Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Is MSP still running SSPO academies?

8K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  mpd61 
#1 ·
I am researching some of the consequences of Governor Baker's bill on police certification. Can anyone tell me if MSP is still running SSPO academies for campus police, or do university/college police now opt exclusively for the reserve academies for certification? If SSPO academies are still operating, when was the last one?
My thanks to anyone who can provide info.

#2 ·
I think part of the reason for the decline in SSPO academy attendance is the proliferation of self sponsorship that this state saw in recent years. There was an abundance of full time MPOC trained officers, with not enough jobs for them. Supposedly now the hiring market is becoming more of a candidate’s market, only time will tell but it certainly wasn’t just a few years ago.
Colleges and universities had no reason to pay for someone to go to SSPO when they could in all likelihood hire a recent self sponsor to an MPOC. Self sponsoring recruits wouldn’t go to the SSPO academy, they’d go to a full time MPTC academy, which would alllow them to work for a town or a campus. So there was just less need/demand for SSPO classes.

#3 ·
I wouldn’t say that more campuses are relying on reserve academies though. Certainly some still do, but a lot of campuses want at least the SSPO academy, if not a full time MPTC academy. None of the bigger schools accept a reserve academy, and Northeastern actually runs their own full time MPTC academy with Cambridge

#4 ·
I wouldn't say that more campuses are relying on reserve academies though. Certainly some still do, but a lot of campuses want at least the SSPO academy, if not a full time MPTC academy. None of the bigger schools accept a reserve academy, and Northeastern actually runs their own full time MPTC academy with Cambridge
not sure if i'd call it an academy lol

#6 ·
I wonder if MPTC will take the SSPO academy now that it is 680 hours long same as SSPO.
I think I know what you're saying. Although your exact wording seems to present at first glance as, perhaps MPTC will recognize SSPO at 680 hours, as equivalent to MPOC?
Pretty sure that would still be a solid "NO" unless Charlie can get MSP/Masschiefs/MPTC/Legislature to agree to it all at once.

Reactions: j809
#14 ·
The problem was the College Chiefs aka MACLEA. .
FUCK MACLEA! they barely got enough juice to make the the soles of the Colonel and the Municipal Chief's shoes damp.
IF Charlie and the Chiefs/Colonel/Council decide anything, you can bet Campus Chiefs will have little say in the end....

#19 ·
FUCK MACLEA! they barely got enough juice to make the the soles of the Colonel and the Municipal Chief's shoes damp.
IF Charlie and the Chiefs/Colonel/Council decide anything, you can bet Campus Chiefs will have little say in the end....
Believe me I share the exact sentiments about MCLEA. I was only relaying what I read. I still hope those of us stuck in SSPO purgatory finally get something out of this whole POST thing as we've always gotten the shaft.

#8 ·
I've seen colleges that will put right in the job description "must attend SSPO after hire" and people who have gone to work there that are told not to worry about it because it'll never happen.
Sooo, they just have untrained cops working for them? I can imagine how that'll be in a few years:

New guy: "Sergeant, I have a situation here and I don't know what to do."
Sgt: "How did they teach you to do it in the academy?"
New guy: "I don't know, I never got to go to the academy!"
Sgt: "Oh shit! I was hoping you could tell me...I never went either."

#15 ·
If any place is ready to be defunded or disbanded, it’s the campus police departments. I can see all these liberal turds trying to please the students and replace them with unarmed public safety officers. Mark my words, it’s coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
This is one time the “not real cops” perception some people have about campus cops is helping some of us. I know our agency has been safe from any defund/disband talks because our vocal minority doesn’t seem to realize we’re actually armed, sworn cops and has instead been focusing their efforts on keeping municipal and state law enforcement off campus, which of course won’t happen either.

#20 ·
Hey, thanks for the answers!
If any one is interested, I have found four different training standards in state law for police officers of different types, and some types of police officers for which no training standard is evident in state law.

#25 ·
Once the colleges start hemorrhaging out graduates with MPTC full-time certs the whole game will change. It will be important to let the graduates know that the cert means that they are considered to have graduated from a full time police academy. Many may not realize that they have been trained to the level of a full time officer and might miss out on the opportunity to apply to become full time officers. The knowledge they have received from half-baked Marxist professors will be invaluable on the street.

#26 ·
The knowledge they have received from half-baked Marxist professors will be invaluable on the street.
That was particularly funny. In the end, I'm not certain how much will really change though. Look how much changed when Coupe Deval "eliminated" details. Then he dismantled the Quinn Bill here in Massachusetts, and look what happened in Atlanta and Minneapolis because of it...................
Er, wait a minute. Guess We really didn't need educated cops after all:confused:

#27 ·
People of color are disproportionately harmed and killed by medical professionals at a substantially higher rate than law enforcement but yet nurses and doctors aren’t called out for their educational shortcomings or lack of training.

Interesting. It’s almost like all this police hate is misguided and just... blue racism.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.