Knee surgery | MassCops

Knee surgery

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by BlueknightLA, Mar 4, 2018.

1. BlueknightLA

BlueknightLA MassCops Member

Hello everyone. Been a while since I've posted but I've followed all your topics. I hope everyone is well. I just had ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair done to my knee. I'm bedridden for now and in a shit load of pain. Just wondering if anyone here had the same and how long to fully recover? Thanks.

2. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Sorry to hear that.

Had an ACL done many moons ago and they gave me Vicodin. Those things made me forget all about my knee:D
    I slept a lot and just surfed the net
    Forgot how long it took but was lucky . Had built up a ton of sick time. Think I took 3 months off

Good luck, rest as much as you can.

P,S be careful of the happy pills. they can jam you up pretty bad. Tough enough trying to get to the toilet on crutches but those things make the trip that much worse:eek:

Goose and BlueknightLA like this.
  3. ThinBlue56

ThinBlue56 MassCops Member

Literally had the same exact surgery at the end of August. ACL reconstruction with a piece of my hamstring and they went in and cleaned up my meniscus as well. First 1.5 weeks, take advil/ice & set up a base lol. Comfortable chair with a leg rest/couch/bed (something), put the TV remote close to you, and have someone that can wait on you for at least the first few days. Honestly, I'm about 6 months in right now and my best advice is to follow your PT religiously, it genuinely is a long, grueling process. I just started running at a good pace recently, some distance runs mixed in there as well and it really feels good to finally work out some of those kinks.

pahapoika, Goose and BlueknightLA like this.
  4. BlueknightLA

Thanks, luckily work is covering it but usually that means sub par care. I'm trying to bear the pain and so far haven't taken any Vikes. Sleeping a lot and on the internet. I'm a hyper person and it's difficult for me to just sit and do nothing!

5. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Good for you - stay away from opiates at all costs if you can; I have a friend who ended up with addiction issues after a bad injury.

6. pahapoika

Yeah, forgot about the PT. They start reeaallly slow with you .

Problem was wrecked my knee cross country skiing and was in best shape of my life so kind of ramped up the PT on my own.

Not advocating going overboard with it but try to get as much of mobility with that knee as you can. Got full range of motion back but wasn't easy.

Won't lie I loved those pills !
    Problem was couldn't to go to the bathroom. Finally had to get off them to take a dump.

I know, too much info :D

7. tazoez

tazoez Subscribing Member

I've had 3 surgeries on my left knee now.
    1 and 2 different from yours but hurt like hell. (Bone screws).
    3rd was pretty much what you had done. Recovery wasn't too bad. My only issue was getting the muscles to start working again during physical therapy. All said and done, 6 months total time.
    Now I can jog with ease and no pain in knee.

Oh, avoid the opioid pills if you can... Advil 800mg and Tylenol 600mg for pain and lots of ice.. otherwise you won't be able to take a dump and will need milk of magnesia.

pahapoika likes this.
  8. BlueknightLA

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Day 1 really sucked with all the pain. Couldn't even turn in bed without extreme pain. I'm on day 3 of recovery and feel much better. Pain is tolerable and swelling has decreased. I don't start PT for 2 more weeks. I wish I could start sooner. And I haven't taken any of the Vikes so my plumbing is still working! Just taking Naproxen 500 twice a day.

9. pahapoika

You're a tougher ombre than me :)
    Spent the first week flying high. They cut the prescription in half the second week so saved it just to get some sleep at night.

Ran for a couple years after the operation but over 50 now and just stick to spinning.

Doctor suggested glucosamine and have been taking that ever since. Jury is still out on its effectiveness, but haven't had any issues so far

10. Oakum yokum

Oakum yokum MassCops Member

I had leg surgery years ago. I wished they had informed me of the withdrawal symptoms I was about to have.
    Thought I was tripping, wasn't fun..
    Be careful on the Happy pills.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    pahapoika likes this.
  11. kdk240

kdk240 MassCops Member

While this is a few days old.
    I fully agree. Stay off the pain pills if you can. I hate the numerous effects of the opioids. I'm laid up from compartment syndrome surgery . Dr told me to try and get off them asap, but didn' give me a high does anyway. I'm just eating advil, and on the oxy as absolutely nessessary.