Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever test for LAPD? I booked my flight and hotel today... taking the test in April. Its my backup plan if VT state police don't work out. LAPD is hiring 30-60 per month for the next several months. I only have to make one more trip to finish off the application process after the written.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Man, how far do you have to go to take the test?!?! I took it in 2000 at JWU in Providence, I don't recall my score, but they were on me like flies on sh*t for about a year...phone calls, postcards, the whole nine yards. The money they offered me, even with a BA and 6+ years of military service, was not nearly enough to lure me out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went out to LA to check out the department...It was a nice department, the weather was outstanding..BUT it had a high burn out rate. Like NYPD they're both transitional departments. Officers tend to burn out after 5 years a lot of the officers were saying. That's why they're always looking. I don't know though, it's a toss up...New England weather for year round amazing weather...I might risk it. GOOD LUCK!! :D Tell us how you made out.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I would try and make it a 5 and out type deal... Hopefully get back to New England... CT or NH. Starting pay now with my AS degree is around $52k base to start... Thats not too bad. At least I could survive there. LAPD is my last resort tho... I still am in the running with several other departments around here

·
At your six
209 Posts
Myself and two of my buddies went to LA back in 2000 and went through their process. All three of us were offered jobs but I got cold feet and didn't want to move to the other side of the US. One of my buddies took the job and he has loved it out there ever since.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was there 1996-2000 and loved it. It's a great job for a single person or married with no kids. If my wife did not get pregnant with our first we would still be out there.

as for the burn out rate..... 3 years for me on patrol, then i went to traffic for a change of pace. depending on what division you work you may be handling 20 + radio calls a night, Oh yeah, throw in a couple misd and felony arrests per shift.........

don't get me wrong there have been many nights that we only handle a few calls, but those are few and far between.

It was a Great experience for me, I would recommend it for anyone.

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
I'm with the LAPD now. Joined back in 1988 after having no luck getting on in Mass. I'm also from the South Shore. It's a great job out here, especially if you want to work. It's almost always busy, lots to do. Depending on what division you work, you can be real busy or just somewhat busy. We now have 19 different divisions to chose from. The city is 465 square miles with about 4.5 million people so it's pretty big.

I can help you with the testing if you'd like. I'm a sergeant and I sit on entry level oral boards once a month. Let me know if I can help you out.

As a sergeant I can also take you on a ride along if you'd like. That might give you a better idea if you'd like it. I'm glad I did it, it's been a blast the whole time!

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
Finding Nemo";p="56298 said:
Hey La Copper what is the 19th division? is it North Valley?

Are you Mike P?

If you are.....D. Alpers here we worked together in NHWD
Hi Dave,
Yes, it's me, excellent memory! And yes, it's North Valley Division, except they changed the name to Mission Division.

Are you still working the railroad job?

·
Registered
157 Posts
LA Copper";p="56324 said:
Are you Mike P?

Hi Dave,
Yes, it's me, excellent memory! And yes, it's North Valley Division, except they changed the name to Mission Division.
Big Bill C from WPD says hi.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Nemo, Not too familiar with LAPD or big city PD's for that matter...Could you define the difference between traffic and Patrol assignments/duties?

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
How is the academy, I notice they only take laterals from Ca post certified people with CA police experince. So I know I would have to go to a long ass academy? How bad is it and how long?

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
Macop";p="56376 said:
How is the academy, I notice they only take laterals from Ca post certified people with CA police experince. So I know I would have to go to a long ass academy? How bad is it and how long?
You're right, we only take laterals from within California. Even then I believe their academy is still 6 or 7 weeks long. As you might imagine, LAPD does things a bit different from other departments.

The academy is 7 months long. It's not as bad as when I went through in '88. You will have to be in shape and be able to run about 5 miles at a fairly slow pace. It's not live in so at least you get to go home at night. From talking with friends of mine in Mass, our academy is more strict than back there. We are "para-military" so there is a respect for rank and such.

We have people from all over the world attending some of our classes so the training is very good. There is a BIG emphasis on tactics. I would recommend it. Feel free to e-mail me if I can answer any other questions.

·
Registered
253 Posts
RPD931";p="56353 said:
Nemo, Not too familiar with LAPD or big city PD's for that matter...Could you define the difference between traffic and Patrol assignments/duties?
Patrol handles radio calls ( calls for service), self initiated activities, traffic/ped stops etc....

Traffic handles traffic collisions, No patrol radio calls. Traffic units can roll to any call they want to if they are close enough to back up another unit.
But their primary responsibility is investigating traffic collisions. However pushing an "a" car (patrol) does not exempt you from handling traffic collisions.........If the T-cars are not busy they will generally take the traffic collision from the patrol unit.

hope this helps

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Thanks for the info L.A Copper

7 months huh, dam i'd go nuts, the 21 Wks here drove me up the wall. It was like being in prison. Its not the running or academics so much but doing the time is what would drive me into madness. I have entertained the though of doing the 3wk basic course waiver and then trying to get in as a lateral to other p.ds. I would of course find which p.ds accept it as I found that some like Santa Monica wont take it but I found that Rhedondo Beach will. But it would be like playing Russian Roulette, I move out there get the waiver if I pass the tests and get a security job or something in the L.E field and then start appplying to p.d s that accept the BCW but that seems to risky to me. If I am correct there are no p.ds in CA that will hire an out-of-state officer and send him/her through the BCW process as an paid emplyoee such as in most other states. But if I am wrong and anyone knows of p.ds that will I would very much appreciate the info.

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
Joe B";p="56336 said:
LA Copper";p="56324 said:
Are you Mike P?

Hi Dave,
Big Bill C from WPD says hi.
Would that be Bill Cam?

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
Macop";p="56391 said:
Thanks for the info L.A Copper

7 months huh, dam i'd go nuts, the 21 Wks here drove me up the wall. It was like being in prison. Its not the running or academics so much but doing the time is what would drive me into madness. I have entertained the though of doing the 3wk basic course waiver and then trying to get in as a lateral to other p.ds. I would of course find which p.ds accept it as I found that some like Santa Monica wont take it but I found that Rhedondo Beach will. But it would be like playing Russian Roulette, I move out there get the waiver if I pass the tests and get a security job or something in the L.E field and then start appplying to p.d s that accept the BCW but that seems to risky to me. If I am correct there are no p.ds in CA that will hire an out-of-state officer and send him/her through the BCW process as an paid emplyoee such as in most other states. But if I am wrong and anyone knows of p.ds that will I would very much appreciate the info.
I don't blame you about the 7 months. It is a long time. You are paid full salary while attending though and you don't have to live there. Plus, most of the classes are at least somewhat interesting. If you ever travel out here, I could take you by there and you could talk to some of the instructors and see what you think.

As far as the BCW process, you're best bet would be to speak with California POST in Sacramento. They could probably give you a list of departments you're looking for.

If you were to test with LAPD, you could do that from back there. Just fly out here twice and the whole testing process would be completed. You wouldn't need to live out here first like you do in Mass. Plus, there is no residency rule, which I think is great!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.