In MA can a driver refuse to roll up his windows during a traffic stop? | MassCops

In MA can a driver refuse to roll up his windows during a traffic stop?

Discussion in 'Tickets & Citations' started by Mike5959, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Mike5959

Mike5959 New Member

Obviously this is related to a window tint violation. I can honestly say that it wasn't me but a friend of mine. He had this "fool proof" plan that he would drive with the windows down if he was in an area that has a higher than average chance if a traffic stop. That being said he was pulled over at night and on video. All the windows were shown being down and as soon as he passed the cruiser which was must have been posted up for traffic stop duty.

He was pulled over for suspicious activity and window tint. The suspicious activity was going to visit a friend in an apartment complex and the tint was not visible with the exception of the rear windshield.

The office didn't ask for license and reg, and he wouldn't even say his name.

So while I know illegal tint is illegal regardless. Is it legal to assume windows are tinted if you can't see them it seems like it would fall under a search and seizure type of statute.

2. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

You have allow investiagting officer access to make sure all equipment is working.

3. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

Don't worry Mike... Your friend will be okay.

[​IMG]

Goose and Duff112 like this.
  4. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Stop driving in areas where there is, 'a higher than average chance if [sic] a traffic stop'

5. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

You friend sounds like a lovely chap. Do the opposite of what he does in life.

Goose, pahapoika and FTH like this.
  6. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

How does fully grown adult becomes a self centered 3-year old? Must be those flushing blinking lights ... :rolleyes:

7. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Just curious, what kind of car let's him roll down the rear window? You don't have to answer, I'm bored this morning and felt like pointing out that the tinted rear window is in fact a window and the office saw that.

Weird, the one time I got pulled over the guy came up to my window; introduced himself; asked how my day was going; we chatted a bit about the weather, politics, religion and the general state of affairs of the world; he then explained why he pulled me over, told me to be careful, let me go with a warning and apologized for taking up my time; then, he asked if there was anything he could do to improve the service I received and offered me lunch money. Sounds like your guy was a real ass.

mtc, brk120, right.as.rain and 3 others like this.
  8. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I've beaten the piss out of otherwise benevolent folks for less ( like calling me a rent-a-cop)
    :cool:

9. Duff112

Duff112 MassCops Member

I grieve for the future of our species....

NorthshoreWannabe, Kenny and LGriffin like this.
  10. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

Honestly Mike it was my friend who met your sister on Revere Beach the other night, but I just have to ask about her teeth, I mean did she loose them playing hockey or is there more of a back story. She is a lovley girl and all, but the tatoos and swearing get a bit much after a while.......

Hush likes this.
  11. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

:D killed it.

12. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

Is that the friend with tinted windows?

LawMan3 likes this.
  13. FourInchFury

FourInchFury MassCops Member

14. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

I'm still wondering what the "suspicious activity" was.

FTH likes this.
  15. militia_man

militia_man MassCops Member

Silence implies a cover up to some people. I'm glad he set the record straight. His statement was also posted on MSP's Facebook page and the comments from people were mostly positive. I see nothing wrong with explaining how police operate to those that don't know. It can go a long way with the public. Social media is here to stay.

FTH likes this.
  16. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

I have to say, I don't see what public was complaining about ... People in the car were looking for trouble, yet officer was calm and explained them everything ...

17. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Did i hear that right? The trooper requested his license and registration seven times. By the second or third he should have been ripped out of the car and locked up. His phone should have been seized for evidence and his car towed. BIG props for the trooper keeping calm.

Tuna, Goose, Rock and 1 other person like this.
  18. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Mmmmm, I remember having to threaten to pull people out of their vent windows if they didn't submit by the 3rd request. That usually produced the requested documents. I don't think they make vehicles with vent windows anymore, do they?

mtc, pahapoika and Goose like this.
  19. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

did any one else notice that the trooper was not wearing his hat? :D

BxDetSgt likes this.
  20. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I just got gigged on my mid-year performance appraisal for not wearing my hat consistently.

No Effect on Pay + 29 months to retirement = DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!:p

21. Mr Scribbles

Mr Scribbles Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com

Vent windows? And I thought I was old!!!:eek:
    Johnny, fully 2/3rds of the trolls had to google that!

Tuna, Johnny Law and pahapoika like this.
  22. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

I actually miss vent windows.

Hell, even a vent you could open up on the floor would be nice :(

23. Mike5959

Mike5959 New Member

I should have assumed that there would be some ignorant replies here. You can search any Facebook you like hank moody. My name is Mike Crosby XX XXXXX ave arlington ma. Anytime you want to stop by for a chat feel free. Unlike you I'm not hiding under a stupid login name.

The person that got pulled over didn't refuse to tell his name to the officer. The officer refused to tell my buddy his name. I'm all for real police work. If the officer felt something was suspicious he should have used his training to actually figure out what was allegedly suspicious not just to arbitrarily write a tint ticket which will actually be the third ticket written by the same town for the same person. The previous Two tickets were thrown out by the magistrate. Maybe third time will be a charm for the lovely folks of North Andover.

24. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

After retirement you need to return to college policing. Just think, you can be an SSPO again. ;)

mpd61 likes this.
  25. Givin' Moorehead

Givin' Moorehead New Member

Wow. Hank moody is the real deal. Someone asks a question and in all honesty didn't say anything that bad but Hanky had to turn it into a shit show. Why would you personally attack someone's family on Facebook and then block them from being able to reply? Must be good to have the power to control the situations you chose.

26. Givin' Moorehead

Givin' Moorehead New Member

Hank. If that is your real fake name I just realized that you don't even allow people to see your history of you over 3000 posts on this site. I'm sure they are all very helpful and informative. Just private I guess.