Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you just imagine State Campus Police Officers having their own union separate from Cooks/Clerks/maintainers?
:roll:
Ya know.... like the U/Mass system?

Where are we going? :shock:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
campus folks...go for it! If you think some laborer or lunch lady is your equal, stay with your current situation. Campus cops can take a beating...I reckon the chef might drown in his chicken soup, but you face serious bodily injury every day! Do not settle for less...go for the gold! :D

Owwww...I burned my wittle hand... 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
MOPAR-

I don't know where you work, but ASSME, I mean AFSCME is the greatest. There is no greater feeling than knowing that someone who changes the trash is there to represent you in case you are treated unfairly. (God knows that never happens....) :twisted:

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts
Doen't the state University Police (UMass) system also have Group 2 retirement as opposed to Group 1 retirement that the regular state College Police have? Does this have something to do with it as well? I know UMass has IBPO representation too. Thoughts?

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Disturbed Cop is right, there is no greater feeling than knowing a fellow janitor, or maintenance person is there to represent you, when youve wronged the college. I propose we have a day of celebration for our fine union, it is the least we can do, considering all theyve done for us, and our profession!!! :twisted: :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
I agree, we need to make this happen. Its about time we are treated as equals and given the respect we deserve. MCLEA can help us achieve that goal.

GO MCLEA, and THANK YOU RED SOX.

·
Registered
16 Posts
DOC's unit 4 employees were represented by ASCME until the early 90's then we formed our own independent union (MCOFU). Since we incorporated the MCOFU we have obtained so much more than what ASCME could have gotten us.

If feasable, independent union will always be better if you can get a decent amount of employess in your membership. That shouldn't be too hard since you have all the DMH, DMR, DPH, Community Colleges, and State Colleges.

ASCME will never bargain certain things for you guys like a public safety retirement since they have to represent the janitors and mental health workers as well. BREAK FREE! ASCME SUCKS!

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
ADG0911 @ Sun 31 Oct said:
That shouldn't be too hard since you have all the DMH, DMR, DPH, Community Colleges, and State Colleges.
Right but some rather stubborn people involved in the decision making process over @ MCLEA don't want to include any CPO's who are not Higher Ed. They want there own solidarity but I feel that when it comes to collective bargaining there is strength among numbers.

I'd like to take a minute to address any of the powers that be over at MCLEA who are reading this. Elitism before you are even organized is just arrogant, plain and simple. Good luck and start making better choices or the only thing you will lead you supporters to is disillusionment.

ADG0911 @ Sun 31 Oct said:
ASCME SUCKS!
I couldn't agree more

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Irish,

I wouldn't be so quick to smack MCLEA for leaving out AFSCME DMR/DMH/DPH and other agencies. They have to start somewhere and be manageable. Later they might be able to affiliate with those agencies. Relax Killer
:shock:

Of course those guys could try to bust off from AFSCME by forming MHSLEA ?(Massachusetts Human Services Law Enforcement Association)
Put that energy towards something positive
YEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
:lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd like to take a minute to address any of the powers that be over at MCLEA who are reading this. Elitism before you are even organized is just arrogant, plain and simple. Good luck and start making better choices or the only thing you will lead you supporters to is disillusionment.
MCLEA is far from an elitist organization. However, the simple fact is that our members are employed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Board of Higher Education. If, at the outset, we included members who were not employed by the BHE, we would have to collect multiple showings of interest and file multiple petitions with the Labor Relations Commission. This means that we would have to fight the same battle on many different fronts. You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to realize that this does not make sense. Limiting membership at the outset to BHE CPOs had absolutely nothing to do with arrogance or elitism. It was a practical decision.

We have had numerous discussions about including officers from other state agencies and those employed by private institutions. This is still a viable option. Far from elitist, MCLEA is very willing to partner with others who have similar interests - this is one of MCLEA's purposes. Alternatively, as MPD61 pointed out, nothing would prevent you from forming your own Association and attempting to leave AFSCME.

If you work in L.E. / corrections (from any agency) and you are interested in more effective bargaining representation, or have labor related questions, feel free to contact me. ([email protected], 508-820-1116). I will do my best to assist you.

Posted Sun 31 Oct, 2004 21:00:

Incidentally, the Labor Relations Commission has accepted MCLEA's petition and their initial investigation has shown that a legitimate question of representation exists. The LRC will schedule a hearing within the next few months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.