Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Anyone here have any idea what these guys (and girls) do? I took a test for this job 3 years ago and they finally called me. I have been looking it up through google and it seems to be a jail job more than anything else is. I was initially under the impression that it was investigations, detainment and removal. The pay is GS5 to start, which looking online seems pretty low but I am not sure of the exact figure. I am supposed to have the oral and the medical for it next week but I am not sure if it is worth going through if all I am going to be doing is working in a jail in San Diego.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wannabe1 said:
Hey guys,

Anyone here have any idea what these guys (and girls) do? I took a test for this job 3 years ago and they finally called me. I have been looking it up through google and it seems to be a jail job more than anything else is. I was initially under the impression that it was investigations, detainment and removal. The pay is GS5 to start, which looking online seems pretty low but I am not sure of the exact figure. I am supposed to have the oral and the medical for it next week but I am not sure if it is worth going through if all I am going to be doing is working in a jail in San Diego.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IEA used to be part of the ICE Office of Investigations and are now part of ICE Detention and Removal Operations. It is not a bad job but probably not worth moving cross country for. The primarily process illegal aliens coming out of county jails and state prisons. Since they recently merged the IEAs with the Detention Officers, some IEAs drive buses to voluntarily return people to Mexico or transport prisoners between facilities. In old INS IEAs would eventually become INS Special Agents. Now they will probably eventually become Deportation Officers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
id1811xecj said:
IEA used to be part of the ICE Office of Investigations and are now part of ICE Detention and Removal Operations. It is not a bad job but probably not worth moving cross country for. The primarily process illegal aliens coming out of county jails and state prisons. Since they recently merged the IEAs with the Detention Officers, some IEAs drive buses to voluntarily return people to Mexico or transport prisoners between facilities. In old INS IEAs would eventually become INS Special Agents. Now they will probably eventually become Deportation Officers.
I definately don't mind moving to SD but not if the pay blows bad. Any Idea of what GS5 pay would be? I can't find it anywhere except for the a old posting ('03) that said 28,000-35,000 depending on locality. If this is the case then it is definatley not happening.
Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I believe that is correct pay wise, low/mid 30's for a GS5, mid/high for a 6 etc. . I had a friend who got on with ICE and moved/sent to Miami, hatred the location but loved the job. He requested Bostons port and was told to wait 5 years and then maybe someday. He quit and works for Federal Reserve PD now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Depending if the Job gets LEO pay or not, if it does you would make as a GS-05 step 1 about 36000, if it does not rate LEO pay your looking at about 27000. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I am gonna call tomorrow and see if they will give me any more info. I am sure they won't but I can't take that kind of pay cut to live in a city that is that expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.