Jol speeding and passenger violation | MassCops

Jol speeding and passenger violation

Discussion in 'Tickets & Citations' started by Jauk1527, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Jauk1527

Jauk1527 New Member

Hello,
    I am 16 and I was pulled over on 88 on a 65 with my cousin in the car, he is 17. I was driving in the passing lane and saw a car coming up very fast so I looked to see if it was safe to move over but there was a car to the right of mine. The car behind me continue doing to speed and got very close to the back of my car, but I was unable to move over to let them pass. As I spend up, the car behind and next to me did as well. As I came around a small bend, the trooper rolled out and pulled me over. The ticket was $295. The passenger I had in my car was my first cousin. I have grown up with him my whole life, sharing everything and doing everything together (we were coming home from practice when I was pulled over). When I was told in driving school that immediate family is allowed, I didn't question him being apart of it. I'm asking for advice about what to do. I know I'm at fault for the speeding and I feel horrible about it, but I think since I was in control and wasn't speeding on purpose that the suspension might be reduced.

2. Oakum yokum

Oakum yokum MassCops Member

You didn't follow the rules.
    Take your punishment....
    No excuses

3. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

go tell it to the magistrate!

4. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Does that include going to jail together? Just pay your fine and be done.

CCCSD and HistoryHound like this.
  5. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

It's a little late now, but for future reference here's a Pro Mom Tip for you.

-Stay out of the passing lane. You don't say what highway you were on, but common sense indicates that if you were in the passing lane you were already going above 65. If you weren't; then, you weren't passing and shouldn't have been in the passing lane. Before you think about arguing that point look back at where you describe the vehicle next to you keeping up with you.
    -Should you find yourself in the situation you noted above , don't speed up to ludicrous speed to try and pass the idiot that clearly doesn't want to let you safely change lanes in front of them. Slow down enough to let them pass and then change lanes. The person behind you probably isn't going to want to hit you any more than you want to be hit so he'll slow down if you do. Although, I highly recommend following Pro Mom Tip #1 at all times.

What scares me is that you think that you weren't speeding on purpose. You were. It was your foot on the accelerator and you were in control of how fast your car was going. Just because you say you felt pressured to go faster doesn't mean it wasn't your fault. The other thing that's conecerning is your "I think since I was in control" comment. There are a lot of parents who have burried children who were in cars where the driver was in control until he wasn't. You're young and inexperienced. Don't put yourself in situations wher Jesus may have to take the wheel.

You're being kind. My first thought was that they'll be buried together.

PGH3477, CCCSD, Tuna and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

You can appeal and try and argue that your cousin is "immediate family", the law doesn't state what immediately family means. As for the speeding, you're screwed. With a JOL you should be driving in the slow lane at 64mph.