Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I was just interested in the typs of internal and external training different departments provide or require for their dispatchers. I am interested in hosting some classes at my agency and was wondering how "in demand" the classes were. The classes that I am hoping to host are:

APCO 40 hour Basic Telecommunicator
Powerphone 16 hour Law Enforcement Dispatch

Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Training

Drew,

Starting next year (2004) the STEB (State 911) will be offering the 5 week Dispatch Academy for free. This Academy covers apco 40 hour, apco fire, ncic/leaps, Priority Dispatch EMD, Incident Command, Police dispatch and other various courses.

As and instructor myslef I would look into hosting 1-2 day in-service classes. Contact Dave Della Costa at Waltham 9-1-1 he has been doiing in-service classes for several years now.

Jeremie

·
Registered
665 Posts
It's about time, great, maybe some of our dispatchers can learn how to use all the screens on LEAPS. Is it mandatory, can we make dispacthers go to this training or is it voluntary?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Manditory

The 5 week academy is not manditory. It is free to any department that wants to send people. But the dispatchers salary will still need to be covered. I hope one day the academy is mandated but that is a long ways away.

If you are having issues with your dispatchers not knowing LEPA/NCIC as well as you would like I suggest talking to your dept's LEAP Rep about having some training done. Everyone that touches a LEAPS computer most be recertified every two years.

Jeremie

·
Registered
447 Posts
My thinking

My thinking is when it does become mandated by the state it will be required for anyone that works in dispatch (fire, ems, police) just like E911 is required for anyone that answers 9-1-1 calls.

But I will admit another 5 weeks for police officers and firefighters after going through their respective academies is alot.

G

·
LOMAC said:
It's about time, great, maybe some of our dispatchers can learn how to use all the screens on LEAPS. Is it mandatory, can we make dispacthers go to this training or is it voluntary?
LOMAC,

Why the Mall you work at doesnt have a good dispatcher.How dooooo you do it.

I tell ya what this is what you do.

--1st you Shut your PIE HOLE.Then shut the green rotating light off, get your lazy fat ass out of the golf cart walk inside the Mall, try not to scare the customers(that includes the children). Clean the crumbs off your white polyester shirt, wipe your mouth make sure you get all the cream off your face( we know you love the Boss but the public doesnt need to know that). Proceed to the Malls Central Security office (you know the one, the you punched your time card in). Put the sweet lips and knee pads away,Sit in the dispatch chair, clear your throat, blow your nose (try not to get any on anyone) and "AND START DISPATCHING!!!!!!!!".

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
LOMAC is really establishing himself here, isn't he? He's a real fan favorite.

High-5 hunter!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Some of the classes I've gone through at my agency besides the ones already mentioned are:

Hostage Negotiation
Suicide Prevention
Domestic Violence
School Violence Scenarios
Stress Under the Headset
Workplace Violence
911 Liability
Training the Trainer
MABAS (Relates to Illinois only)
In-Progress Crimes

There's more but I can't remember. These are the memorable classes that I thought helped alot.

And of course we are EMD certified and we must also get re-certified for our state computer system (LEADS) every 2 years.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dave just put together a great class in conjuction with MSP. Two sessions of "Bomb Squad for Dispatchers" were held last week, and it was very interesting. Good for some OEMS CEU's, too! :)

-Mike

G

·
bLOWMAC,

Dude, you are the greatest. I have some Tenactin for when you get athletes foot in your gum areas. You even make me look good on here. Keep it up laughing boy! That's right, you are "The Shit". Your new screename fit's you to a "T". Keep up the good work under the desk and someday the mall security manager may make you a Corporal. Now that would be "The Shit".

bLOWMAC
:stupid:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.