Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. --
A Broward Sheriff's Office deputy who was killed in the line of duty last year was honored on Thursday.
Deputy Paul Rein was fatally shot in November 2007, allegedly by a prisoner whom he was transporting to a courthouse.
Almost one year later, BSO unveiled a new sign above Broward County's north jail, renaming it in Rein's honor. Rein's widow held back tears as their son, Richard Rein, told the crowd that his dad would be proud.
"This is not the way that he would've planned to go, but I do know that he would've been proud to be considered a hero," Rein said. "I consider him a hero."
Rein spent most of his life in public service. Instead of retiring after he spent 34 years with the postal service, Rein joined BSO as a transport deputy and spent nearly the last 20 years of his life in that position.
"This is what he enjoyed doing," said Broward County Sheriff Al Lamberti. "So to him, he was enjoying life, and even though he knew the dangers in it, you couldn't deter him."
The 250,000-square-foot north jail is Broward County's newest jail facility. It houses more than 1,000 medium- and maximum-security inmates, and nearly 200 deputies work there.
Many deputies remembered Rein's strong handshake and sharply pressed uniform, his compassion and his dedication. Naming the facility after Rein is a lasting reminder and tribute to his sacrifice.
"I remember Paul's smile, his laugh, his service, his compassion and his dedication," said BSO Sgt. Mitchell Stahl. "He will not be forgotten."
Family members said they were honored to accept the dedication and look forward to bringing Rein's grandchildren and great-grandchildren to see the tribute.
Michael Mazza is accused of first-degree murder in Rein's death. He is awaiting his trial.

Story From: local10.com

1 - 1 of 1 Posts