Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any college PD's who attend MCJTC in-service getting shut out this year. Rumor has it that only municipal depts are attending. I heard MBTA, BHA, Muni's, Amtrak are also getting shut out.

G

·
You mean I will miss "Rocket" Roger McCarthy Lt. MSP Ret. tell me one year that racial profiling is bad & then the 2 years later tell me it's OK to do for Arabs only. Damn, that's gonna suck.

Getting gigged by a civilian clerk for coming back late from lunch will me sorely missed as well. Wasted manpower I say. Do in-service every 2 years instead. All you have to do to keep current is just read the updates on M/V searches & you will be fine.

:sb: Let me step off this thing now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
That's odd, just got approved for in service at the Plymouth Police Academy and I work for a college police department.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Each academy can decide to allow campus officers if they wish, though you can get bumped for any municipal officer who needs it.

·
Subscribing Member
342 Posts
Actually it has pretty much always as JP64 states. Its just that as money is tight and less classes being offered more non-muni's are going to be bumped or refused.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
I was told you can only attend MCJTC inservice if you attending a MCJTC full time academy. For example if you went to a SSPO acadmey you can't go to a MCJTC inservice

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
When I was in the M.P.O.C I saw my former College Police co-workers at a M.C.J.T.C in service. Also the Agawam Academy will no longer let Umass send thier cops to the M.P.O.C. This is all just stupid, I cant see any reason to deny non municipal cops, its ridiculous.

·
Registered
164 Posts
MPTC (formerly MCJTC) website says that you must have attended an MPOC to attend supplemental training. This has been a rule for a # of years, but hasn't been enforced until recently, probably b/c of the budget cuts. However, the academies can still accept a campus officer if there is the space.

·
MassCops Member
103 Posts
I have been to both the M.C.J.T.C and the SSPO in-service and they both are terrible. Either way you are not missing much. I agree with housingcop, do your own reading.

·
Subscribing Member
502 Posts
With regards to the M.P.A. They dont do shit in the positive for Campuses. As a matter of fact, they fight each and every bill that goes forward with regards to SSPO powers being expanded. I even wonder if the M.P.A. would be able to survive without Campus membership.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mitpo62 said:
Campus Cops make up a MAJORITY of the membership to the MPA yet get treated like dirt. Go figure!
Maybe I'm wrong, and nothing against campus POs, but I find that hard to believe that campus police make up the majority of the membership of the MPA. How could that be given the number of municipal depts that have members of the MPA as opposed to the number of College/University Departments in the state :?: .

·
Registered
551 Posts
MCJTC/MPTC is funded by tax dollars, that is why they don't want persons from PRIVATE schools/hosptials going to free tax dollar supplied in-service.

·
Subscribing Member
4,370 Posts
Your department (private) or other than a municipality may attend inservice for a fee at the Lowell Academy.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
SPDFITZ said:
MCJTC/MPTC is funded by tax dollars, that is why they don't want persons from PRIVATE schools/hosptials going to free tax dollar supplied in-service.
I'm not sure about FT in-service... But every academy that offers R/I in-service, it's NOT free.... And for the folks whom are SSPO's they normally have their in-service provided by MSP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From the Training Council web page regarding FT Inservice:
The delivery of annual in-service training is funded by the state in the budget allocated to the MPTC by the legislature.
I believe that mens it's free for the department. Reserve Inservice is not, and I believe that's because it's put together by the Police Chief's Association (at least that's who my check was written out to).

As far as SSPO, I don't know anything about their inservice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.