Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some feedback...
What do you think about knowing someone in the town you are applying to?? Does it really help?? Im talking about mid size towns like newton, needham, watertown, etc...Id love to have a job in mass on my own merits and qualifications, but apparently MA does not condone hiring the best qualified candidates (not that I am). Would you reccomend having someone put in a good word for you with the chief??

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
Works that way in my town....was outright told by just about everyone....I even knew someone that tried to help me out....but was told before my interview and BI packet was handed in that I would not be getting a job....due to laterals and other new people that knew someone....instead I got a 10 minute courtesy interview.... :(

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
90% of the time, down here in CT, you need to know someone. A good word will get you further then you can imagine. But, also down here it's mostly politics as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I tried the "on my own merit" way and failed. Everytime watching someone's "friend" get the job.

Get your ego out of the clouds and come back to the real Republic of Massachusetts.
Bottom line is, if you know someone and want the job, "use" them!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
This is not true with Civil Service though! Because they have to follow a list! I know a few who are well connected that were told no because they were not high enough on the list. If you get a card and have connection...that is different, but if you are like number 25 on a list and the town is hiring 2....it does not matter who you know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you are dedicated you can get a job on your own merit. College degree will help, but being a veteran is the best possible factor to have in your favor for the civil service process. As far as knowing someone I think that depends on the chief.

·
At your six
209 Posts
Zuke";p="58672 said:
I tried the "on my own merit" way and failed. Everytime watching someone's "friend" get the job.

Get your ego out of the clouds and come back to the real Republic of Massachusetts.
Hey Zuke, I highly doubt that every guy/gal on this site "knew someone" to get on the job. Sorry you haven't gotten on yet but with an attitude like that no wonder your on the outside looking in. I was just pointing out a fact......... not everyone out there had a buddy or relative that got them on the job. Good luck out of state.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Gil,

For it to be played with a person needs to have some quality that can be called for such as a female, EMT...etc. Straight up though if a cheif hires someone who is 25th when he called for two positions, there is going to be about 25 lawsuits coming at the town and I guarantee the hiring will not happen. If you differ, explain how it can be played with..I am curious.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Southside";p="58718 said:
Gil,

For it to be played with a person needs to have some quality that can be called for such as a female, EMT...etc. Straight up though if a cheif hires someone who is 25th when he called for two positions, there is going to be about 25 lawsuits coming at the town and I guarantee the hiring will not happen. If you differ, explain how it can be played with..I am curious.
Out of 25 people who take it up by the pipe by someone else's connection,I doubt you'd see more than 1 lawsuit. People are too scared to risk their name with a dept. and be dubbed a "problem", so on it goes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Southside";p="58718 said:
Gil,

Southside, here is an example.........

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...omplaints_follow_hiring_of_chiefs_son?pg=full

·
Registered
145 Posts
It does not matter what kind of job you are going for. it doesn't matter if you want to work at Kelly's on the beach, a shoe store in the mall, a union job, or a job in sales. knowing someone helps

·
Registered
968 Posts
Billj,

If you read the article you will see that the kid received a card and they were filling 8 spots. If they had two openings, it would be hard getting to him.

Philly,

I am not saying that knowing someone doesn't help, because it does. I am just saying that there are alot of factors that need to fall into place for it to happen.

For civil service, you need to get a card and then you are fair game for your connections to make a move, however I am saying if you do not receive a card....you WILL NOT get hired above those who have.

For example: Say my town puts on 3 and they send cards following 2n+1, the top 7 candidates will get cards including ties. Now if I am 17th on the list and my dad is Chief, he can't just hire me because I haven't been called from the list. He can very carefully eliminate candidates and call for more names and MAYBE get to me, but someone will make a fuss about it.

Reno,

I cannot agree with you. Years ago that maybe the case, but this time and place they all sue. For Christ sake we have people bitching and moaning who haven't even taken the test yet.

So in the overall picture: Knowing someone does help, BUT only to a point.

BTW: I enjoy Dunnie's body part postings more than these topics.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Southshide, no offense but, DONT BE SO NIEVE. No not everyone got thier job the "political way" but if you really think civil circus is the you think it is, have living in your little world.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Macop,

I will agree with you to make you happy. OK....now let me go back to my little nieve world where everything is hunky dory. :roll:

·
Registered
267 Posts
BlackOps";p="58716 said:
Zuke";p="58672 said:

Hey Zuke, I highly doubt that every guy/gal on this site "knew someone" to get on the job. Sorry you haven't gotten on yet but with an attitude like that no wonder your on the outside looking in. I was just pointing out a fact......... not everyone out there had a buddy or relative that got them on the job. Good luck out of state.
Who said, I was the outside??? The 2 places I have got the job, I knew someone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.