1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K-9s at the head of the class

Tue Jul 15, 2008, 01:47 PM EDT

Ipswich -
Local children enrolled in the Ipswich Recreation Department summer programs were treated to a K-9 demonstration Tuesday morning at Bialek Park.
Officers from the Essex County K-9 Unit described the roll the dogs play in law enforcement and rescue operations. Recreation Director Betty Dorman said the officers demonstrated training techniques, the commands they use to communicate with the dogs and how the animals search for drugs and weapons, apprehend suspects and look for people who are either hiding or lost.
Each dog is trained by one officer, who keeps the dog at his home during his working career and often adopts the animal after its retirement from active service.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Foxy....do you really want to run the maypole with everyone again about this???

Why is it they choose schools and elderly groups exclusively?? Young and old. Why don't they demonstrate how great their dogs are at our next union meeting?? I'm sure the overworked and underequipped K-9 guys on my job would be a captive audience for their show. They wouldn't because we'd call bullshit...just like if they went to any other cop union....or group who knows better... they SELECT old people because they can vote...they respect people in uniforms and can be taken advantage of to perpetuate their frauds on citizens...votes aren't adjusted for age ..just numbers...Or children because they're in awe of the uniforms, guns and dogs and feel like real cops telling kids who know nothing stories about all the people they imagined they locked up via an episode of cops....
In my opinion THEY ARE NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OF THE TWO BIT CON ARTISTS THAT THEY SHOULD BE WATCHING IN A JAIL CELL!!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I said nothing of police/sheriff dispute in doing one anothers job. I'm simply saying, that police depts. as well will cater to children about policework and the use of k-9's.

Honestly though....If its going to influence a child to get interested in law enforcement, then more power to them. I look at it like this. The kids are learning something about law enforcement and having fun. Whether or not the Sheriff's should have the K-9's is another story...

Beats having them sitting on their ass rampaging the streets of San Andreas on GTA.....

·
Subscribing Member
927 Posts
If the Sheriff Department wants to teach kids about corrections, go right ahead. I doubt it will be very popular or appropriate; but it would make sense.

"More power to them". Are you kidding? What a pathetic, lay-down attitude. It's that attitude that gives the Sheriff Department the idea that they are "helping" and they are welcome to continue.

Get back to the jails, stay in the jails and leave "law enforcement" to those who are properly trained and have a clue about it.

You work for the trial court. Maybe we should have deputies teach kids about the trial court and start running around like big shots at the courthouses. Then you'll know how I feel everytime I see these hacks insulting my profession.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Eh, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

Alot of these deputies have the same training (R/I academy) as the PTers working for Municipalities.

And whose to say that these K-9 guys didn't talk about corrections

Clearly you've got a beef with some Sheriff. I just think the whole sheriff/police thing beat to death here. Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly agree with you that we don't need LE divisions of sheriffs. I just don't think anyone is about to lose their police position to a deputy...

I'm no more at risk losing my job at the court to deputies than the police officers are in this state.

I could care less what the Sheriff's do, because in the end I don't think it has any real affect on what goes on in our day to
day lives....

Let the sheriff bashing commence...Chances are all of your arguemtns will be right, but does it effect your family life or your paycheck?

·
Subscribing Member
927 Posts
When a Sheriff K9 goes somewhere, a POLICE K9 doesn't.
When a deputy is put on a "special" team, a POLICE OFFICER isn't.
When a grant is stolen, a POLICE AGENCY doesn't get it. (As pointed out in another thread, it may be a Sheriff Department from another state but it's still a loss of needed resources for them).

Take a look at the staffing levels of all police agencies in the Commonwealth, look at the layoffs, think about how difficult it is to become a police officer in the first place and then tell me some hacks trying to infringe on law enforcement doesn't have "any real affect on what goes on in our day to day lives".

As far as being insulted, when it takes you years of keeping your nose clean, going through testing, the stress of the whole hiring process, the academy, probationary period/FTO, and then doing the right thing on the job and you watch people trying to circumvent it -- you'd be insulted too.

Thanks for the support.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Aww don't be that way MM.... I understand where you're coming from, and believe me I know how hard it is to get on in this state, as I'm not even on the job yet. And believe me I've seen some real winners working at the jail coming into court to collect prisoners. BUt as I said, in the end, everyone knows what they're about, and I whole heartedly agree with you about everything.

Essentially the system here will never change though. YOu will always have sheriffs getting grants that they shouldn't and PD's running on POS cruisers while Sheriffs have brandy new cruisers to serve papers in and patrol the county jail properties, or whatever they do in the things. Nature of the beast in this state.

Just remember, that you've earned your title, and take pride in what you do. THe hacks wish they had your title and try to do what you do, but can't.

My point is just that a couple of guys teaching kids about K-9's has SOME benefit to it. Would it be better if they were police officers? Absolutely....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just so you all know, all of the K-9 that work in Essex County do work inside the facility. They do not patrol the streets and they are not trying to take your pressious jobs.

G

·
Why do they, they being SO's, target kids and elderly to sell their agendas to play cops??
Because senior citizens tend to respect anyone in uniform, and kids don't know the difference....they see badges & guns and think "police", if their attention can even be drawn away from the cute doggy.

Right, cause no POLICE dept. has ever had a program geared toward children......
We actually deal with children every single day, in both good & bad situations.

Do you see many children hanging around a house of correction?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Alot of these deputies have the same training (R/I academy) as the PTers working for Municipalities.

ALOT does not equal all....and I would have to say that the P/T guys and gals out there are becoming less frequent out there because of liability that goes along with police work and the chea. And those part time police have the benefit of full time police officers who were academy trained and do the work daily. AND those PT guys have the benefit generally of inservice training that Sheriffs don't require of their people because there are no standards. So once they finish the class that's it. And let me tell you that I took that R/I class when I was 18 and it teaches you enough to be dangerous. Without the help of other people I would have been a nightmare to the people I was "serving". And I was #1 in my class.

I'm no more at risk losing my job at the court to deputies than the police officers are in this state.
I could care less what the Sheriff's do, because in the end I don't think it has any real affect on what goes on in our day to
day lives....
Let the sheriff bashing commence...Chances are all of your arguemtns will be right, but does it effect your family life or your paycheck?

This was the same old arguement that kept coming up in all the other threads regarding sheriffs and police work. I am glad to see that the "OH WELL IT DOESN'T AFFECT ME SO WHO CARES" attitude is so prevalent amongst people out there.
YES it will affect my paycheck when their backdoor politics infiltrate them into police work.
YES no regular paycheck or reduced paychecks/layoffs/hiring freezes because they offer cheaper services so politicians can cheap out WILL affect my home life.
YES that does have an affect on my daily life because of all that.

So your attitude is so yeah you may be right..but who cares??? Thanks for the support. I can't wait until your union seeks out help from other unions when you bargain a new contract or you're going to lose jobs. I'll make sure I tell my reps how caring you are about us losing jobs. Oh and don't think that they're not looking at your jobs. Sheriffs do security in courthouses around the country..and if I am not mistaken they did details for security at the new courthouse in Worcester when it was being built...NOT Worcester PD...NOT State Police...and if memory serves me....NOT TRIAL COURT OFFICERS. It is closer to YOUR home than you may think.

Just so you all know, all of the K-9 that work in Essex County do work inside the facility. They do not patrol the streets and they are not trying to take your pressious jobs.

Is the ESSEX House of Correction in Lynn??...Because on more than one occasion I have seen the Black and white K-9 SUV'S in several different locations in the City of Lynn where my official duties brought me...and I didn't see a single jail anywhere. So much for inside the jail. If they were...shouldn't it be harder for me to see them from the outside???

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, the Essex County Correctional Facility is not in Lynn. Its not in ESSEX either. Did you ever consider that they may live in the area or were assisting the Lynn police.

G

·
No, the Essex County Correctional Facility is not in Lynn. Its not in ESSEX either. Did you ever consider that they may live in the area or were assisting the Lynn police.
I'm pretty confident that if the Lynn PD needed assistance, lawdog671 would have both known it and offered help himself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nite Owl. I am a K9 Officer and have been for over 10 years. The sheriff's specifically the Essex K9's do patrol outside of the Middleton Jail. They are currently assign a K9 team to the Lynn PD at night for patrol and also have a K9 Sgt working with the drug task force and yes they take calls away from the local and state K9's all the time. What K9 team is protecting the jail when the they go out to play? Leave the police work to fully trained/certified police officers and troopers not corrections officers. I am not putting down anyone in corrections, their job is equally important but stay in the jails where you are qualified to work. Police officers will stay on the street where they are qualified not trying to get in the jails to take over those positions.

·
Registered
779 Posts

*NOT in Essex?...interesting....
*live in the area? both of them live in a 7 eleven??...its nice that they have take home cruisers and hang out on personal time in full pack in a commercial district? its nice of them to work for free...goes back to undercutting WORKING COPS...
*Oh and I thought briefly about the work part....I thought...WOW 2 F'ING S.O. K-9 CRUISERS THAT SHOULD BE POLICE K-9s THAT SHOULD BE AT THE JAIL WHEREVER IT IS!!!!!
Curious how it is you came about all this information...you one of the guys I see??

Nite Owl. I am a K9 Officer and have been for over 10 years. The sheriff's specifically the Essex K9's do patrol outside of the Middleton Jail. They are currently assign a K9 team to the Lynn PD at night for patrol and also have a K9 Sgt working with the drug task force and yes they take calls away from the local and state K9's all the time. What K9 team is protecting the jail when the they go out to play? Leave the police work to fully trained/certified police officers and troopers not corrections officers.

OUCH!!.....Sucks to be right.....go loiter while waiting to poach calls at the jail and you'll never hear a bad thing from anyone here...open mouth insert foot huh??

·
Registered
34 Posts
K917,
I stand corrected. I did make a call to a friend and their is one K-9 Sgt. assigned to the Lynn Task Force. I apologize. This is new to me.

Lawdog671,
I come by the info because I have worked for the dept. for over 10 years. Inside the facility. Just looking out the the rest of the CO's (Deputy Sheriffs) that you all love to bash so much.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Speaking of the Essex County K9s, one showed up uninvited to a K9 call up here in NEW HAMPSHIRE. He was about to deploy his dog when our State Police K9 who was actually REQUESTED arrived and told him to get back to the jail...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts