1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teacher charged with giving passing grades if students burn car

06/29/2005

Associated Press

Two high school students were failing chemistry when investigators say their teacher gave them a combustion assignment outside the lab - torch the teacher's car for a passing grade.

A Aldine Senior High School teacher has been charged with giving the students a passing grade in return for dumping and burning her car.

Tramesha Lashon Fox, 32, of Kingwood, is charged with insurance fraud and arson, authorities said. Officers obtained warrants for Fox Tuesday and were searching for her.

The two students, Roger Luna, 18, and Darwin Arias, 17, were also charged with arson. Luna was arrested Tuesday night, and Arias was arranging to surrender.

In an interview with Harris County fire marshal's investigators last week, Fox said she gave the students passing grades for destroying her 2003 Chevrolet Malibu. She told investigators she wanted to collect the insurance proceeds.

Fox first approached the students on campus in May about the plan, said senior fire investigator Dustin Deutsch of the Harris County Fire Marshal's Office. They students thought she was joking, but she continued to purse them.

Investigators said the plan involved Fox leaving her car unlocked with the keys inside at a mall. On the last day of school, May 27, the students drove the car to a wooded area, doused it with charcoal lighter fluid and let it burn, Deutsch said.

Fox reported the theft that day.

At the time Fox was at least three months behind on her car payments and facing repossession, Deutsch said.

The car was found 12 days later in a wooded area near Arias' home.

Meanwhile Fox had bought a 2005 Toyota Corolla before she reported the other car was stolen, investigators said. She owed about $20,000 on the Chevrolet, Deutsch said.

Luna and Arias had been failing Fox's class until their final exam. Arias received a 90; Luna an 80, Deutsch said. The grades were high enough to pass the semester.

After investigators called her in for questioning last week, Fox admitted to the plan.

Aldine Independent School District officials said Tuesday they were waiting to see the fire marshal's report.

"Our folks will then do a thorough investigation and then make a decision as far as employment status," said Leticia Fehling, Aldine ISD spokeswoman.

___

Information from: Houston Chronicle, http://www.houstonchronicle.com

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
How the hell did a Malibu cost $20,000???

My chem. teacher in high school said if we left him beer or "magic" brownies in his car we would get a passing grade...I didn't have to resort to that though, I'm good at science and math, so I had no problem :)

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,713 Posts
kttref";p="67851 said:
How the hell did a Malibu cost $20,000???

My chem. teacher in high school said if we left him beer or "magic" brownies in his car we would get a passing grade...I didn't have to resort to that though, I'm good at science and math, so I had no problem :)
Probably a J.D. Byrider deal!!!! We'll sell you a reconditioned wreck with a high % loan and you pay 2.5 times what the car is worth by the end of the loan!
:lol:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm sorry but wow....that's classic. If my teacher came up to me and asked me to do that in high school, I'd expect more than just a passing grade. An A plus some of the insurance money for sure. Damn idiots, THINK IT THROUGH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.