Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noted two interesting sightings on Saturday as I drove to W. Springfield gun show (big waste of time) on I-90!

- On the way out there, I spotted a car towing another car on a "front wheels dolly" type trailer. Neither the trailer or the car in tow had license plates visible anywhere (yup, I see tow trucks towing cars all the time without plates on the car under tow). The towing vehicle looked like an old unmarked . . . and sure enough it was NY Reg "Capt 145" with a dash-mounted blue light (just mounted, not turned on). Looked like a "repo" or a car that was picked up at an auction in MA and being hauled back to NY. No MSP in sight and I guess that Capt 145 was counting on "professional courtesy" in case he was stopped. :lol:

- On the way home I spotted EP and MSP vehicles parked on the Westbound side of I-90 near the Paxton exit. The EPO had a rifle slung over his shoulder as he and the Trooper walked Eastbound in the breakdown lane (damn dangerous since their cruisers with lights flashing offered them no protection as they were ~1/4 mile further up the road). . . not used to seeing LE with rifles walking along MA highways. No damaged vehicles or anything else in that area. Don't know if they were tracking a wounded animal or some other hazard. Not enough activity to be looking for a human.

·
MassCops Member
152 Posts
The old unmarked with the NY reg was probably someone from a VFD since police use red in NY. Shouldn't be a problem in MA... just like limo-tinted windows on cars from NY and CT. I didn't know you couldn't tow a vehicle that didn't have a plate on it. The car dolly (trailer) is a big target.

The EPO and Trooper probably had a call for a bear or a moose in the area.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Hey Len!

Did you notice if the EPO was carrying a roll of Toilet Paper?
:wink:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sgt, AFAIK from my rusty Chapter 90 classes many years ago, everything that is rolling on the road needs a plate on it. I recall one of our Sgts telling me that he used to make tow truck operators drop their tow, go back to their shop and bring back a plate before moving the vehicle.

Mpd, if they were after a bear or moose, the Trooper should have been carrying the toilet paper! All the Trooper was carrying was his sidearm . . . not enough gun for moose or bear!

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Len if there is a dealer or repair plate on the wrecker in MA it covers the car on the hook.
My local repair shop just went to court on that
one, he had a letter from RMV stating it was legal.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I recall being told differently but it was >20 years ago and regulations and/or law may well have changed over the years.

What you state actually makes perfect sense to me for tow trucks. "Capt 145" is whole 'nother story! :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
90/9 has some stuff in it...not sure if there's other laws as well, but it's mentioned there in the first paragraph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.