Keep right unless overtaking or turning: Why is this not enforced against middle lane morons? | MassCops

Keep right unless overtaking or turning: Why is this not enforced against middle lane morons?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Laws' started by ayasakihayate, Aug 22, 2019.

1. ayasakihayate

ayasakihayate New Member

Title says it all. Massachusetts' General Law, Title XIV, Chapter 89, Section 4B reads as follows:
    (Emphasis added)
    Most folks in Massachusetts seem to know enough to move out of the far left lane, but slow drivers abound in the center lanes of multi-lane roads here. In fact, due to the sheer volume of people going way below the speed limit in the center lane, I'd even say they cause more traffic problems than left lane hogs do. In fact, a lot of the "slower" drivers people complain about in the left lane are only there because of some slowpoke in the middle lane who is, by law, supposed to be all the way to the right, but is not. Why are they allowed to get away with this behavior?

2. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

Because the law is for left lane lollygaggers, not middle?

Frustrating - I KNOW - but there isn't enough staff to patrol breakdown lane entitleds, let alone left lane abusers.

pahapoika likes this.
  3. ayasakihayate

ayasakihayate New Member

Is there another section of the law that states this? Because the statute I quoted above seems to be written in such a way that it should apply equally to anyone who is in any lane other than the one furthest to the right.

4. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Once they did away with "no passing on the right" it's been a bloody free for all !

Maybe people feel safer hugging the middle lane ?

5. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

"No passing on the right" didn't apply to the highway... or so I've always been told...

6. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Where is this passing you speak of happening? I swear every time I get on the highway no matter what time of day or night it's always "rush hour" traffic. This of course leads me to one conclusion, the solution to all our traffic problems is to require everyone who said they'd move to Canada if Trump won to actually follow through.

pahapoika and Sooty like this.
  7. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

None of those are enforced!

8. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

My favorite is Route 3 South heading to the Cape.

Traffic wasn't bad coming from the Braintree split down to about Marshfield then it started getting backed up.

In the meantime we're all going along at a merry old pace and here come the idiots. Bombing down the breakdown lane at 90mph !

Sure it's posted travel permissible during rush hour. Doesn't say anything about doing 90mph :rolleyes:

Always amazed there isn't more fatalities on that road.

Sooty, HistoryHound and Goose like this.
  9. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

God's Will. Simple enough.

pahapoika likes this.