Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any specific law yet that prohibits non-law enforcement individuals from possesing and/or using those IR traffic light changers? If not, what do you think would be the best way of citing said person?

·
Registered
193 Posts
There is no law against possession of a "IR traffic light changer" if a violator is caught using one it is unlawful pursuant to MGL 266/94 as it interferes with a traffic control device. I would also consider citing 90/24(reckless op) depending on the situation i.e. during heavy traffic.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
MGL Chapter 266: Section 94

"...wilfully, intentionally and without right defaces or otherwise injures, removes, interferes with or destroys any traffic regulating sign, light, signal, marking or device lawfully erected or placed under public authority on any public way, shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than six months or by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars."

·
Banned
117 Posts
The only place I have seen them is in Galls and that is a restricted item. Also about them, I dont think it was the brightest idea of developing one that changes the light green. There is the chance someone isnt paying attention to anything but the light and the music and gets into an accident. I have heard of that happening. I know it is useless posting this hear because it wont change anything but I think they should have developed one that changes all lights at the intersection red. You will be allowed to pass through there without having to worry about anyone cutting out in front of you and getting into an accident except where its allowed to turn right on red and also if there is someone who wants to try to beat the light. But still the chances of getting into an accident with one of those gadgets turning all lights red at the intersection have been greatly reduced. What do you guys think.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I take back about what I said about them making them make the lights all turn red. I misunderstood what they did. I think they are a must have for fire depts. and police. Fire trucks need all the help they can get. For police my reasoning is about a chase I saw on cops. The police were chasing this guy that stole a vehicle and when they went to make a stop on him, he took off. They were going so fast that when the officers stopped at a red light that the suspect blew right through, they almost lost the guy. What kept them from losing him was that the suspect went to make a turn and crashed into a building. If that guy didnt crash, they would have lost him. That is why I think that police should have the light changers in their vehicle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If a suspect is that reckless that pursuing him will likely result in a high speed chase creating such a dangerous situation where the driver is likely to hurt himself or another person most of the time we would end the pursuit.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
Re: re: IR Traffic Light Changers

darkknight750il said:
If a suspect is that reckless that pursuing him will likely result in a high speed chase creating such a dangerous situation where the driver is likely to hurt himself or another person most of the time we would end the pursuit.
Not in Marlborough ! ! ! They are the best they will always chase and get the bad guy, thats what my daddy tells me. :L:

·
Banned
117 Posts
Re: re: IR Traffic Light Changers

darkknight750il said:
That is what most likely happen, but they didnt end the pursuit on cops. They probably continued the pursuit because there wasnt heavy traffic or they did it just for cops.

Yes, I do remember once that police had to call off a pursuit in Marlborough that happened in September because they were entering a school zone. It started in Worcester and went up 290, I think it was drugs, if not it was because it was a stolen car. MSP from all around was involved in the pursuit. Not long after the pursuit was called off, the suspect ended up rear-ending a MSP cruiser parked on the side of the road on Broad Street. I dont know how she did that but she did. I live across the street from Fort Meadow Reservoir and can see across the lake and see route 85. I was able to see 2 Worcester PD units going across the causeway (reservoir street) and went back down toward Hudson on 85. A minute later, here comes Hudson PD fully lit up going across the causeway at 30 mph making a sorry ass attempt to catch up to the chase.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Beverly Police use opitcoms(which are the same idea as IR) in thier new light bars. The are two major problems though. About third of the traffic lights in town are equipped with the technology and half the cruisers have the new light bars.

And in the new light bars there is no way to shut off (I belive they were wired to a separate switch now) the signaling device unless you shut off the front strobes. ](*,) #-o That means if you do a " mam your tail light is out" and your near a traffic light, it will activate the light. :roll:

·
Banned
117 Posts
If it could be rewired, my suggestion would be wire it to a separate switch or if there is not enough switches, wire it so it is activated when the whole bar is lit up. That is how the Marlborough P6 is wired with its mirror, sidemarkers, and reverse light strobes, they (MHQ) wired it so they are activated only when the whole bar is lit up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts