Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking for advice / information regarding the group 4 retirement plan. I am planning a lateral transfer from one municipal department to another (different county / retirement board ). My original hire date was in 2007. I recently learned the group 4 pension plan changed for people hired after April 2012. I am concerned the transfer from one town to another could change my retirement to a post 2012 scenario. Would I be grandfathered into the previous group 4 pension chart considering I was contributing to the fund prior to 2012? Also, there will be no break in service. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hello,

Looking for advice / information regarding the group 4 retirement plan. I am planning a lateral transfer from one municipal department to another (different county / retirement board ). My original hire date was in 2007. I recently learned the group 4 pension plan changed for people hired after April 2012. I am concerned the transfer from one town to another could change my retirement to a post 2012 scenario. Would I be grandfathered into the previous group 4 pension chart considering I was contributing to the fund prior to 2012? Also, there will be no break in service. Thanks for any responses.
Your contributions will simply transfer over to the new retirement board, it has no effect on your original hire date for pension purposes. The pension reform law change in 2012 was only for those entering the system for the first time after 4/2/12.

·
75th N.H.P.A.
367 Posts
I think Bloodhound is right, but you may check by asking your old or new retirement system about the effect of a transfer.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think Bloodhound is right, but you may check by asking your old or new retirement system about the effect of a transfer.
In a matter this important, I would not only ask both, but do so in writing, on actual paper, and get their response in writing. Then keep those letters safe. Cheap insurance.

Reactions: NEPS
1 - 6 of 6 Posts