Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Settling a Freedom of Information case brought by The Register Citizen, the Torrington,CT. Police Department last night released hundreds of pages of transcripts of steamy sexual banter that took place between a police officer and two female dispatchers while on the job, using sophisticated equipment used to communicate emergency messages between police headquarters and officers' cruisers.
The link below includes selected portions of the transcripts, including exchanges in which the officer and a dispatcher plan sexual encounters while on duty and talk about where in the police station they could do it, including the gun room.
CLICK HERE TO READ POLICE CHAT TRANSCRIPTS: 36 PAGES (contains graphic content)

Officer Chris Donovan resigned and two dispatchers also resigned their jobs as a result of the internal probe.

TORRINGTON - Sex on the job lead to the resignation of a police officer and two female dispatchers in June, an internal affairs investigation released Wednesday reveals.

The police department launched an investigation into the relationship between Officer Chris Donovan and dispatchers Jennifer Street and Cathy Goodfield after several other officers and dispatchers reported they were flirting while on duty and appeared to be spending an inordinate amount of time with each other, according to documents released after a Freedom of Information request.
The 650-page investigation shows extensive misuse of sophisticated equipment for sexual chats, which has led to a thorough review of police communication systems. Donovan, who has also been reprimanded for sleeping on duty, bad mouthing other officers and having dispatchers "ditch" his calls while getting a hair cut while on duty, resigned June 9. Street, 23, resigned May 28, and Goodfield, 41, resigned early June.
Donovan, 36, said in a statement provided to investigators that he had engaged in sexual intercourse with Street, including in the female locker room of the police department, for about one month. Donovan and Street independently told investigators in statements that they had engaged in sexual intercourse from late April to late May. Goodfield also admitted to having sex with Donovan, according to the investigation.
Donovan, Street and Goodfield could not be reached for comment Wednesday.
A handful of police officers and dispatchers reported they suspected Donovan and Street were having an inappropriate sexual relationship while on duty, according to the investigation.
Sgt. Linas Venclauskas, the union representative, and Sgt. Paul E. Zeller headed an investigation, which involved interviewing Donovan, Street, Goodfield, their colleagues and reviewing written communications between Donovan and Street and Goodfield. Donovan and the two dispatchers used the city-owned mobile data terminals to exchange sexually explicit comments, according to transcripts provided from the internal investigation.
While Torrington Police Chief Robert Milano was quick to condemn the actions of Donovan, Street, and Goodfield on Wednesday, he also said the three partook in their affair during lunch breaks, and therefore did not jeopardize the safety of the community.
"At no time was the public safety function of the department in jeopardy," Milano said Wednesday night. "I am fully satisfied with the investigation. We immediately took steps to contain the situation. Within a few days from when the story broke, (Donovan, Street and Donovan) were gone."
REGISTER CITIZEN

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,584 Posts
Ok, yeah, I read the transcripts. What they did was sure stupid, but I can't help but envy Officer Donovan. If that last line means they were fired, as wrong as their actions may have been, if was a first offense, that might have been a little harsh. The Chief himself said that they never jeopardized public safety. A big suspension I feel would have been sufficient. Just my opinion.

·
Subscribing Member
2,134 Posts
Ok, yeah, I read the transcripts. What they did was sure stupid, but I can't help but envy Officer Donovan. If that last line means they were fired, as wrong as their actions may have been, if was a first offense, that might have been a little harsh. The Chief himself said that they never jeopardized public safety. A big suspension I feel would have been sufficient. Just my opinion.
You envy someone who's engaging in unethical behaviors? How sad for you. Certainly, Officer Donovan and his work harem can take their sexual escapades elsewhere. No, you don't have to choose to live by my moral code, however, I expect my co-workers to not be engaging in their sexual indiscretions while on duty (or at anytime inside the police station, for that matter). Once again, I defer to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics...

G

·
Once again, I defer to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics...
No one ever taught me that at the academy, nor have I ever seen an official version.....just stuff passed around the Internet that's barely one step above the weepy "feel sorry for me because I'm a cop and have to work when you don't" garbage that pushes my detonator every time.

Officer Donovan and the dispatchers are guilty of extreme stupidity; don't ever do anything or type anything on department equipment that you don't mind being on the front page of the newspaper. Any FTO that doesn't tell his newbies that is remiss in their duties.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,584 Posts
You envy someone who's engaging in unethical behaviors? How sad for you. Certainly, Officer Donovan and his work harem can take their sexual escapades elsewhere. No, you don't have to choose to live by my moral code, however, I expect my co-workers to not be engaging in their sexual indiscretions while on duty (or at anytime inside the police station, for that matter). Once again, I defer to the Law Enforcement Code of Ethics...
My envy was in the attention he drew from two women at once. I'm a bad person.

I'm not excusing what they did and even said in my first post how stupid they were. I mean, REALLY STUPID. They got caught? Well, DUH. Like Delta said, you use department equipment, you gonna git caught. It's not like it was a personal account on the computer, it was the dispatch computer. Did they really think no one would ever notice?

Small joke on my part, that's all. And where IS this code of ethics and do chiefs have to follow it too? It doesn't seem so sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts