If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedures | Page 2 | MassCops

If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedures

Discussion in 'State Police' started by kwflatbed, Aug 4, 2010.

?

Would You Take The Option ??

Poll closed Sep 3, 2010.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vttroopah

vttroopah dirtbaggumus maximus

Re: If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedu

My last "situation" required lots of yelling at an armed man while holding him at gunpoint. Luckily the Troops were close and arrived in 20 -25 minutes. Had I been on the far side of the area, I'm looking at an hour at light speed. Let's be honest. Noone but us cares. As long as the job is done and you don't get the State sued, noone cares.

And in VSP, laterals are excepted within state because we use a statewide academy, however you are required to come to pre-basic (a chance to get acquainted :wink_smile:) and post basic academy.

I remember when the Registry guys changed uniforms. That went well. :smug:

2. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

Re: If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedu

FWIW, I don't agree with the idea either, but at least that Trooper would be safe. We all go home first and foremost, then you worry about covering all of the calls.

What I can't figure out is where we put the CMPSA Commandants?

3. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

Remember one thing, not specific to any agency. Much of admin serves at the will of elected officials. This means 1 of 2 things:
    1.) Upper admin administering swift kicks to the balls of the pols = upper admin being fired and replaced by people who will kick all of you in the balls.
    2.) Anyone below upper admin kicking pols in the balls will result in upper admin being kicked in the balls. This will result in upper admin kicking supervisors in the balls. This will flow through the organization until the whole organization is bent over and writhing in pain.

Even though it was mostly fiction, this was a central piece of what The Wire was all about. All the "power" the police have, but if you don't play the game, you'll be out on your ass. Can't fudge the numbers to make the pols look good? Fired. Speak out about injustices perpetrated by the will of the pols. Fired, and you lose your retirement.

So much press goes into the evil of police unions around here, but if not for the unions, we'd probably have Securitas for protection and speed cameras for traffic enforcement.

Remember that when the FD goes understaffed, somebody dies. It could be little Mary, Spike the Dog, or another firefighter. The press swirls, closed firehouses magically reopen, layoffs are reinstated within hours.

A shortage of police, in particular Troopers, means less traffic tickets- what's the big deal about that? And darest anyone cite the recent Troopers getting targeted by 4000 pound bullets- the pols, press and citizenry are convinced that if you weren't out working details, more Troopers could be out catching the real criminals.

The Academy is only part of the problem here. Figure you put 100 through this year. That's 100 recruits X $769/week (40k) X 17 weeks (26 weeks- 9 weeks proposed in this disastrous thread) . $1.3 million in savings (in recruit salaries) to put on a lateral class. Hiring 100 new employees, at $60k/ yr ($40k + bennies) is a $6 million / year hit. They don't give a shit about the training- they don't want to pay for more Troops.

4. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Will this ever happen? Probably not. One thing people need to remember, the decision will not be made by cops, it will be made by politicians. The decision makers will probably have no clue what the difference is between the training of the state/municipal PDs. If it is decided that its a shortcut to an easy increase in numbers at low a cost, it might happen. The recruit standards and traditions of the state police will have *nothing* to do with the decision.

Also:
    Nobody thought the state PD would merge with the Mets/RMV - it did in 1992.

Nobody thought Boston PD would merge with the Municipal Building Police. - it just did.

Nobody thought that Boston PD would ever take laterals, it now is.

5. bok

bok MassCops Member

Nice post Edmizer1. The future is not guaranteed.... In addition, "1992" included the Capital Police. Boston Municipal Police Department police officers were offered the opportunity to merge with BPD. - and yes, Commisioner Lurch opened the door for laterals to satiate his former departments' underlings...

6. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

to make the same money as a regular trooper ?

sure.

7. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

You got that right. Fast forward to the day if it happens. 100s if not more will take that opportunity, thus creating more shortages in the municpal ranks. Then those same politicians will be crying poor and pitting the MSP against their department blah blah blah...insert clown music here. Every stroke of a pen from a politician is made for self-preservation and interests, not public safety. We all know that.

Ed, you know out in Springfield when they laid off about a 100 or so, the MSP got a few damn good cops out of that bunch. But since that's their way of trying to save money in that fine town, has anything gotten any better? Nope. Well, the MSP B Troop CAT team gets to hammer the shit out of that friendly metropolis each and every night. So I guess some good did come from it...

8. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Trooper shortage? Shenanigans, I've never sen as many Campaign covers as I did yesterday around Fairfax St..

Cept Sine of course.. He was still in the wrapper with an icebag on his head, nursing a G2.. Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

9. SinePari

Somebody has to maintain the perimeter at your FUBAR crime scenes.

Another shooting? "Oscar 7? Oscar 8? Oscar 9? Oscar 10? Anyone? Impact? DB? Anyone NOT on a 17 that can respond to shots fired? Pretty please, with sugar on top?" Crickets, crickets, crickets...

Actually, the amount of shootings over the last few days seems like the city's problem children are taking care of themselves.

10. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Hey, I stopped feeding my face (reluctantly cuz it was a goood samich) to go.. Not even my damn route...

11. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Misdeameanor murder, anyone?

12. SinePari

$25 littering fine

13. chief801

chief801 Subscribing Member

I do it in a heartbeat.....if I could be the Colonel! Bwahahahaha:wavespin:

14. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

You'd do it in a heart beat if you could be a Lieutenant. :wavespin: