Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerns of Police Survivors, Inc.

COPS

Press Release

Concerns of Police Survivors Opposes New Violent Video Game
Eidos' "25 to Life" Makes Game of Killing Police Officers

Camdenton, MO, July 19, 2005 - Concerns of Police Survivors (COPS), a national organization for the survivors of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty, has joined the growing list of law enforcement organizations who oppose the release of a new video game that encourages violence against police officers.

The ultra-violent videogame known as "25 to Life" will soon be released into the hands of our nation's children. In this "game" players assume the role of a gang member who is encouraged to execute drive-by shootings of police officers and to use civilians as human shields. The game's publisher, Eidos, has ignored criticisms about the game's content. The game is currently in development by Utah-based Avalanche Software. Sony and Microsoft have licensing agreements with Eidos.

The membership of Concerns of Police Survivors consists of over 14,000 families, or about 168,000 individuals, who have lost a loved one to a law enforcement line-of-duty death. COPS National President Shirley Gibson, whose police officer son was executed as he sat in his patrol car, calls the game "deplorable".

"It is unconscionable and unacceptable for Eidos to promote violence against the men and women behind the badge who devote their lives to serving and protecting our communities," stated President Gibson. "An average of 150-165 officers are killed in the line of duty each year. Whether it's radio disc jockeys talking about ways to hurt or disarm officers as just happened in St. Louis this week, or a video game whose goal is to kill an officer, to pander murder to our young people and call it entertainment is simply deplorable."

Senator Charles E. Schumer (D-New York) is calling on New York retailers not to stock the game or sell it. Schumer calls the game one of the worst in a string of violent games and is asking that Sony and Microsoft end their licensing agreements with Eidos. "Little Johnny should be learning how to read, not how to kill cops," Schumer said. "Games that are aimed and marketed at kids shouldn't desensitize them to death and destruction."

COPS is asking that those who agree that it is "deplorable" for companies to make money by celebrating the killing of police officers make their voices be heard. Contact information for Eidos, Avalanche Software, Microsoft, and Sony can be found on the COPS website at www.nationalcops.org/EidosGame.htm

For more information about Concerns of Police Survivors, Inc., or to help support COPS' programs, contact COPS at (573) 346-4911, or e-mail [email protected] Visit the COPS website at www.nationalcops.org

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The contact info for those "To whom it concerns" letters.

Eidos Interactive 651
Brannan Street 4th Floor
San Francisco, California 94107
[email protected]
(415) 547-1200

Avalanche Software
102 West 500 South, Suite 502
Salt Lake City, UT 84104

Mr. Bill Gates
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399

Mr. Kaz Jurai, President
Sony Computer Entertainment America
PO Box 5888
San Mateo, CA 94402-0888

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Taser should file an injunction on their ass for using it's images and trademarked name in the video game.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TASER Foundation Joins the Call to Boycott Cop Killer Video Game "25 to Life"

Game glorifies crime and killing law enforcement officers

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., June 28, 2005 - TASER Foundation, a non-profit foundation to honor fallen law enforcement officers and provide one time financial grants to their families announced today that it has joined U.S. Senator Charles Schumer, law enforcement agencies and family members in their call for retailers and distributors not to stock the new Eidos video entitled, "25 to Life."

This game dehumanizes law enforcement officers and minimizes the very real danger and sacrifices these men and women face everyday. Killing cops should never be seen as entertainment.

In 2004, 154 law enforcement officers in the United States and seven law enforcement officers in Canada were killed in the line of duty. "The TASER Foundation provides support to the families of these officers, we also help promote a positive image of law enforcement, by sharing the stories of these brave men and women," said Foundation Executive Director Geraldine Anderson. "To date, we have provided over $560,000 in financial support to the families of fallen officers.

"Games such as 25 to Life just add to the grief and pain these families cope with on a daily basis. Eidos is exploiting these tragedies for profit and promoting disrespect for the law enforcement community," concluded Anderson.

About the TASER Foundation

The TASER Foundation distributes financial memorial grants to the families of fallen officers in the United States and Canada through donations and an initial endowment of $1,000,000. Over half of the initial endowment came in direct contribution from TASER International employees with the balance contributed by the company. One time grants are available only upon request by chiefs of police and sheriffs as well as federal law enforcement executives in the name of sworn officers killed in the line of duty since August 1, 2004. The TASER Foundation's mission is to honor the service and sacrifice of local and federal law enforcement officers in the United States and Canada lost in the line of duty by providing financial support to their families. TASER International bears all of the administrative costs of the TASER Foundation in order to ensure 100 percent of all donations are distributed to the families of fallen officers. For further information contact Gerry Anderson, Executive Director of the TASER Foundation at [email protected] or call 800-978-2737. Visit the TASER Foundation website at www.TASERFoundation.org for facts and video.

About TASER International, Inc.

TASER International, Inc. provides advanced non-lethal devices for use in the law enforcement, military, private security and personal defense markets. TASER devices use proprietary technology to safely incapacitate dangerous, combative or high-risk subjects who pose a risk to law enforcement officers, innocent citizens or themselves. TASER technology saves lives every day, and the use of TASER devices dramatically reduces injury rates for police officers and suspects and reduces litigation costs. For more information on TASER life-saving technology, please call TASER International at (480) 444-4000 or visit our website at www.TASER.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think a much better idea would be to take the inventors of this game out to a nice remote location and let us create are own real live version of this game using them. Or better yet lets take some of thier family members out for a little play. Some how I get the feeling they might think otherwise and then turn around and look for a cop to help. But when your dealing with companies that only care about the $$$ amount of profits and not human feeling what do you exspect.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
That's a good idea but my thought was hit them where it really counts to asshats like that, in the wallet.

Since they use the Taser name and image, prolly without license, every game would have to be altered or a fee/fine paid. If it were me I would say alter every game...which would cost more than a fee paid.

The use the word Taser in their website, in the lit from the game.

G

·
They should make a game where gangbangers kill elected officials. Then we would miraculously see a video game standards act passed.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Wait a minute before we get our panties in a bunch. This article purposely reported half of the story.

The author made it seem like you can only assume the role of gang members going around shooting police officers.

In actuality players can either assume the role of Policer officers or gangsters. This game is no different than the Medal of Honor series where you can play as either Germans, Americans, or Japanese troops, or Counter-Strike where you can assume the role of special forces or terrorists.

25 years to life exploits the sacrifices of police officers? Gimme a break. I wonder if the author feels the same about war sims. I spent 9 months fighting Taliban and Al Qaeda forces in Afghanistan. In no way do I feel the game Counter-Strike exploited the sacrifices I've made. I look forward to playing this game.

·
Banned
340 Posts
USMCMP5811";p="69687 said:
ProudAmerican";p="69629 said:
Wait a minute before we get our panties in a bunch. This article purposely reported half of the story.

The author made it seem like you can only assume the role of gang members going around shooting police officers.

In actuality players can either assume the role of Policer officers or gangsters. This game is no different than the Medal of Honor series where you can play as either Germans, Americans, or Japanese troops, or Counter-Strike where you can assume the role of special forces or terrorists.

25 years to life exploits the sacrifices of police officers? Gimme a break. I wonder if the author feels the same about war sims. I spent 9 months fighting Taliban and Al Qaeda forces in Afghanistan. In no way do I feel the game Counter-Strike exploited the sacrifices I've made. I look forward to playing this game.
Hmmmmmm, Last I checked, Medal of Honor you could only assume the role of an American, I may be wrong here but this is what I know. And as far as I know, 25 to Life hasn't been released yet and if it has, Proud American do you own a copy? If not how did you get your info? If you do not own the game, and I do not know for sure if you do , but it sounds llike you don't, why don't you STFU because from what I know, any one who supports this game has no business in law enforcement.

Comparing 25 to life and Counter-Strike is comparing apples to oranges. Take your 9 months in Afghanistn and turn it into something possitive rather than bitchen about how Civil Service sucks or this and that sucks.
I hate to say this to a fellow Devil Dog, but fuck off! Don't fucking patronize me asshole. What needs to happen is for you to get off your fucking high horse, grab a coke and smile, and shut the fuck up.

Here's a link, http://xbox.ign.com/objects/683/683107.html learn more about the game before making your uneducated assumptions. Why is the comparison to Counter-Strike, like comparing apples and oranges?

I own the Medal of Honor series, and Call of duty. When playing online you can assume the role of Russians, Germans, Americans, and Japanese troops. If you guys wanna bitch about this game, fine, I really don't care. What concerns me is the article purposely left out the fact you get the choice of being a police officer, or gangster.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
This is true, it is only a video game. But, you know that atleast one meathead is going to get fired up and kill a cop and blame his behavior on this video game. I have played some of the previously mentioned games. Although, most of us can differentiate between video games and reality too.

·
Subscribing Member
3,265 Posts
Its just a video game, so people should just relax, who cares if its gangsters killing cops!! Now one would imagine this attitude wouldn't change if a new video game came out where you could play a member of the KKK and lynch black people, it would only be a video game!!!

·
Banned
340 Posts
USMCMP5811";p="69750 said:
ProudAmerican";p="69712 said:
USMCMP5811";p="69687 said:
ProudAmerican";p="69629 said:

Hmmmmmm, Last I checked, Medal of Honor you could only assume the role of an American, I may be wrong here but this is what I know. And as far as I know, 25 to Life hasn't been released yet and if it has, Proud American do you own a copy? If not how did you get your info? If you do not own the game, and I do not know for sure if you do , but it sounds llike you don't, why don't you STFU because from what I know, any one who supports this game has no business in law enforcement.

Comparing 25 to life and Counter-Strike is comparing apples to oranges. Take your 9 months in Afghanistn and turn it into something possitive rather than bitchen about how Civil Service sucks or this and that sucks.
I hate to say this to a fellow Devil Dog, but fuck off! Don't fucking patronize me asshole. What needs to happen is for you to get off your fucking high horse, grab a coke and smile, and shut the fuck up.

Here's a link, http://xbox.ign.com/objects/683/683107.html learn more about the game before making your uneducated assumptions. Why is the comparison to Counter-Strike, like comparing apples and oranges?

I own the Medal of Honor series, and Call of duty. When playing online you can assume the role of Russians, Germans, Americans, and Japanese troops. If you guys wanna bitch about this game, fine, I really don't care. What concerns me is the article purposely left out the fact you get the choice of being a police officer, or gangster.
ProudAmerican,

I have no problems with swallowing an extra large helping of humble pie and washing it down with a Coke and a Smile, and on occasion, chasing it with a tall frothy mug of STFU. As far as my high horse, he got tuned into dog food and glue many a moon ago. As far as patronizing you, Far from Devil, and never the intent, implied or otherwise.

If you read my post, I explicitly stated that the info I had was what I knew at the time and that I may be wrong, leaving room for error and for proper correction as needed. I also asked you where you got your info so as I might be able to get on the same page. I did read the link you posted and the way I interpret it, is that although you are able to assume the role of a police officer in the game, the creators of the game place more emphasis on the street thug and glorify killing cops.

If you care to entertain any more Discussion of this matter or high horses, feel free to PM me Devil and I'm sure we can reach some sort of agreement.
No Devil Dog. I'm good to go, I can understand why many people would be upset at this game. My only beef was the inaccurate reporting and description in the article. Anyway, Oorah Hard Charger, ain't no love lost. Semper-FI

·
Banned
340 Posts
PBC FL Cop";p="69756 said:
Its just a video game, so people should just relax, who cares if its gangsters killing cops!! Now one would imagine this attitude wouldn't change if a new video game came out where you could play a member of the KKK and lynch black people, it would only be a video game!!!
Sigh...There's always one in every group that will make a ridiculous and extreme comparison. Talk about apples and oranges, this little crazy brought out the whole produce section.

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
I'm sorry. I really can't buy "The Video Game made me Do it" excuse. That's like Micheal Mcdermott when he said on the stand that he thought the coworkers he killed were nazis and the archangel gabriel told him to do so. Now if the makers of the game deliberatly wanted to send the message to kill cops, innocents, etc, then the lawsuit can go somewhere. But if they are just a bunch of computer nerds who decided to screw around with a game engine and create some nutty video game where you play as a derainged scumbag "without the intent of sending a specific message", there's no real liability. The s**thead is simply looking for excuses to take the blame off himself. suing gamemakers is like those people who want to get at the gun industry for problems caused by those who cant use their products lawfully. If anyone should be taken to a remote location and be used for target practice then use D. Moore.

·
Subscribing Member
3,265 Posts
ProudAmerican";p="69769 said:
Sigh...There's always one in every group that will make a ridiculous and extreme comparison. Talk about apples and oranges.
This is not a ridiculous comparison, it's merely comparing one criminal organization, which commits heinous crimes against a specific group, to another. The difference is one focuses on an ethnic group, while the other focuses on a profession. While the actions of one group may affect certain members of a community greater than another, their acts are no less heinous. These are not apples and oranges, they're only video games.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.