Lance Corporal Kevin Preach - KIA Afghanistan (Merged Threads) | MassCops

Lance Corporal Kevin Preach - KIA Afghanistan (Merged Threads)

Discussion in 'Military News' started by kwflatbed, Feb 5, 2009.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Mother says Kevin Preach lost legs, a hand and is in medically induced coma

[​IMG]

courtesy photo
    Kevin Preach, 21, of Bridgewater is shown with his mother, Laurie Hayes. Preach was badly injured in Afghanistan on Jan. 24 when the Humvee in which he was a gunner was hit by an improvised explosive device.

By Theresa Knapp Enos
    ENTERPRISE CORRESPONDENT
    Posted Feb 05, 2009 @ 02:34 AM
    Last update Feb 05, 2009 @ 09:27 AM

BRIDGEWATER —

Marine Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach, 21, always wanted to serve his country.
    “He always wanted to be a Marine, ever since he was a little boy,” said his mother, Laurie Hayes, of Bridgewater. “He was always playing with G.I. Joe, and, when he got older, I thought he might change his mind, but he didn’t. He still wanted to be a Marine.”
    After graduating from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School in 2007, Preach joined the Marine Corps and was eventually stationed in Farah Province, Afghanistan, as a machine gunner with Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Marines, as part of Operation Enduring Freedom.
    Ten days ago, on Jan. 24, the Humvee in which Preach was a gunner was hit by an improvised explosive device and he was badly injured. He was transported to a medical site in Germany for surgery. He was stabilized and transferred to Brooks Army Medical Center in San Antonio, where he remains in a medically induced coma.
    “He is very seriously injured,” his mother said from the Texas medical complex. “He’s lost his legs. He’s lost a hand. He’s seriously burned. He’s very burned. It’s not even day-to-day, it’s really hour-to-hour.”
    Hayes says at least two other soldiers who are close friends of her son were also in the Humvee during the attack, including Kenneth Bowen of Michigan, who was also transferred to Brooks, and Julian Brennan of South Carolina, who was killed.
    While Hayes prays for her son’s recovery, she wants people to know about injured soldiers and the sacrifices they are making for their country. Many of the injured work on the medical campus and have been helping Hayes during her stay.
    “You usually just hear about the soldiers who are killed. All these guys deserve a lot more attention than they’re getting,” said Hayes. “A lot of people who don’t know somebody in the military just don’t have a clue about the sacrifices these guys are making. I see guys with no legs, no arms, burns and God knows what else — and this is just one hospital.”
    Hayes says she is pleased with the treatment her son is receiving and the hospitality she has been shown, adding that she may stay in Texas for a year.
    “I know this is the best place for Kevin right now,” said Hayes, noting that Preach could be in the hospital enduring surgery after surgery for two years. “Everything has changed; he will need constant care for the rest of his life. Everything has completely changed.”
    Hayes said Preach cannot receive anything inside his sterile room, but she will read him cards and letters that are mailed to him.
    Preach’s siblings include Michelle Bailey of Brockton, Kristin Pagnotta of Taunton, and Daniel, 18, who will graduate from Parris Island Marine Corps Recruit Depot next week and will serve as a Reservist.

TIMELINE

Marine Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach
    • May 2007: Graduated from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School.
    • Oct. 29, 2007: Joined U.S. Marine Corps.
    • Jan. 25, 2008: Graduated Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C.
    • Feb. 2008: Stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C.
    • Nov. 12, 2008: Deployed to Farah Province, Afghanistan, Operation Enduring Freedom.
    • Jan. 24, 2009: Lost both legs, one hand and was badly burned by an IED.
    • Jan. 27, 2009: Arrived Brooks Army Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas.
    HOW TO HELP

• Readers can send cards and letters to: Marine Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach, 3857 Roger Brook Drive, Room 4 South, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234.
    • Donations can be made to: Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund, 825 College Blvd., Suite 102 PMB 609, Oceanside, CA 92057. For more information on the fund, visit www.semperfifund.org.
    http://www.enterprisenews.com/homepage/x148715543/Badly-injured-Bridgewater-Marine-returns-to-U-S

2. StbbrnMedic

StbbrnMedic fraggle tamer

Re: Mom: Bridgewater soldier clinging to life in Texas

Still so young. Just a pup.
    Thank you Lance Cpl. Preach for your service.

3. Simon

Simon Guest

+1 Semper Fi and GODSPEED

4. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

+2

5. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

I hope he pulls through. Thank you for your Service!

6. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

+3 Get well MARINE

OMG! "soldier" clinging to life?

7. JMB1977

JMB1977 New Member

My Thoughts and prayers to the entire family.

8. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Hang in there Kevin. You got a lot of people pulling for you. :thumbup:

9. 6083

6083 New Member

stay strong brother!

10. NoSoupForYou

NoSoupForYou Adios, muchacho!

Unfortunately Kevin passed away today. I didn't personally know him but he is from my town and I have spoke too people who did know him and had nothing but great things to say about him. Rest In Peace and thank you for your service to this great nation, God bless you and your family. You are a true hero.

11. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

RIP LCpl. Preach. You will not be forgotten.

12. StbbrnMedic

Oh how sad.
    RIP LCpl. Preach. Prayers for your family and friends who will miss you dearly.

13. kwflatbed

I was just going to post this article for prayers.

Marine Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach rest in peace.

Facebook helps Bridgewater soldier’s family cope

Bridgewater Marine was seriously injured in Afghanistan

[​IMG]
    Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach and Brianna Kelliher pose at the Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School Senior Prom in May of 2008.

By Theresa Knapp Enos
    Enterprise Correspondent

BRIDGEWATER —

Kyle Buak, an Army private first class who graduated from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School in 2007, first learned of classmate Marine Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach’s injuries through the Internet.
    “I happened to be on Facebook one night and saw a picture of Kevin in his uniform and wondered what happened to him,” said Buak from his Army base in Texas, where he’s an aircraft engine mechanic preparing to deploy to Iraq.
    When Preach, 21, was seriously injured in Afghanistan two weeks ago, his girlfriend created “Prayers for Kevin Preach” on the popular social networking site www.facebook.com to spread the word to family and friends, and to ask people to pray for Preach.
    The result was overwhelming, said Brianna Kelliher, 18, Preach’s girlfriend of two years.
    “I had no idea at the time that it was going to become such a huge deal,” said Kelliher, who said hundreds of new members join the group daily. “I initially only invited 150 people to join and there are now about 1,700 members. It is amazing and comforting to see how many people love and care about Kevin.”
    As of Friday, the site had 1,884 members.
    As of Saturday, Preach remained in Brooks Army Medical Center in San Antonio in a medically induced coma after the Humvee in which Preach was a gunner was hit by an improvised explosive device and he was badly injured on Jan. 24. According to his mother, Laurie Hayes of Bridgewater, Preach lost both legs and a hand and is seriously burned.
    But she appreciates the sentiments of those who made left messages of support on the Web site.
    “It means a lot to me that those people are thinking of Kevin and praying for him,” said Hayes from Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
    Kelliher created the Facebook page to keep friends and family updated with information about Preach.
    “I did not want rumors being started about the situation, so I made the page to make sure everyone knew the truth.”
    After days of detailing his injuries, she removed the graphic details after the news media started reporting solely from her page.
    Created in 2004, Facebook, which claims to be the second-most traveled site on the Web, allows members to create a detailed profile, find friends, create networks, share photos, and exchange email with any of its 150 million active users.
    Experts agree that the advantages of such social networking sites include the informality and flexibility of the communication, but disadvantages include a loss of privacy.
    “It is like an electronic town common,” said Anne Mattina, associate professor of communication at Stonehill College. “Facebook is an excellent way of reaching out and connecting with people from various parts of our lives, our family and current friends, those we have lost touch with, and others who share our interests, politics, hobbies.”
    Preach’s classmate Buak said he uses Facebook to stay connected while he is away from his hometown of Raynham.
    “It’s a great tool to keep in touch with friends and family especially because I know a lot of people in my graduating class went on to join some sort of branch of the military,” said Buak. “It’s a great way to keep up with your classmates two or three years down the road.”
    Kelliher says some of the most interesting Facebook posts are from people who have never met Preach, and notes she has been surprised by genuine comments from “people who you never really thought would say such beautiful things, people who knew of Kevin in high school or at some other point but were never really close with him.”
    She also says that remarks such as “You are a gift from God” and “You are a hero to all of us” have been a source of comfort.
    Kelliher urges people to join the group to leave messages of support for Preach’s family. To join Preach’s Facebook page, log onto www.facebook.com and insert “Prayers for Kevin Preach” in the search engine. It is an open “global” group that any member can join.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/x1536017007/Facebook-helps-Bridgewater-soldier-s-family-cope

14. NoSoupForYou

NoSoupForYou Adios, muchacho!

15. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Thanks for the link msp.

Thoughts and prayers and a great many thanks out to LCpl Kevin Preach and his family and friends.

16. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

For the honor of sending words of comfort and support to this brave patriots family, I'll be happy to....
    Thanks MSP.

Rest in Piece LCpl Kevin Preach and God bless.

17. kwflatbed

Bridgewater mourns loss of first soldier since Vietnam to die in combat

[​IMG]

Courtesy photo
    Kevin Preach

By Theresa Knapp Enos and Maria Papadopoulos
    The Enterprise
    Posted Feb 08, 2009 @ 11:34 PM
    Last update Feb 09, 2009 @ 12:41 AM

BRIDGEWATER —

Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach, who died Saturday from injuries sustained in combat while in Afghanistan, will be remembered for his smile, his sense of humor, and his selflessness. He was 21.

American flags in town were lowered to half-staff on Sunday in his memory.

“It’s clearly a tragedy that reaches across the whole town,” selectmen Chairman Herbert J. Lemon Jr. said Sunday, hours after learning of Bridgewater’s first military casualty from the War on Terror.

Preach was injured on Jan. 24 when the Humvee in which he was a gunner was hit by an improvised explosive device. He was at Brooks Army Medical Center in San Antonio in a medically induced coma last week. According to his mother, Laurie Hayes of Bridgewater, Preach lost both legs and a hand and was badly burned.

He was the first Bridgewater soldier to lose his life in service since the Vietnam War, says Bridgewater Veterans’ Agent Roderick K. Walsh.
    “He was the funniest person I have ever met,” said Brianna Kelliher of Bridgewater, 18, Preach’s girlfriend of three years. “He would always make sure that everyone around him was comfortable, so he would always tell jokes. He was a gentleman, always opening car doors for girls and looking out for everyone around him, and he was the most selfless person. He was always happy and always made everyone around him happy. And of course he was the best boyfriend I will ever have.”

Preach was deployed to Afghanistan on Nov. 12, 2008. It was his first deployment. Preach served in southern Afghanistan, in Farah Province, according to the U.S. Marine Corps.

His awards included the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the National Defense Service Medal.

“It’s a great loss,” Lemon said. “This is a kid that died serving his country. I can only imagine what his family is going through right now.”

Barbara Murdoch, a history teacher at Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School, met Preach when he took her “History of the Vietnam War” elective class. Five boys in that class planned to enlist in the military, she said.

“He was very interested in the class, especially the military angle of it. He had that attitude that he wanted to (be a Marine) and he was going to do it and that was it,” said Murdoch. “He was always just a real nice, nice kid to have in class. He was really kind of a quiet kid with a beautiful smile. That’s what I remember a lot about him — his beautiful smile.”

Dan Linehan, 19, of Bridgewater, met Preach in middle school when Preach moved from Brockton to Bridgewater. They soon became fast friends and graduated together in 2007 from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School.

“He was quiet at first, but that is not at all who he was,” said Linehan. “He was outgoing, friendly. He was a very, very unselfish kid. He just wanted to be in the Marines to show that he could do something to help. That was the kind of person he was — he always wanted to help.”

Preach’s family and friends said he always wanted to be a Marine since he was a young child, perhaps because his father had been one as well.

“He knew what it entailed, and he never complained or talked about how dangerous it was,” said Kelliher. “He once said that he wasn’t afraid to die, he was just afraid of what it would do to all the people around him. He really wasn’t afraid of anything. He would have been more upset if the accident had happened to anyone other than himself. He probably would have been angry that he couldn’t get right back up and keep on fighting. He lived for protecting our country.”

On Sunday morning at the Bridgewater fire stations on School and Plymouth streets, firefighters lowered flags at half staff minutes after learning of Preach’s death, said Bridgewater Fire Capt Joe Cairns.

“We lowered them as soon as possible, out of respect and honor to him,” Cairns said of Preach. “It really is a sad day.”

Another B-R graduate, Jared Monti, 30, a Raynham native, was killed in action in Afghanistan on June 21, 2006, as he attempted to help two injured soldiers.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/homep...-first-soldier-since-Vietnam-to-die-in-combat

18. kwflatbed

‘He was the perfect brother': Daniel Preach addresses funeral gathering

Bridgewater honors Kevin T. Preach, who died last month in Afghanistan

[​IMG]

Tim Correira/The Enterprise
    The casket carrying the body of Lance Cpl. Kevin Preach of Bridgewater is loaded by Marines into to the Central Square Congregational Church during his funeral Wednesday. Preach died as a result of injuries he sustained in Afghanistan, Bridgewater's first war death since Vietnam.

[​IMG]

The hearse and funeral procession travel through the center of Bridgewater on their way to the Central Square Congregational Church during the funeral for Lance Cpl. Kevin Preach of Bridgewater, who died as a result of injuries he sustained in Afghanistan. It is Bridgewater's first war death since Vietnam.

[​IMG]

By Jessica Scarpati
    ENTERPRISE STAFF WRITER
    Posted Feb 18, 2009 @ 11:39 AM
    Last update Feb 18, 2009 @ 12:47 PM

BRIDGEWATER —

Speaking publicly for the first time, U.S. Marine Private Daniel J. Preach choked on tears as he addressed a packed church at the funeral services for his brother, Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach, this morning in Bridgewater.
    “He was the guy you’d want your son to grow up to be and your daughter to date,” he said. “For me, he was the perfect brother.”
    Brianna Kelliher, his girlfriend of two years, described Preach as “the person everyone strived to be like.”
    “Kevin is the type of guy that only exists in a girl’s dreams,” she said.
    Laurie Hayes, Preach's mother, remained solemn and silent as her younger son helped carry out her older son’s flag-draped coffin. She grimaced as it was loaded into the hearse, and was unable to watch the process entirely.
    The funeral procession was headed to the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne, where Preach, 21, would be laid to rest.
    Earlier, as Preach's body was brought to the church for the service, gentle piano music and tearful sniffling were the only sounds in the usually bustling center of Bridgewater.
    Hundreds gathered around Central Square Congregational Church to watch U.S. Marines carry the coffin into the church.
    Veteran police officers and firefighters stood at salute while dozens of others wiped tears from their eyes and held flags.
    Just after 10:30 a.m., Preach's mother entered the church, flanked by relatives and loved ones, including his girlfriend of two years, Brianna Kelliher.
    Gov. Deval Patrick entered the church behind them.
    “It goes to here,” said Rhonda Roberts, 63, of West Bridgewater, touching her heart with tears in her eyes as she stood watching the procession.
    Dozens of people stood outside the church as a loudspeaker broadcast the funeral service.
    Earlier, mourners gathered at Bridgewater common, clutching flags to honor Preach, as they waited for his funeral procession to pass by.
    Firefighters from Raynham, and Bridgewater suspended a flag over the procession route on Route 18, using fire tower trucks.
    Paul St. Andre, 22, of Brockton, was on his way to class at Bridgewater State College but came early to see the procession.
    He said he has friends serving in the military in Iraq.
    “I’m not really an emotional person, but when I saw the flag, it brought a tear to my eyes,” Andre said.
    Bette Stewart, 72, of Bridgewater, stood crying near a memorial set up earlier this week to honor Preach in front of town hall.
    She said she didn’t know the Preach family but the young man’s death hit her hard.
    “This has knocked me out. It is overwhelming,” she said. “It really is. I just hate war and I don’t like young men losing their lives.”
    Preach died on Feb. 7 at Brooks Army Medical Center in San Antonio from wounds suffered in Afghanistan when the Humvee, in which he was a gunner, was hit by an improvised explosive device on Jan. 24.
    Preach was a 2007 graduate of Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/homep...tend-funeral-for-fallen-Marine-in-Bridgewater

19. Simon

Simon Guest

RIP

[​IMG]

20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

RIP Lance Corporal Preach.

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of "soldiers" have been killed in Iraq and Afganistan as well. The term isn't exactly an insult.

21. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Rest in Peace warrior.

22. kwflatbed

Bridgewater Marine buried in Bourne
    Bridgewater honors Kevin T. Preach, who died this month following injuries received in Afghanistan

[​IMG]

U.S. Marine Private Daniel J. Preach, left front, helps carry the casket of his brother Kevin from the Central Square Congregational Church on Wednesday in Bridgewater. Also shown are Kevin Preach’s girlfriend, Brianna Kelliher and his mother, Laurie Hayes, center.

By Jessica Scarpati
    ENTERPRISE STAFF WRITER
    Posted Feb 18, 2009 @ 11:39 AM
    Last update Feb 19, 2009 @ 08:13 AM

BRIDGEWATER —

Daniel J. Preach kissed the fingertips of his white Marine glove and rested it on his brother’s coffin.
    It was his last moment with his older brother, Marine Lance Cpl. Kevin T. Preach, whose casket he helped carry all morning from the funeral home, up and down the stairs of their church and into its final resting place — the national cemetery.
    The younger Preach, 18, had shadowed his brother in every way he could — playing football, joining the U.S. Marine Corps — yet here they would have to part.
    But giving up was not the legacy his brother had left him.
    “He never let me win at anything. It made me work harder at everything,” he had told a packed church earlier Wednesday at the funeral services.
    “He taught me that valuable lesson without saying a thing,” he added. “My brother, my inspiration, my best friend, my hero — I love you, Kevin, and I won’t let you down.”
    At the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne, U.S. Marine Private Preach lowered his face and dabbed at each eye with the back of his glove.
    A funeral home employee asked if he was ready to go. He sniffled, raised his chin and silently strode back into the limousine where his mother, Laurie Hayes, waited, her face pinched with grief.
    The fallen Bridgewater Marine, who died Feb. 7 after suffering extensive wounds in combat in Afghanistan, would later be buried after the mourners left.
    Preach, 21, had been awarded the Purple Heart for his injuries — sustained after the Humvee, in which he was a gunner, was hit by an improvised explosive device on Jan. 24.
    The 2007 Bridgewater-Raynham Regional High School graduate was Bridgewater’s first military death since the Vietnam War.
    At the service earlier at Central Square Congregational Church, the younger Preach choked back sobs.
    “He was the guy you’d want your son to grow up to be and your daughter to date,” he said. “For me, he was the perfect brother.”
    Brianna Kelliher — Preach’s girlfriend of two years — lingered near the coffin of her high school sweetheart at the cemetery after the brief service there.
    Her friends called her. She told them to wait. Kelliher, 18, bent over and took two red and two yellow roses from a nearby arrangement.
    The flowers were not just a final remembrance from that day. They harkened back to an afternoon Kelliher and Preach had spent on a strenuous hike in New Hampshire just before he went to boot camp.
    “We never made it to the top of the mountain,” Kelliher told mourners at the church.
    “I complained and vowed to never climb that mountain again,” she said. “But he said, ‘I will climb that mountain all the way to the top again right now if the world’s prettiest flower was up there because you deserve to have that flower.’”
    He was a “disciplined, courageous and honorable” Marine, in addition to a romantic, she said.
    “He was the person everyone strived to be like,” Kelliher said. “Kevin is the type of guy that only exists in a girl’s dreams.”
    By 10 a.m., hundreds of mourners had gathered in Bridgewater to watch the funeral procession as it traveled up Bedford Street into the center of town.
    Families clutched flags as veterans, police officers, firefighters and military personnel saluted.
    The Marines — including the younger Preach — who had carried the flag-draped coffin each rested a gloved hand on the hearse that carried it through town.
    As mourners gathered inside, the gentle tinkling of piano music and tearful sniffling were the only sounds heard on the usually bustling town common.
    Close friends, family and classmates sat in the upper level of the small white church, while other mourners were able to watch the services on a projection screen downstairs. Those who waited outside could hear it broadcast on loudspeakers.
    Gov. Deval Patrick attended the 45-minute church service, following the Preach family inside just before 11 a.m.
    As the Marines, led by the younger Preach, emerged from the white wooden church doors with the coffin, Preach’s mother offered an encouraging smile to her son’s young girlfriend.
    Her lips quivered and she quickly bowed her head as the Marines loaded the coffin inside — seemingly unable to bear watching the slow, ceremonious process.
    Cold winds whipped the flags at the cemetery and bagpipes began to play about 1:30 p.m., as the Marines removed the coffin from the hearse one last time.
    “To say his body is dead is true ... but his love will never die,” said the Rev. Kristy Coburn, associate pastor at Central Square Congregational Church and Navy Reserve chaplain, who led the brief service, which concluded with a 21-gun salute.

Videos: http://www.enterprisenews.com/homep...tend-funeral-for-fallen-Marine-in-Bridgewater

23. StbbrnMedic

I can imagine there wasn't a dry eye anywhere around that church.
    Rest In Peace Marine. You have earned it.

24. Nighttrain

Nighttrain MassCops Member

Lance Corporal Kevin Preach - KIA Afghanistan

Kevin's family and girlfriend will be setting up a table outside of the Roche Brothers supermarket in Bridgewater on Sat. March 7 from 9am to approximately 2pm. They will be selling bracelets to commemorate Kevins service and ultimate sacrifice. The bracelts are $3 and proceeds will go to the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund.

[​IMG]

25. StbbrnMedic

Re: Lance Corporal Kevin Preach - KIA Afghanistan

Wish I lived closer. Would love to go by there to buy a bracelet and shake their hands.

26. EBPD240

EBPD240 New Member

Re: Lance Corporal Kevin Preach - KIA Afghanistan

I,m right next door, I'll have to see if I can get a check from my Assoc and stop by.