LAPD Traffic Stop OIS Bodycam/Dashcam | MassCops

LAPD Traffic Stop OIS Bodycam/Dashcam

Discussion in 'Patrol' started by Hush, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Fast and violent shooting during a traffic stop in LA of a known gang member. Shooter is extremely calm, cooperative, and compliant until he quickly draws and attempts to shoot 2 officers. He kept his hands up and in plain view, moved slowly and deliberately to lull the officers into complacency, and moved swiftly when he saw an opening. Drew from concealment, and got first round hit on contact officer. Cover officer reacted immediately and put him down before tending to the wounded officer. Thoughts/discussion?

2. Danusmc0321

Danusmc0321 MassCops Member

Saw this one yesterday, shitty situation but good video for training and for the public to see how fast things can turn from cordial to violent without much indication. Not everything is preventable, they were tactically sound in there initial approach from what I saw. Thank god that backup officer broke leather as fast as he did. If she was by herself, this would have been very bad. If your lucky enough to have a backup officer, or your the backup at the passenger window, make sure your light and eyes are sweeping the vehicle and occupants as much as you can while the contact is talking. Pretty sure that gun came out from the side of the seat. Might have not be visible, but if it was and cover officer had seen it, it would have made a huge difference on approach. At night I go around the back of my cruiser and don’t use my light until I’m right up on them. Usually with the takedowns and my led spot I can see most of the car even at night, and it blinds them on your approach. I’ll sometimes stand there and watch the operator or look in the car without them knowing I’m there for a min in the dark to see how they are reacting to me or if there is anything I can see in plain view while they think I’m still in my cruiser. That last one I’ll do a lot with people with long records like this guy. If the backup officer had sneaked up to the passenger side to watch his hands and get a look in the car before the contact was made, might have seen him moving the gun from one place to another. But like I said, this is Monday morning Qb, they did very well and reacted to a shitty situation. This can happen to anyone, including myself, be safe and listen to your gut, slow everything down and wait until the advantage is on your side.

LA Copper, pahapoika, Goose and 2 others like this.
  3. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

This looks very similar to how the incident where Ofc. Moynihan was shot on H-block played out. Removing a known gang member from the MV, cooperative until he shot the officer, close-range shooting. Both Officers handled this well.

Goose and Hush like this.
  4. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Man that was quick. Glad that officer is okay. Although would hate to get shot anywhere. LA must have some great paramedics, but it's hard to beat Boston EMS.

LA Copper and 02136colonel like this.
  5. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Boston EMS and Boston City Hospital... without them, the city’s homicide rate would probably be double what it currently is, with the same number of shootings

LA Copper and pahapoika like this.
  6. Hush

Watch a Dave Grossman lecture...modern medicine is the ONLY thing keeping the murder rate down.
    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

7. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

The suspect had the gun between his body and the center console so it wasn't visible to the passenger officer. When he brought it out towards the driver officer, he placed it up under her vest but she saw it and pushed it down, which caused the round to hit her in the thigh. (She ended up losing a couple of inches of her femur, which had to be replaced with a rod.)The passenger officer "was on it" as we saw how fast he drew his firearm and got into the gunfight with good hits.

It is common practice on traffic stops for LAPD officers to have gangsters exit the vehicle and walk up to the sidewalk. The mistake here, which the officer already knows (I know her) is that she was standing too close to the door when it was opened, thus giving the suspect the opportunity to do what he did.

We can learn from every incident, good or bad, which is why LAPD debriefs almost every tactical incident. If it makes us better for the next time, then that's a good thing.

Drebbin, visible25, kwflatbed and 2 others like this.
  8. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Thank you for the narrative LA. Sorry to hear about that officer's extensive injuries. Hope she'll be okay

LA Copper likes this.
  9. Hush

I think LA Copper will agree, there are bad guys everywhere but the west coast has a special breed of BAD guy. Hard core gang member who knew the game and how to act EXACTLY. Tried for a contact shot under the vest. Calm, cool, and collected. Had she been farther back, she could have been shot in the head. If she hasn't had her partner there who reacted so incredibly quickly, she'd most likely have been executed on the ground. Instead we have an incredible teaching video from 3 angles, a wounded but ALIVE officer, a heroic partner, and a dead bad guy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk