Is It Ethical to Use Killer Robots in Battlefield of War? | MassCops

Is It Ethical to Use Killer Robots in Battlefield of War?

Discussion in 'Military News' started by CJIS, Sep 17, 2009.

1. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Is It Ethical to Use Killer Robots in Battlefield of War?

news.bbc.co.uk A leading academic has called for an international debate on the ethics of using autonomous robots for war.

Not sure what the difference is if the robot is doing the killing or a human. Either way someone is going to end up dead and if anything it will be one less person that will.

2. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

'Odd way'
    Professor Sharkey, a professor of artificial intelligence and robotics, has long drawn attention to the psychological distance from the horrors of war that is maintained by operators who pilot unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), often from thousands of miles away.
    "These guys who are driving them sit there all day...they go home and eat dinner with their families at night," he said.
    "It's kind of a very odd way of fighting a war - it's changing the character of war dramatically."

Oh, sorry liberal scumbag that the good guys live to fight another day while the insurgents find disgusting ways of killing troops and civilians alike, say, using children as suicide bombers? Beheadings? Would you rather they go back to their families in body bags? Would that help you sleep at night? They are not "officially" backed by any goverment so where is their adherence to the Geneva Convention? Put your wimpy butt out on the battlefield under those conditions. Then come back (if your lucky) and see if you still believe this. Just go back to your classroom and continue teaching your students to hate the establishment! End of rant!

3. John3885

John3885 MassCops Member

Either way the robots will eventually turn on us!!!

4. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

Skynet will become self aware.

5. Boston Irish Lass

Boston Irish Lass MassCops Member

It's certainly one way for the USA to become a force to be reckoned with again. Who doesn't know that half the fun for them is killing American soldiers? They can piss off into the night if they don't like it. Nobody asked them.

Anyone here in the states not interested in being the strongest can hop in their little green machine and drive to an airport so they can now go help a country that will surely need it.

6. grn3charlie

Awww yeah! Gotta destroy the system core. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. Geek check! I'm busted!

7. John3885

John3885 MassCops Member

Better get the CA Governor on the phone have him take them out

8. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Absolutely. The sand people will still be fighting in another fifty years when the technology is ready and i'd rather have my tax dollars spent there than on welfare, acorn, etc. Although there has been talk of them becoming self aware, it is an edge that we can utilize to our advantage. We are bound by many regulations that the terrorist are not and we can use all of the whoop ass we can send to scare Allah right out of them.

Can you imagine the horror of any foe when the machines arrive on the ground? It could certainly speed up resolutions. Unfortunately, China will probably have the machines in use much sooner...

9. jedediah1

jedediah1 MassCops Member

killer robots are better than dead americans anyday...let england send humans if they disagree

10. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

[​IMG]

Hmmm... Just as long as they aren't made by a little company that goes by the name of Cyberdyne.

11. Eagle13

Eagle13 #FYPM

Your last name must be Connor.

This coming from the same country that was pissed and still is bitter about the unconventional tactics the United States' militias used to defeat them in the Revolutionary War. If we played by England's rules we would still be marching into battle in straight lines, in red uniforms, with muskets, a drummer and a bugler.

12. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

The robot the liberals prefer..

[​IMG]

The robot that can actually get the job done..

[​IMG]

13. John3885

John3885 MassCops Member

14. grn3charlie

OMG Geek Check!!!! It's spreading!!

15. 8MORE

8MORE MassCops Angel

I believe it was LtGen. George S. Patton who stated," It is not you're job to die for you're country, It is to make the other dumb poor bastard die for his."

16. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Our bots will most likely be operating with software and hardware made in China. Also, the Chinese Sovereign Wealth Fund will own a stake in most of our production companies.

17. BizzyNCo

BizzyNCo MassCops Member

I agree...better off using robots ANYDAY than a Soldier...why would anyone care if we use robots? Shouldn't ever take into consideration the feelings of others who use their own to create mass casualties

18. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Yeah but too bad for them they will be made in China

19. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

Next question.

20. 5-0

5-0 Guest

how is it any different than a bomb or a mine? in my humble opinion... Robots Awayyyyyyy!

21. Beal Feirste

Beal Feirste MassCops Member

You know, I just had an image of some kid today playing World of Warcraft or some such game being one of the few actual humans controlling vast swathes of Droids via a command center in future wars.

22. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

Anyone see the original Star Trek when they come across two waring worlds who used robots, computers and have rules for their war. These worlds were at war for thousands of years because they never experienced the horrors of war so the two worlds never had a incentive to stop the war. One of my favorite episodes.

Star Trek
    A Taste of Armageddon:|

23. Beal Feirste

Beal Feirste MassCops Member

Perhaps a taste of the future.

24. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

My next question...

Do I get to control said robot? Will it have a Windows-based GUI or will I be able to sync my XBOX 360 controller to the robot?

Do I get my choice of weapons to equip my robot? Can I name him Megatron? Can he have anti-RPG armor and have dual shoulder mounted miniguns? I mean seriously, if we're gonna do something, we need to do it right.

25. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

Read "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card...