Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
326 Posts
Lots of interesting points here. I have one thing to add. Regardless of what action you take, consider the following.

I came across a similar circumstance out on the water one time. The group involved was a family acquaintance and neighbor. It was a real dark night and as I was patrolling through the water I saw a boat moving with no lights. Then I heard two splashes. Two ladies decided to jump from the moving vessel and the operator was very erratic - he hit two boats while trying to recover his passengers before I could make it to his position and make the stop. (If your confused, this was an obvious BWI - and no one left on board who could safely control the vessel) Once everyone (including me) was safe, and they all realized who caught them, they began downplaying everything. I wasn't downplaying anything and they said I should be ashamed for giving them such a hard time. The rest of the story is inconsequential, as that was the point that it finally struck me that THEY should be ashamed for putting ME in that situation.

I'm sure others people here have had something like this and came to the same realization. It was important to me because it is what finally made me lose that strange embarrassed feeling I had when dealing with someone with a personal connection and allowed me to realize "hey, I'm the good guy here!" It allowed me to be more objective about discretion in that type of situation.

-Eric

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.