Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm in a curious mood today. For those of you who went to college and did an internship with a criminal justice agency, please share. Any place where you wished you interned but couldn't/didn't? Any place you would advice the CJ majors on this board to avoid?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am giving serious thought to going back to college and getting my BA. One of the colleges I am looking at requires an internship for CJ majors and wont allow you to intern at anyplace you've worked for in the past or am working for now.

Anyone know what an internship with MSP would be like?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did an internship with the Troop H CAT team (MSP). You have to be enrolled at UMASS Boston or Curry college in the Cj or Sociology program. I went to Umass, it has a good CJ program. It was really convenient to the South Boston barracks, it's right down the street. I did numerous ride-a-longs, some clerical work, etc. I learned a lot from those guys.

·
BOOM!
1,353 Posts
I graduated from Suffolk and they had an intern opportunity for seniors. They set me up with the Auto Theft Strike Force which happened to be right across the street at 1 Ashburton Place. I interviewed witht them and it looked like it was going to be pretty boring, lots of paperwork etc. So, I used some connections to see if I could go to one of the barracks instead. I ended up interning with the MSP H-4 in Boston for my entire senior year. I worked every Friday from 0700-1500 and it was great. My very first day, I was there for 15 minutes when the Sgt. was taking me out on a ride along. The poor troop secretary was running out the door after us to try and get me to sign a waiver of liability before I left. All in all, a great experience.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The college I am looking at doesn't care how much military or law enforcement experience you have, they still want you to go thru an internship in the Criminal Justice field. I have a friend of mine who interned in probation in Florida... he said he went thru the Correctional Probation academy and during his internship actually held a light caseload... which I found strange but it must have been an awesome learning experience for him.

·
1,334 Posts
If your on the job already and the school has those restrictions about interning at current places of employment I would look toward a probation department, DA's office, or other court related entity that qualifies. Like Wiggum eluded to, I can see their tendency to make a college student intern an errand runner, but on the other hand someone with half a brain would (I hope) assign someone currently on the job in a different capacity. If you find the right situation, I am sure it could be beneficial to them having someone currently on the job and with a working knowledge of the system and for you as far as making contacts and connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.