Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if MA has similar acceptions like this? I have not seen anything like this and would assume the Native American population is pretty low in MA DOC.

Judge OKs Indian inmates, religion plan

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) -- Nebraska's American Indian inmates can have powwows, meet with medicine men and use a tobacco substitute during religious ceremonies under a federal court settlement approved Monday.

The settlement, reached between the inmates and prison state officials last year, was approved by U.S. District Judge Warren Urbom.

The settlement grew from a complaint filed on behalf of some 200 American Indian inmates by Richard T. Walker, an Indian sentenced to life in prison in 1966 for murder.

Walker complained among other things that a medicine man stopped coming to the prison because officials made so many demands that he prove his qualifications.

Advertisement

Under the agreement, American Indian inmates can have two powwows a year and use traditional foods such as fry bread, corn and "berry dish" in their ceremonies.

The inmates agreed not to use tobacco - which is banned in prison - but will use chinshasha, which is made from the bark of red willow trees, as a substitute.

The settlement will replace a 1974 consent decree requiring prison officials to allow American Indian inmates to conduct religious ceremonies. A group of inmates accused the state of violating the decree.

---

On the Net:

Nebraska Department of Correctional Services: http://www.corrections.state.ne.us/

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy

·
Registered
32 Posts
already doing this at the SBCC once a month. All of the sexual offenders turned native american. The tent I presume is huffin and puffin and that is not only the peace pipe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think Howie Carr did a story on that a couple of years ago. I think they have a Native-American religious person monitor this religious ritual or we should hope that is the case. I know they have this sweat lodge and they strip down to their underwear(not allowed to be nude) and pray and smoke.

·
Registered
159 Posts
KozmoKramer";p="59734 said:
JGH - isn't smoking prohibited in the Mass Prisons?
Koz,
I believe they substitute it with a tree bark type substance in the form of tobacco. It must fall under 103 CMR 471 that it can be used for religious purposes.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
JGH_7223";p="59736 said:
...Koz, - I believe they substitute it with a tree bark type substance in the form of tobacco.
It must fall under 103 CMR 471 that it can be used for religious purposes.
Good grief JGH. That must smell great in the cell block.
Actually, considering all of the other malodorous bouquets in the air, it might not be too bad, no?
:twisted:

·
Registered
159 Posts
KozmoKramer";p="60020 said:
JGH_7223";p="59736 said:
...Koz, - I believe they substitute it with a tree bark type substance in the form of tobacco.
It must fall under 103 CMR 471 that it can be used for religious purposes.
Good grief JGH. That must smell great in the cell block.
Actually, considering all of the other malodorous bouquets in the air, it might not be too bad, no?
:twisted:
LOL good one Koz. Good luck tomorrow I mean today. Still on St. Patrick mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.