Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with the procedure for an Officer with civil service status laterally transferring to a civil service department if their current department has left civil service since they were hired?
Is the process any different ? does the current chief have to sign off on your departure still ? can the Officer simply resign and join the new agency?
Thanks if anyone has experience. This topic came up among co workers the other day. Seems like uncharted territory but maybe someone has experienced this. The Officers in this department retained their status personally as they were hired from a civil service list.

· Registered
113 Posts
I would say you retained your civil service status specifically to your agency and therefore would still follow civil service rules within your agency (although that seems really wonky to me)

As for lateral transfer I would say that is out to window as a civil service lateral must transfer from a civil service department. Therefore you would have to be on the other departments list and follow the same hiring guidelines as a new hire.

I would say inquire with MA civil service for an accurate awnser as this is just my best guess.

· Registered
1 Posts
You retain you civil service status in the position you were in when the agency left civil service. Example if you were a civil service patrol officer when your agency left you keep your civil service status as long as you stay in that position. If you get promote once your agency is out of civil service you lose your civil service status. As long as you stay in your civil service position you can transfer from your agency to a civil service department and the same civil service rules apply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts