Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: I'm looking to replace the leather cruiser jacket that I've been wearing at work for the last Erumph humph years. It has nothing to do with the fact that I can't breathe anymore when I zipper it, but it's time for a new one.
So my question is this: I've gone over my old one with a fine toothed comb and can't find any info on who manufactured this coat/jacket. The local PD supply store sells one similar ,but different, if you know what I mean.
My old one is the "Boston PD" style with the two breast pockets with snap down flaps and two slash pockets with zippers. It has an inside pocket on the left inner liner. The liner is quilted and sewn in. There are slits on either side of the hem that allow access to the duty belt . It has knitted cuffs hidden inside the sleeves. The only tag is up at the collar and says "this fine leather garment blah, blah, blah. cleaning".
Are you Boston guys still wearing this jacket? I remember just about all of you did, but I haven't been up to the city in a long time. I gotta get away from this computer.
The problem with the ones my local store sell is that they all have zip out liners and seem to be a lot bulkier than my old one. I have enough trouble with bulk on my own without any help from my jacket.
Anybody recognize what I'm trying to describe? I bought my old one waaay back around 1990 and haven't a clue where I got it. How much do they cost now?

·
MassCops Member
297 Posts
Sounds like the old Taylor leather with the stitched in lining, made in Tennessee or Kentucky I think. Great coat, no longer available. The new Taylor leather is a good alternative, runs about $400.00+ depending on your size and if they have to kill the whole herd for your coat. Zip out the lining and throw out, you don't need it with a light sweater or turtleneck.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I ran in to an academy classmate of mine the other day who has the exact same leather jacket I did. (is it true the academy lasts more than 12 weeks now?) Anyhow it turns out my leather jacket was made by Fidelity Leather, who I'm told went out of business a long time ago.

I went to my local PD supply store and found the Taylor leather jacket that Buford T was talking about for $407.00. Ouch!

So then I went online to Taylor leather's web page www.ourleathershop.com and found that they will sell online and ship the jacket to your house. Cost $269.00 and about seven bucks to ship.

This internet thing is pretty good. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Now what's this stuff about not being able to shoot at fleeing felons anymore? :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Leather Jackets

2 Boston style Police leather jackets for sale, one is a 44 and the second is a 34 both in very good condition. Make me an offer. PM me\\:D/

·
Registered
9 Posts
sdb29 said:
Quick question: I'm looking to replace the leather cruiser jacket that I've been wearing at work for the last Erumph humph years. It has nothing to do with the fact that I can't breathe anymore when I zipper it, but it's time for a new one.
So my question is this: I've gone over my old one with a fine toothed comb and can't find any info on who manufactured this coat/jacket. The local PD supply store sells one similar ,but different, if you know what I mean.
My old one is the "Boston PD" style with the two breast pockets with snap down flaps and two slash pockets with zippers. It has an inside pocket on the left inner liner. The liner is quilted and sewn in. There are slits on either side of the hem that allow access to the duty belt . It has knitted cuffs hidden inside the sleeves. The only tag is up at the collar and says "this fine leather garment blah, blah, blah. cleaning".
Are you Boston guys still wearing this jacket? I remember just about all of you did, but I haven't been up to the city in a long time. I gotta get away from this computer.
The problem with the ones my local store sell is that they all have zip out liners and seem to be a lot bulkier than my old one. I have enough trouble with bulk on my own without any help from my jacket.
Anybody recognize what I'm trying to describe? I bought my old one waaay back around 1990 and haven't a clue where I got it. How much do they cost now?
Vanson Leathers Boston PD style leather jacket.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
Try Taylor Leather, Boston P.D. Style. I got my first one 15 years ago, replaced it in 2002. If I'm not mistaken, Taylor was a Boston based company.

·
Registered
202 Posts
-Goto VANSON leather in Fall River(headquaters). They will measure you and make any jacket to your specifications. Vanson is known worldwide as one of the best leather jacket makers in the world.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Many local depts. in NJ use Passaic Leather.

Passaic Leather
Phone: 973-777-4026
51 Market St
Passaic NJ 07055-7403

All of their jackets are custom made. Not cheap but outstanding quality. They also refubish leather jackets. They resored a friend WWII bomber jacket back to original specs. Might be able to help you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts