Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been discussed a great deal with the constable but it seems as though it has been happening a lot lately.

Man allegedly impersonated a police officer


1 An off-duty police officer was driving in his own car on Dedham Street on Saturday, Jan. 24, at 2:07 a.m. when he was approached from behind by another car. According to the officer, the car had its high beams on and the driver was honking the horn. The car then pulled beside the police officer and the driver signaled the police officer to pull over. According to the officer, the driver told him "I'm an off-duty police officer. Pull over, I'm going to write you a ticket." At that time, the actual off-duty police officer asked to see a badge, then told the driver that he is an off-duty police officer. The driver then reportedly sped off towards his home on F Roadway, where he was followed and met by the actual off-duty police officer. Police said they are seeking charges against the 60-year-old Newton man for impersonating a police officer and operating a vehicle to endanger

Taken from the Newton Tab
 

·
Founder of MassCops
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
I had a good one last week. It was 18 degrees out and 3 AM. I see this girl walking down the street not dressed for the weather. I am in full uniform in a marked cruiser lightbar and all, big words on the side of the cruiser "ATTLEBORO POLICE". I stop pull along side of the girl and ask her where she is going, she tells me Pawtucket, RI (roughly about 6 miles away.) I get her info run her through and she checks out. I offer her a ride to the line and said I would make arrangements for PPD to take her the rest of the way home.

She looks at me, looks at the car and said thanks but no thanks there are too many fakes out there and I am going to have to go with my gut feeling on this one.

WTF :shock: I thought to myself, have a nice walk.
 

·
Out of the Loop
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
Well, we all know how shady a fully uniformed police officer in a marked cruiser can seem! :wl:

Seriously, and not to get on an :eek:t: discussion, but perhaps it was more just the idea of "hitching" a ride with a man she didn't know. She may possibly have had a general mistrust of police officers and overhyped stories of police misconduct with women may have been dancing through her head.
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,657 Posts
No matter what, It is still pretty scary that this young lady felt this way about Gil...............
Kmf/Fuocok I can see, But GIL!?!?!?!
:shock:
 

·
Founder of MassCops
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
mpd61 said:
No matter what, It is still pretty scary that this young lady felt this way about Gil...............
Kmf/Fuocok I can see, But GIL!?!?!?!
:shock:
Yeah, Kevin the mean bad ass, I'm just a caring social worker with a badge who likes to help. :innocent:

Oh well hope she didn't catch a cold.
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,657 Posts
40th MPOC#309 said:
Hey MPD-would you have offered her a ride if you were in your '51 Subaru sedan? :oops:
No!
But I'll bet she would get in a certain "brown sugar" 92' CV that I'm planning to Spark out! WHEEEEEEEEEEE!
:lol:
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
Gil said:
I had a good one last week. It was 18 degrees out and 3 AM. I see this girl walking down the street not dressed for the weather. I am in full uniform in a marked cruiser lightbar and all, big words on the side of the cruiser "ATTLEBORO POLICE". I stop pull along side of the girl and ask her where she is going, she tells me Pawtucket, RI (roughly about 6 miles away.) I get her info run her through and she checks out. I offer her a ride to the line and said I would make arrangements for PPD to take her the rest of the way home.

She looks at me, looks at the car and said thanks but no thanks there are too many fakes out there and I am going to have to go with my gut feeling on this one.

WTF :shock: I thought to myself, have a nice walk.
LOL LOL I thought only college police had experiences like this especially here at good old BHCC. Gil you must be the most advanced cop impersonator in New England.
 

·
Founder of MassCops
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
BHCCPD said:
Gil said:
I had a good one last week. It was 18 degrees out and 3 AM. I see this girl walking down the street not dressed for the weather. I am in full uniform in a marked cruiser lightbar and all, big words on the side of the cruiser "ATTLEBORO POLICE". I stop pull along side of the girl and ask her where she is going, she tells me Pawtucket, RI (roughly about 6 miles away.) I get her info run her through and she checks out. I offer her a ride to the line and said I would make arrangements for PPD to take her the rest of the way home.

She looks at me, looks at the car and said thanks but no thanks there are too many fakes out there and I am going to have to go with my gut feeling on this one.

WTF :shock: I thought to myself, have a nice walk.
LOL LOL I thought only college police had experiences like this especially here at good old BHCC. Gil you must be the most advanced cop impersonator in New England.
Yep the outfitting the car was my biggest expence, and getting someone to standby on the other end of the radio to answer my calls LOL :wink:
 

·
Founder of MassCops
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
In an attempt to get this back on topic..... Here are some other instances and information on fake cops

The instance of rapists and murderers pretending to be police officers is not of epidemic proportions, but enough incidents of this nature have occurred that precautions are warranted.

In 1948 in Los Angeles, Caryl Chessman successfully robbed couples and sexually assaulted a number of women in California after first fooling them into believing he was a police officer by flashing a red light at their vehicles. (Though often he approached parked cars this way, in at least one case he managed to pull over a car that was driving on Pacific Coast Highway.) His method of approach earned him the nickname of "The Red Light Bandit." Chessman was executed on a kidnapping charge in 1960, but only after gaining fame for writing three books while in prison (most notably Cell 2455 Death Row) and becoming the focus of the then nascent movement to abolish the death penalty.

Since then others have used similar ruses to isolate their victims. More recently, in 1997 Arkansas was plagued by its "blue light rapist" who assaulted three women after first luring them to the side of the road with the help of a police-style blue light mounted on his car. Robert Todd Burmingham was sentenced in 1998 to 80 years in prison for rape, kidnapping, and aggravated robbery.

In 2000, a Tampa woman was sexually assaulted by a man who had put a flashing blue and red light atop his car and motioned her off the road as if he was a police officer. After she admitted she had been drinking, he offered to drive her home; she got into his car, and he took her to an isolated location where he raped her. That case is still open.

Someone who has taken to impersonating a police officer for nefarious purposes is counting upon his intended victim's unquestioning cooperation. Because he appears in the guise of a trusted authority figure whose commands must be obeyed, he expects automatic reaction to kick in even if it overrides common sense. That could prove a fatal error to make.

In 1996 Governor Pataki issued an executive order to prevent unmarked New York state police cars from stopping motorists for routine traffic violations, citing "a growing number of cases around the country in which criminals trap their victims by posing as police officers." If he's worried about it, you should be too.
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
4,815 Posts
That's funny, Gil, I usually have the opposite problem; women are always trying to get into my cruiser while I'm patrolling...... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
When I was on the T Police, we would get the "You're not a real cop" argument at least several times a month. When I left there for the MSP, I figured the days of explaining who I was and my jurisdiction were behind me. I was wrong...

When I was on break-in, my first pursuit involved a woman who sped away from me because "how do I know you're really the Police?" How could she? It was just my FTO and I in full summer uniform (to include campaign covers) and his fully marked cruiser. What followed was a low speed pursuit that ended when she saw three Beverly cruisers waiting for her further down the road. Once she was in custody, I almost started laughing thinking about what my former coworkers at the T would say...
 

·
Subscribing Member
Joined
·
2,280 Posts
From 1977 to 1980 two serial murderers terrorized the Los Angeles area. Women were frightened to go out or even leave there apartments in fear that the murderers would get them. Two cousins Kenneth Bianchi and Angelo Buono who worked detailing and upholstering cars went around kidnapping, raping and then killing their victims, leaving them on a hillside just outside of LA. Hence the name Hillside Stranglers. The frightening thing about it was they impersonated LA police officers showing their fake badges and making motor vehicle stops in secluded areas. They then told the victims they were under arrest bringing them back to their car and finally victimized them. www.Hillside-Strangler.com
 

·
Out of the Loop
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
That was my point with Gil's situation (and SRR's), that she could have been so high or whatever (just dumb) that maybe she honestly did not think he was a real cop. However, I think a marked cruiser especially would cancel a woman's (or anyone's) concern of whether or not the person trying to stop them is a real police officer; a uniform alone could not do that since it can be easily obtained, patches too - a marked cruiser is a bit harder to come by. :shock:

However, it's not like officers on duty have not attacked women in their cruisers before.

I think someone posted it on here before, or maybe I heard this little safety tip on television - if you are driving alone and another vehicle is attempting to pull you over where you're not sure if the person is actually a police officer (unmarked car with blue lights or whatever), simply call 911 (if you have a cell phone) and ask the dispatcher why the officer behind you is trying to pull you over... that should confirm whether or not the "officer" is legit. If no cell phone, then pull over in a well-lit, more populated area or better yet, by a police station.
 

·
Grim reaper
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
I had a situation once where this woman (not the brightest bulb-it was obvious) would not roll down her window because she knew she didn't do anything wrong therefore I must not be the real Police. I remained calm and said, ok got a cell phone? Dial 911. Tell them ONLY where you are. They will in turn give you my name, your name and tell you what kind of car you are driving. All went according to plan and although the woman was still convinced she didn't do anything wrong, she realized this wasn't some gag. I'm sure the full boat V and subsequent Merit Rating increase keeps reminding her year after year..... :D
 
G

·
Two guys from my from my department responded in full uniforms and fully marked cars to a 911 hangup and the female that answered the door requested picture ID before allowing them to enter the hosue.

I can not really blame her with all the cases of people impersonating police officers in the media lately.

If you catch any of these creeps keep mind these are the people that have been making us look bad, making people question wether we are real police or impersonators and putting fear in the eyes of our wives and girlfriends or worse harassing them.
 

·
Founder of MassCops
Joined
·
6,401 Posts
davespd said:
Two guys from my from my department responded in full uniforms and fully marked cars to a 911 hangup and the female that answered the door requested picture ID before allowing them to enter the hosue.

I can not really blame her with all the cases of people impersonating police officers in the media lately.

If you catch any of these creeps keep mind these are the people that have been making us look bad, making people question wether we are real police or impersonators and putting fear in the eyes of our wives and girlfriends or worse harassing them.
That happened to a family in South Attleboro around 96 or 97, guy in black BDU's with a black ball cap with "POLICE" on it went to a house and said he was responding to a 911 hangup. I am not sure of all the details but he apparently did not attempt anything more than that. The victim called both APD and NAPD to verify that he was an officer responding to a call and found out the shocking news. Talk about balls! Not sure if he was driving a vic or not.
 

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
Joined
·
8,657 Posts
Gil!
I remember that. It was October 17th 1997. It was a NEMLEC team responding to Plainville, but got lost!
:L:
 
1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top