Lady Gaga and the death of sex | MassCops

Lady Gaga and the death of sex

Discussion in 'Entertainment & Literature' started by cc3915, Sep 12, 2010.

1. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Lady Gaga is the first major star of the digital age. Since her rise, she has remained almost continually on tour. Hence, she is a moving target who has escaped serious scrutiny. She is often pictured tottering down the street in some outlandish get-up and fright wig. Most of what she has said about herself has not been independently corroborated… “Music is a lie”, “Art is a lie”, “Gaga is a lie”, and “I profusely lie” have been among Gaga’s pronouncements, but her fans swallow her line whole…

She constantly touts her symbiotic bond with her fans, the “little monsters”, who she inspires to “love themselves” as if they are damaged goods in need of her therapeutic repair. “You’re a superstar, no matter who you are!” She earnestly tells them from the stage, while their cash ends up in her pockets. She told a magazine with messianic fervour: “I love my fans more than any artist who has ever lived.” She claims to have changed the lives of the disabled, thrilled by her jewelled parody crutches in the Paparazzi video.

Although she presents herself as the clarion voice of all the freaks and misfits of life, there is little evidence that she ever was one. Her upbringing was comfortable and eventually affluent, and she attended the same upscale Manhattan private school as Paris and Nicky Hilton. There is a monumental disconnect between Gaga’s melodramatic self-portrayal as a lonely, rebellious, marginalised artist and the powerful corporate apparatus that bankrolled her makeover and has steamrollered her songs into heavy rotation on radio stations everywhere.

Lady Gaga and the death of sex | The Sunday Times

[​IMG]

2. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

3. cmagryan

cmagryan Subscribing Member

- I actually like the 'before' version ...

4. DEI8

DEI8 Supporting Member

Wouldn't toss either one of them out of my bed.

5. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

Agreed

6. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Christ, at 4:08 & 5:03 she banging the ivory like Jelly Roll Morton used to and that's saying something.

Doesn't appear to me like she needed to sell her dignity and turn into the freak she's become for fortune. She would have done quite well just as she was.

7. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

[​IMG]
    You know how I know you're gay? You said you would sleep with Lady Gaga.

8. HuskyH-2

HuskyH-2 G-Rap made me do it!

the before isnt bad, but the lady gaga i know grosses me out.

9. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

They're all friggin' nuts, from her and her attention whore wacky antics to the one's who buy the tabloids looking for a peek into their "lives."
    Looks like she actually had talent which is rare in Hollyweird:rolleyes:

10. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

11. grn3charlie

Unfortunately Harry, I can only thank you once!

12. 5-0

5-0 Guest

I was thinking about sleeping with Lady Gaga... but every time she whips it out, I get penis envy.

13. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

I'm amazed that she can actually sing. I had the distinct misfortune of having to listen to her a couple of years ago at Jingle Ball. The way they kept cutting to video & never showed her close up while she.... uhhh, hmmm, can't call it singing..... made some sort of vocalization made me think that she was lip sinking. She probably was, who knows. All I can tell you is that after the first 30 seconds of her act, I was looking for something to puncture my ear drums with. I think that was the year that Katie Perry was there. They could have cut out gaga & put Katie on for a few more songs & I would have been ok. Actually, they could have put anyone else on that was there & it would have been better.

14. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Ugghhh, what a tool Lady Gaga is (and I heard has). But since we all have our own Ipods in the Law house, I have one of her songs on mine (taken from my kid's library) and a few of Katy Perry's as well. Hey, so what, I'm gay for one song!

15. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

Yea, yea, yea. The truth is, there are probably people on here with great musical talent. It's everywhere. Those who succeed do it by luck and differentiation. Without the freak antics, she's a talented NYU grad. Instead, she is laughing all the way to the bank, all the while creating a persona and look for herself that means you won't recognize her if she chooses to give it up.

16. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Quite insightful.

She's obviously a talent and has a sort of brilliance that has kept her so popular. I'm not a fan of her music and her 'personna' is a bit much for me, but then again, in the decades before MY time (REALLY) Little Richard was considered "OUT THERE" (still is actually). Each generation has had it's own Lady GaGa and each Lady GaGa has been a huge splash at first, then, after all the hoopla, a lasting influence.

That clip from NYU does show, this gal has talent to spare. I just want to finish by saying, until Lady GaGa goes away and THAT girl comes back, I'll just keep changing the station.

17. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

At least she has talent--you don't get offered a free ride to Juliard as a no-talent ass-clown. Problem is, talent is not a prerequisite--only a helpful addition--to being a sucessful pop musician. It just isn't. You need to have a look, a selling point, a persona. Lady Gaga happens to have all those AND talent.
    Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. If she wasn't Lady Gaga, she'd be an obscure NYU music student grad looking for a music teaching job or playing in an orchestra somewhere doing piano sonatas.

This isn't anything new--though our society did use to value talent more so than they do today, some of the biggest acts were just that: all about the act rather than the music. Prime example: Everytime my wife plays that stupid "Tic-Toc" song on her iPod, I want to tear my ears out. The singing is all fake. She can't belt worth the shit, and there isn't one line of sigining in that song that doesn't use pitch correction. Miley Cyrus isn't much better.

But you know what? Modern Tin Pan Alley will continue to write catchy pop songs for them to sing and they'll continue to pump out shit they can make ringtones out of, that not conincidentally will sell for three times the price of the full length song. The music industry is just that--an industry, and a nasty one to boot. Money is the object, and it is aquired by giving the majority of people what they want: garbage.

By that logic, I must be queer as a 3 dollar bill. I would do everything to her.

18. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

I know that the wacked out society wants these "artists" to jump through hoops to get paid but it's just not for me. Being fake and trying too hard just shuts me down in any venue.
    Just give me Frankie with a microphone and i'm there, baby!

19. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

I don't love this post because you agreed with me, I love this post because you're so academic and still end with this.

20. grn3charlie

Right on point.

21. jettsixx

jettsixx Had enough

I think this video sums up everything.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijr4rwb2WbE"]YouTube - Pop Song (Jon Lajoie)[/nomedia]

22. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

I got a big kick out of that video. Great stuff and interesting indictment of the music industry. However, to quote General Disaray, "Simpsons Did It."

"Yvan eht nioj."

23. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

What wouldn't you do to make the money Gaga is raking in?

24. 5-0

5-0 Guest

You guys still sure you want to bang Lady Gaga? her opening her mouth should probably kill all remaining feelings:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgNm9yOyQ4"]YouTube - Lady Gaga Fights 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'[/nomedia]