SP. Generally, you can pick your poison as far as what department you want to work for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
if you're interested in transferring to a department in Maine, shoot me a pm. Id be happy to answer any questions. I really like the Kennebec area, but the south of the state is always looking, as is SP. Generally, you can pick your poison as far as what department you want to work for.

Maine departments (Including state police) seem to offer some pretty low pay ($20-25/hr). Much overtime there? I don't imagine the cost of living is much less in Maine. Is there much OT available or do most have to buy a zero turn and single axle trailer for some extra $$

·
118 Posts
Maine departments (Including state police) seem to offer some pretty low pay ($20-25/hr). Much overtime there? I don't imagine the cost of living is much less in Maine. Is there much OT available or do most have to buy a zero turn and single axle trailer for some extra $$
Ok so here's how it goes up here... Pay is not as good as it is in other states(Especially Mass). That being said, most departments are so short, they'll let you take OT till you drop(some of the worse ones might make you :ROFLMAO: ). Most Full time officers make at least 25/hr starting, but you can find less higher north. Details aren't anything like they are in MA, so don't think you'll be getting big detail bucks. SP actually offers the lowest pay and incentives if you're looking at York/Cumberland county agencies, but they'll be the only way to find decent pay if you feel like living in Caribou.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Our agency is going tO have a few openings here in the near future and we typically give preference to laterals, including out of state(I transferred from mass in 2017). We are right outside of Portland, have a 20 year no-age retirement, tons of OT and details, low cost benefits and a $14,000 signing bonus for full time laterals. Anyone interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can answer any questions you may have and get you a copy of our contract. Also taking new hire applications as well. Requirements and process details are also available on our department website on the above flyer. Thanks and be safe!

·
118 Posts
View attachment 10627

Our agency is going tO have a few openings here in the near future and we typically give preference to laterals, including out of state(I transferred from mass in 2017). We are right outside of Portland, have a 20 year no-age retirement, tons of OT and details, low cost benefits and a $14,000 signing bonus for full time laterals. Anyone interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can answer any questions you may have and get you a copy of our contract. Also taking new hire applications as well. Requirements and process details are also available on our department website on the above flyer. Thanks and be safe!
You’re gonna have to up the pay for that starting wage clarkie, 22 an hr ain’t exactly top notch anymore. Rangeley PD pays more than that, as does state.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ok so here's how it goes up here... Pay is not as good as it is in other states(Especially Mass). That being said, most departments are so short, they'll let you take OT till you drop(some of the worse ones might make you :ROFLMAO: ). Most Full time officers make at least 25/hr starting, but you can find less higher north. Details aren't anything like they are in MA, so don't think you'll be getting big detail bucks. SP actually offers the lowest pay and incentives if you're looking at York/Cumberland county agencies, but they'll be the only way to find decent pay if you feel like living in Caribou.
I don’t think there’s many states that compare to the pay in Massachusetts. MSP and bigger cities. I’d be interested to see if there are state agencies that pay more than MSP, I doubt it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts