Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.metrokc.gov/sheriff/

Deputy Position Qualifications

The King County Sheriff's Office actively recruits qualified applicants throughout the year. Because of the size of our operation, there are usually new positions opening up every month. Click here for a thorough description of the job of deputy sheriff at the KCSO.

We strive to recruit deputy candidates who represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We welcome men and women of every culture and ethnic background, and believe that the internal environment of the KCSO supports and respects the differences that exist between us.

Hopefully you've now learned enough to be asking yourself, "Do I have what it takes?" Well, first of all, there are a few basic qualifications that you can check out very quickly. These are absolute musts:

Basic Qualifications
• You must be a United States citizen;
• You must have the ability to read, speak, and write the English language fluently;
• You must be at least 21 years of age at the time of application;
• You must have a Washington State driver's license or be able to obtain one;
• You must meet KCSO medical standards, as determined by a medical exam following an offer of employment; and
• You must be able to pass the background investigation. (We have provided a short self-screening background questionnaire that will help us determine whether you meet some basic background qualifications. This is attached to Deputy Sheriff Job Application and must be filled out as a part of the application package.)

Qualifications for Lateral Entry Candidates (Experienced Officers)
The King County Sheriff's Office has a Lateral Entry program, and encourages those currently thinking about a change to take a good look at King County. We are a large, progressive department that can offer many career opportunities to those looking for variety. If you can embrace our mission, vision, goals and core values, then we are interested in you. Our wage package allows for advanced step wage placement, using a sliding scale based on your experience, training and education.

To be considered for Lateral Entry, you must meet the following criteria, in addition to the basic qualifications:
• Experience as a full time commissioned police officer with at least 12 months of active patrol;
• Successful completion of probation as a commissioned officer with a city, county or state police or sheriff's department;
• Less than a two-year break in service from a former police officer position; and
• Academy training that meets or exceeds the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center's standards.

For more detailed information, please read the application packet (Acrobat PDF).

Questions to Ask Yourself (Recruit and Lateral Applicants)
If you meet these basics, you're off to a good start. Your answers to the following questions aren't part of the application process, but can help you decide if a law enforcement career with the KCSO could be right for you. We've organized our questions around the four core values of our agency: leadership, integrity, service and teamwork.

LEADERSHIP

• Do I tend to size up situations pretty quickly and prioritize what to do next, even in rapidly changing situations with several different things going on at once? Am I pretty good at staying calm during emergency situations and making good decisions without having to have every last detail answered for me first?
• Do I enjoy identifying problems and digging into possible causes and solutions? Am I resourceful?
• Am I willing to work in dangerous situations and use physical force to overcome resistance if necessary, up to and including use of deadly force?
• Am I able to take charge of situations without being unduly affected by the attitudes and behavior of those around me?

INTEGRITY

• Am I consistently a dependable and honest person, able to adhere to the highest standards of ethical conduct?
• Will I shun all illegal activities on and off duty?
• Am I self-disciplined in my emotions, avoiding saying and doing things that are inappropriate or disrespectful to others, even under stress?
• Am I the kind of person who takes responsibility for getting assigned work done on my own, without constant supervision?

SERVICE

• Do I seek out opportunities to help or serve others?
• Am I diplomatic, tactful and respectful of others, and prone to conveying empathy and understanding when I am dealing with others?
• Can I talk easily with others, developing rapport with strangers when I want to?

TEAMWORK

• Do I work well as a part of a team?

BASIC SKILLS
Do I have the other basic skills it takes to be a law enforcement officer:

• Am I able to speak clearly and listen to others well? Can I write a report with grammatically correct English?
• Do I read and comprehend well to learn the laws and procedures of law enforcement in the academy?
• Do I have a good memory to recall what I've learned and what I've witnessed in incidents?
• Am I pretty good at following maps and finding my way around?
• Do I have excellent physical fitness?
• Do I have basic computer skills?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.