Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just applied over at Suffolk Univ. P.D....I had to send over three letters of recommendation. Now I haven't heard back in like 2 weeks. Does anyone know anything about their program such as what do they carry for protection, is training ok, and are the people good to work for/with? Benefits/Pay? Pay is always a good one...he, he. Thanks for your info. Maybe I'll try UMASS Amherst.

Later

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
From what I know about Suffolk .They are unarmed, the pay is good but you have to start off as security before you can become a police officer

·
1,952 Posts
ecpd402 said:
From what I know about Suffolk .They are unarmed, the pay is good but you have to start off as security before you can become a police officer
Actually yea, a security here got a letter after a year saying he had to work security for a year then send him to an academy. Normally we that are jaded would say "HA YEA RIGHT" but they say that they keep their word

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
They love to hire from their security staff and do send people to the SSPO academy after they have worked for about a year. They do not transport prisoners and sometimes have a long wait for a BPD unit to arrive.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Hmm...Suffolk...

A picture of one of their cruisers was in Law and Order magazine this month. In the normal place where nearly every department has "Emergency 911" imprinted on their cruiser, Suffolk actually had the full 10 digit 617 area code phone number. I wonder why that is?

Noticed you mentioned UMASS Amherst. They actually have a test to get on. From what I'm hearing now a days, they are only hiring full-time academy graduates now.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think Suffolk is pretty much like most private colleges in Boston, they have a tough relationship w/Boston PD, but they do make excellent money and most guys I know that work there find it hard to leave for that factor. You are unarmed and in Boston, that is REALLY a problem! (Not that being unarmed anywhere is okay...)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey DC, :NO:
Don't take this offensively, but I have to disagree. My dept. has a excellent working relationship w/ BPD. As a matter of fact we also work well w/ Boston Housing. As for Suffolk, 2 kids I was in the academy with didn't have anything good to say about the department. :2c:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Same here... work in a Campus dept. in Boston, great relationship with BPD. My understanding is that Suffolk and Emerson have a "rough" relationship with BPD... a few other Campus PD's :wink: do too... but BPD is actually quite easy to get along with, just don't call them for lame issues. They are busy and if you bug them for mediocre stuff they'll be ticked. :wink:

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Just to straighten out RPD931 comments. Emerson has a very good relationship with Boston Police. Also Emerson does not call Boston for Lame calls. Some of the calls we requested Boston on were stabings, Robbery and other serious crimes. Since Emerson boarders Boston Combat Zone we do not waste time with lame calls. Some of the Officer at Emerson have been involved with assisting Boston with armed suspects and other violent offender. I just want to close with this. RPD931 We Mock what we dont understand :evil: :sb:

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
ecpd402 - I was going with what I heard. I apologize, good work keep it up. Don't take it personal.

:lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.