Judge upholds Arizona "show-your-papers" measure in mixed ruling | MassCops

Judge upholds Arizona "show-your-papers" measure in mixed ruling

Discussion in 'Illegal Immigration Issues' started by kwflatbed, Sep 6, 2012.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Judge upholds Arizona "show-your-papers" measure in mixed ruling

By Tim Gaynor and David Schwartz | Reuters – 5 hrs ago

[​IMG]Enlarge Photo
    Reuters/REUTERS - People hold signs as they gather during a protest against Senate Bill 1070 (SB-1070), in front of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement offices in Phoenix, Arizona, June 25, 2012. The U.S. …more Supreme Court on Monday upheld the main provision of Arizona's crackdown on illegal immigrants but threw out three other parts, handing partial victories to President Barack Obama in his challenge to the law and to the measure's conservative supporters. The court unanimously upheld the statute's most controversial aspect, a requirement that police officers check the immigration status of people they stop, even for minor offenses such as jay-walking. REUTERS/Darryl Webb (UNITED STATES - Tags: POLITICS SOCIETY IMMIGRATION CIVIL UNREST) less
    Related Content
    PHOENIX (Reuters) - A U.S. judge ruled on Wednesday that a controversial Arizona "show-your-papers" immigration provision that has been upheld by the Supreme Court may go into effect, but in a split ruling blocked another measure making it a crime to harbor illegal immigrants.
    The measure that was upheld, part of a broader law to combat illegal immigration in the state bordering Mexico, home to an estimated 360,000 undocumented immigrants, requires police to check the immigration status of people they stop and suspect are in the country illegally.
    In allowing that measure to proceed, District Court Judge Susan Bolton ruled the law's challengers had failed to show they were likely to prevail on the merits of the case, but noted that the top court had left open the possibility of contesting the provision "after it goes into effect."

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-upholds-arizona-show-papers-measure-mixed-ruling-000045097.html

2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Judge rules that Arizona police can check immigration status

Published September 19, 2012
    Associated Press
    • [​IMG]
      July 29, 2010: In this file photo, Maricopa County Sheriff's deputies, left, check the shoes of a suspect arrested during a crime suppression sweep in Phoenix. (AP/File)
    PHOENIX – A judge in Arizona ruled Tuesday that police can immediately start enforcing the most contentious section of the state's immigration law, marking the first time officers can carry out the so-called "show me your papers" provision.
    The decision by U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton is the latest milestone in a two-year legal battle over the requirement. It culminated in a U.S. Supreme Court decision in June that upheld the provision on the grounds that it doesn't conflict with federal law.
    Now, with the requirement finally in full effect, both sides are anxious to see the outcome.
    The supporters want local police to use it vigorously, but worry federal immigration officials won't respond to calls to come arrest people.
    "I am mulling what I will do if they don't respond," said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who more than any other police boss in the state pushed the bounds of immigration enforcement. "I don't feel comfortable letting the illegal alien back on the street."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/18/judge-police-to-enforce-ariz-immigration-law-now/?test=latestnews#ixzz26vcNUKyj

corsair likes this.
  3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

GOOD!!!!

It doesn't take a Ph.D. in Genealogy to suspect that someone is an illegal alien, and every time I've visited another country while not in the military, I carried my passport and would have been more than happy to show it to law enforcement when requested.

4. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Annnnnd then we have California.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ges-gov-brown-to-veto-illegal-immigrant-bill/

A California father whose son was murdered execution-style in 2008 by an illegal immigrant gangster has launched a campaign to persuade Gov. Jerry Brown to veto a bill that would have police release illegal immigrants into the streets even when the feds want them detained.
    The controversial bill, which passed the legislature in August, would compel local law enforcement in most cases to ignore requests by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to hold illegal immigrants if they could otherwise be released.
    Advocates say it's a way for police to build "trust" with local communities -- the name of the bill is the TRUST Act. But opponents warn the policy could have dangerous consequences.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/19/father-murdered-teen-urges-gov-brown-to-veto-illegal-immigrant-bill/#ixzz26wC7qIJn

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Fat chance that Comrade Brown is going to veto that.

The way I read ICE detainers, there is no option as to holding the illegal alien. Hopefully when Romney takes office, his US Attorneys will indict a few police chiefs who release illegals being held on ICE detainers, and I positively guarantee that practice will come to a screeching halt.

corsair and 7costanza like this.
  6. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Federal law trumps state law, and I wouldn't follow an illegal order anyway.

Hush likes this.