Is MSP still running SSPO academies? | MassCops

Is MSP still running SSPO academies?

Discussion in 'Law Review' started by NEPS, Jun 28, 2020.

1. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

I am researching some of the consequences of Governor Baker's bill on police certification. Can anyone tell me if MSP is still running SSPO academies for campus police, or do university/college police now opt exclusively for the reserve academies for certification? If SSPO academies are still operating, when was the last one?
    My thanks to anyone who can provide info.

2. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

I think part of the reason for the decline in SSPO academy attendance is the proliferation of self sponsorship that this state saw in recent years. There was an abundance of full time MPOC trained officers, with not enough jobs for them. Supposedly now the hiring market is becoming more of a candidate’s market, only time will tell but it certainly wasn’t just a few years ago.
    Colleges and universities had no reason to pay for someone to go to SSPO when they could in all likelihood hire a recent self sponsor to an MPOC. Self sponsoring recruits wouldn’t go to the SSPO academy, they’d go to a full time MPTC academy, which would alllow them to work for a town or a campus. So there was just less need/demand for SSPO classes.

3. 02136colonel

I wouldn’t say that more campuses are relying on reserve academies though. Certainly some still do, but a lot of campuses want at least the SSPO academy, if not a full time MPTC academy. None of the bigger schools accept a reserve academy, and Northeastern actually runs their own full time MPTC academy with Cambridge

4. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

not sure if i’d call it an academy lol

5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I wonder if MPTC will take the SSPO academy now that it is 680 hours long same as SSPO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 likes this.
  6. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I think I know what you're saying. Although your exact wording seems to present at first glance as, perhaps MPTC will recognize SSPO at 680 hours, as equivalent to MPOC?
    Pretty sure that would still be a solid "NO" unless Charlie can get MSP/Masschiefs/MPTC/Legislature to agree to it all at once.

j809 likes this.
  7. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

I’ve seen colleges that will put right in the job description “must attend SSPO after hire” and people who have gone to work there that are told not to worry about it because it’ll never happen.

mpd61 likes this.
  8. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

Sooo, they just have untrained cops working for them? I can imagine how that'll be in a few years:

New guy: "Sergeant, I have a situation here and I don't know what to do."
    Sgt: "How did they teach you to do it in the academy?"
    New guy: "I don't know, I never got to go to the academy!"
    Sgt: "Oh shit! I was hoping you could tell me...I never went either."

Sooty, zm88, mpd61 and 2 others like this.
  9. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Colleges can get waivers you must have the reserve academy at least coupled with a college degree in lieu of sspo academy

mpd61 likes this.
  10. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

I can see how you interpreted it that way. I was referring to guys working on permanent waivers for reserve academy plus college degrees.

11. msw

msw MassCops Member

In a few years, it won’t matter: Either (a) there’ll be no need for cops, as they’ve been replaced by the Peace & Love Unicorns and Rainbow Rapid Response Teams; or (b) no one will want to be a cop; it’s going to be hard to find applicants with IQs above room temp who will do the job, as more and more states eliminate Qualified Immunity.

Sooty, CCCSD, Goose and 1 other person like this.
  12. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

Gotcha.

From a training standpoint, it's stupid; SSPO is much more comprehensive. But on the other hand, I can see it from a college's financial standpoint: if a new hire can get a permanent waiver from the SSPO academy, what's the point of spending the money?

mpd61 and AB7 like this.
  13. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

The problem was the College Chiefs aka MACLEA. Years ago the idea of a SSPO bridge class was floated by the then new MPTC Director and the College Chiefs Association put up a stink and flat out said no. They were worried about losing officers. Ironically many officers move on to municipal jobs anyway. It was documented in the February 2011 meeting minutes if memory serves.

14. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

FUCK MACLEA! they barely got enough juice to make the the soles of the Colonel and the Municipal Chief's shoes damp.
    IF Charlie and the Chiefs/Colonel/Council decide anything, you can bet Campus Chiefs will have little say in the end....

15. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

If any place is ready to be defunded or disbanded, it’s the campus police departments. I can see all these liberal turds trying to please the students and replace them with unarmed public safety officers. Mark my words, it’s coming.

mpd61 likes this.
  16. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

As are the Active Shooters...

17. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

It won’t matter to them until it happens. The new narrative is to defund and fuck the police. That’s what’s hot right now

Joel98 likes this.
  18. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

This is one time the “not real cops” perception some people have about campus cops is helping some of us. I know our agency has been safe from any defund/disband talks because our vocal minority doesn’t seem to realize we’re actually armed, sworn cops and has instead been focusing their efforts on keeping municipal and state law enforcement off campus, which of course won’t happen either.

mpd61 likes this.
  19. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

Believe me I share the exact sentiments about MCLEA. I was only relaying what I read. I still hope those of us stuck in SSPO purgatory finally get something out of this whole POST thing as we've always gotten the shaft.

mpd61 likes this.
  20. NEPS

NEPS 75th N.H.P.A.

Hey, thanks for the answers!
    If any one is interested, I have found four different training standards in state law for police officers of different types, and some types of police officers for which no training standard is evident in state law.

21. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

Police officers with no training? Sounds like a constable’s wet dream.

02136colonel likes this.
  22. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

[​IMG]

Poppy206, EUPD377, mpd61 and 2 others like this.
  23. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

UMass-Boston PD is facing layoffs and demotions, so it’s already happening.

My son was accepted to UMB, I told him to forget it, once I heard that.

Goose, j809 and Joel98 like this.
  24. 02136colonel

Due to the financial crisis, or for political reasons? UMB was already facing significant financial issues even before COVID hit, so budget cuts were a risk for every department there. That said, I’d be very suspicious of their motives if the PD has a disproportionate budget reduction compared with other departments within UMB

Joel98 likes this.
  25. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Once the colleges start hemorrhaging out graduates with MPTC full-time certs the whole game will change. It will be important to let the graduates know that the cert means that they are considered to have graduated from a full time police academy. Many may not realize that they have been trained to the level of a full time officer and might miss out on the opportunity to apply to become full time officers. The knowledge they have received from half-baked Marxist professors will be invaluable on the street.

Goose and mpd61 like this.