If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedures | MassCops

If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedures

Discussion in 'State Police' started by kwflatbed, Aug 4, 2010.

?

Would You Take The Option ??

Poll closed Sep 3, 2010.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

This poll was suggested.

If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedures, would you put in for a lateral move?

2. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Re: If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedu

This idea will NEVER be an option, but "hell yes" would be my honest wet dream answer so i'm just gonna go in the basement and practice the wacker quick draw now:nerd: in honor of the dork who thought this up.

3. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

Re: If you just had to go through a modified academy to learn SP policies and procedu

It will never happen. However, at the rate the MSP Troopers aren't being replaced it wouldn't surprise me. Hopefully come November Deval will be gone!

4. afd414

afd414 MassCops Member

It's tough for numbers of troopers out there and we respect your help, but i love my job, and wouldn't give it up for working in Lee, or Springfield. Just my opinion.

5. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

The troops would go bare bones before they would ever allow this, even if the 800+ walked tomorrow.

POSD retrieved another RTT related "internal document" stating that they've reconsidered, not just because they believe it would reduce standards either, they simply fear LG and the wrath of the ghillie suit. Ya, I know:redcarded:but it felt good since i've essentially been decommissioned by one of their operatives.

Seriously though, aside from family constraints and all that, and since this is a mythical idea which will never come to fruition, anyone who wouldn't jump at the offer just hasn't how green MSP's grass really is.

6. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Sure, but the fact remains that the RTT's and the MPOC's just aren't what they were even a decade ago, so you'll never get that authentic lovin' feeling that really prepares you for the street and makes you earn your boots.

7. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

RUToh!

8. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Been there done that in 1992. Though I had no choice in the matter, it was still an awesome second half of my career.

If at the time I had a choice, I would have respectfully declined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Lost

Lost MassCops Member

To all you who say yes, or hell yes...
    What's the difference between a 9 week class and moving out to Lee vs. moving to a State PD like NH, ME or VT. I'd bet you would be able to waive the basic and just take an add on... You're dream could be upon you!

I don't buy that you want to be MSP for the money or riding pants, and working the southern 93 corridor is a lit less rural than Russell... So why not???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

do it right, or don't do it at all... no half-stepping allowed, sir.

11. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

I would only be for it if it was absolutely needed. By that point it would be 1 desk and 1 who covers the other barracks also.

Please Timmy drop out of the race!! We need Baker. Who probably won't make it either. Blah... I was driving home from some job back when Deval was elected.

If Deval had a brain... which he doesn't he would have put 2 and 2 together after all of the recent incidents with the MSP and fully fund an RTT with Salaries to cover the new boots.

I work with a bunch of Deval style administrators in the private sector. Hands so far up their ass they come out of their mouth.

12. Simon

Simon Guest

Those of you who say you wouldnt are fucking LIARS.......... (cc391234567890 excluded)

13. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

Don't forget, November's ELECTION is right around the corner. Perhaps, just perhaps, there may be another notch in his belt before it's time to color in the bubbles. Since the US AG's spot is not up for grabs right now, Deval may be as dumb as a fox...

14. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

15. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Maybe, maybe not.. Loss of 15 years worth of seniority to work mids in Lee.. Pay cut of at least $500/week.. All that provided one isn't too old..

Then again, that's short term. Long term: no more ratty ass fleet sleds.. More opportunities for training.. Work for an agency that actually is para-military, not pretending to be.. Work with individuals with a higher degree of discipline.. Better equipment.. Hell, going code 5 from your driveway..

Would guys already on always look at you with that look? "Oh, you're from that class..." Then again, you'd still have the title "trooper", so who gives a shit....

Would I want to go through an in-house classroom type lateral/abbreviated class? C'mon, where's the fun in that? I'm pretty sure I've been through a couple 2 or 3 "classes" where the environment was a little, umm, uncomfortable.. I'm all for esprit de corps building team excercises..

You going to lower the standards just to fill ranks? I'm all set thanks, already see it every day.. Guaranteed squared away individuals before going in? Count me in.. If I don't measure up, so be it, no hard feelings..

Too many unanswered questions to give a competent response..

16. k12kop

k12kop MassCops Member

And don't stop 'till I get tired, you nasty thangs!

17. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Honestly, there are States that DO have shortened lateral academies. Some have initiated the lateral process recently. (Oregon comes to mind). One could argue both side day and night. If a squared away Cop from X-Town/City has X number of years experience, then having him on the road as a Trooper would no doubt be invaluable. If same Town/City has bag-o-donuts do nothing officer also lateral over, then what is gained by the SP, other than a body?

Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Indiana, Florida, Oregon all have some sort of lateral program in place. The big difference I would say is that a lot of those states implement "training standards" state wide, in that everyone is trained the same.

Mass. has a long way to go before they can even fathom this concept of SP laterals.

18. The Bad LT

The Bad LT MassCops Member

This has been rumored for awhile. What will happen is more then likely they will just do a shortened academy and cut out all the drill and marching.

19. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

I don't think Simon Mall's high speed Mall Cop academy will qualify...

...way to dream though Snipe. :smoke:

20. POSD

POSD MassCops Member

Wow, what did I start with a simple, be it sarcastic, post in response to something I saw. The poll idea was just for shits and giggle. The poll isn't would the SP ever accept laterals or is it a good idea or not for the SP to accept laterals. It's simply a what would you do if give the option?

Remaining off poll topic, as far as would one be accepted as a "real Trooper" or not for not having gone through the full RTT; look at the Registry and MDC Police who merged with the SP. You can also look at the Munies that recently merged with Boston and the laterals we accepted. After a few months...no one remembers where you "came from." You are judged simply by what you do on the streets. Just my 2 cents. For me, any brother or sister in Blue is a FULL member of my family.

Be safe all.

21. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

I'd doubt it. It's been 18 years since the great merge that everyone said wouldn't happen. Still some venom being thrown around.

True. But some people are so insecure about who they are that they must constantly compare badges. In fact, those who never do shit on the street still tell academy stories...

22. trueblue

trueblue MassCops Member

I have many friends on the MSP and I respect the agency as a whole. That being said I wouldn't leave my department, friends and the area I know best.

23. TPD Lt.

TPD Lt. MassCops Member

How about having a city/town officer riding with MSP until they can run a few more classes. It wouldnt help cover more ground but for the time being the Trooper will have someone watching there back. They wouldnt be considered a "Trooper" simply just assisting MSP.

24. Deuce

Deuce screw you...

Fortunately we don't see those posers on the street..

Unfortunately, those posers are the ones making decisions affecting us...

25. TPD Lt.

TPD Lt. MassCops Member

But with a desk and two say you have one Trooper back at the station booking someone, and another Trooper is out fighting with some shithead/multiple shitheads. How long will it be before backup can make it to you? 10, 15 min? that is just crazy. Having another officer in the car does not cover more ground but it may just end up saving a Troopers life. Fuck the politics, in my opinion this would be a good temporary way to increase Trooper safety. MSP minimum should be a desk and 4.