IEA field office | Page 3 | MassCops

IEA field office

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by cal1nu, May 8, 2009.

1. pba05001

pba05001 MassCops Member

I also scored wayyy less than I thought. I got an 81 or 82 and I didnt think I would get more than 1 or 2 wrong. I found the BP test to be much more difficult and got a 92 on that.

2. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

What's the training for an IEA?

3. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

You will go to FLETC for a few months and take lots of immigration and criminal law classes, in addition to PT and firearms qual. It seemed quite similar to an MPOC from what I saw. Not as heavy on academics and tactical exercises as the 1811 course.

Plan to be able to run 1.5 miles in about 16:20 (low standard IMHO) to get in. Your time needs to be down around 14:00 by the time you graduate.

Though I've seen some tubs o' lard roll into training and barely make it in...

Hmm I thought I had the ability to edit posts, I guess not...

I was interrupted by a phone call earlier, so this continues.

AFAIK, the IEA Basic academy is roughly 12 to 15 weeks. It is held at FLETC Glynco only, regardless of what region the IEA is assigned to.

The current Spanish proficiency test is in the form of a phone call with a native speaker. There are people who are considered "fluent" in Spanish who fail the test, as it is loaded with idiomatic expressions from different regions of the world, among other things. Those who need to will attend an additional five-week Spanish course after graduating from Basic.

However...

The USBP Spanish exam is much more reasonable, and I have heard rumors that IEAs/1801s/1811s will be testing with that soon, or perhaps on a class-by-class basis to see how students score.

4. TGT1898

TGT1898 MassCops Member

I don't think this is credible. I took the written exam in 2007 and scored an 86.5 (this was before the resume/transcript requirement prior to sending out your NOR). I reapplied under the new announcement, faxed in my transcripts/resume and again...86.5

If they were creating a rating process based off of experience/qualifications then my score would have certainly gone up (due to the fact I hadn't even completed my degree when I took the test in May 2007, had very minimal relevant experience in the field and only had the reserve academy).

5. JMody

JMody Special...

That it does.

I have taken the test for the Police, Fire, and State Police when they were separate.

Police test I got a 97 on both occasions. State I got a 95. Fire I got a 92.

You can see why I was miffed about a 77. :alcoholi:

6. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

Well, maybe even with scores in the 70s we will come up on the list one day.

My problem solving skills are generally good, but sorting through the vague and convoluted statements on the IEA test was difficult for me (I hadn't slept much the night before and hadn't eaten that day either- not smart of me). At least now I know that in the future, I should prepare for a greater variety of question types on LE exams.

7. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

Trust me guys. I don't know of too many people who score high on that exam. Chances are you'll still get a TO it's just a matter of when. I wouldn't worry too much about the score as long as you passed, be prepared for a long, drawn out, and foolish hiring process.

8. JMody

JMody Special...

I have nothing about the process except for the fact that it takes a loooong time.

To be honest I am happy I passed the test. I thought I did better but I am happy to know I passed.

My original plans were to take the test and forget all about the job and let it be a surprise when they call me in a year.

9. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

I am still steamed that I missed ICE's special agent recruitment in June! I was out sick from work the day that the opening was posted, and I had no internet at home. By the time I checked the page again, they were no longer letting people apply. Not sure what my chances would have been, but I would have loved to apply. Maybe next time.

10. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

I anticipate another recruitment event in January or thereabouts...in the meantime, you may want to check career fairs. We had a "pep rally" type meeting just Friday and TPTB are looking for people to volunteer to go to colleges and career fairs in the fall. It would be a great place to shake some hands and get business cards. But since it's also the end of the FY, it's anyone's guess if there will be any OT money by that time...

11. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

Thanks, DNorth. ICE seems like a very busy agency and a good one to work for (I know a former agent who told me that they have almost as much jurisdiction as the FBI now).

12. JMody

JMody Special...

I don't care what kind of jurisdiction they have. I just want a job I will enjoy doing and from what I have heard about IEA's, that is it.

13. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

14. JMody

JMody Special...

Anyone have an idea about their BI process?
    I already have a Secret Security clearance.
    I know that's one of the main things they are trying to determine with the BI. Will it be as intensive? It isn't a big deal really, but it would make things move quicker.

15. TGT1898

TGT1898 MassCops Member

I went through the BI process once before. The rumors are true...they are very thorough. They will contact EVERYONE you list (even your parents/siblings). Then ask those people if there is anyone else they should contact.

I went through most of background process, with the exception of actually meeting with the BI. I had gotten hired by another agency while I was in the process and had to withdraw from the process because I wasn't able to complete the interview due to academy for that other agency (the interview was the last step in my process...for some reason my medical/physical, drug test and background were all scheduled prior to having an interview).

I know a few people that met with their BI. Just be prepared for a long day. They will go over the entire e-quip with you, identify discrepancies and allow you to explain any blemishes (credit report, criminal record, driving record, drug usage etc.). From what I've heard, most importantly, be professional, common sense I know...haha, good luck!

16. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Sure, what specifically do you want to know?

From what agency? DHS BIs are only honored within DHS. I had an Army TS clearance that expired two years before I was hired by ICE, however I still had to go through the whole BI. The investigator did remark that having such a recent one done may have shaved off a week from my process, but DHS could not honor it as if it was their own.

Intensive is an understatement, if it's anything like the 1811 BI I went through. Trust me, they will find people you've associated with in the past, whether you like it or not....;)

17. uspresident1

Well said North. The BI is a horror show, in a good way I guess. Very very in depth and it takes a long time, but like I said it's a good thing. My investigator came to my old job at 6am to meet my boss. He met will all my friends and references at their house or workplace to make sure I wasn't a loony toon. Anyway...good luck!

18. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Yeah, I have a similar story. A friend of mine who is with USSS warned me that the BI investigator may try to take me by surprise. Sure enough, at 1900 on a Saturday, I was out at dinner with my girlfriend when my cell phone rang with a number I didn't recognize. I was told (not asked) to have myself, my Chief, my supervising Sergeant, my personnel records, and the names/contact info of everyone I could think of, at 0800 sharp Monday morning at the department I worked at. He already had the address and directions. Thus began a FUN-filled week that I'll never forget!

Oh, that's not the best part...the investigator didn't care that I was a packrat and I kept virtually every scrap of paper ever handed to me since I had enlisted in the Army/Guard 12 years prior. He personally went to Milford and met with whomever he was able to locate from the S1 shop, and examined my actual 201 file himself. I owed a few people some big favors after that little episode!

19. JMody

JMody Special...

I am not actually in the process. I was just wondering about it and figured this would be the place to get some good feedback.
    Naturally you all have not failed me.
    I am sure that they will talk to everyone I know and have known and I am not really too worried about it.
    The only one I am actually concerned with is my son's mother. She mixed way too much draino with her fruit punch when younger and isn't all that big a fan of me. (read: I left after she had my son cause she was psycho) I pay my child support on time and see my son on weekends but she still has a voice to use against me.

I am looking forward to the process. Only blemish I have is minor credit issues from 10 years ago that was fixed, one driving REVO/INSC which was taken care of the next day. That's it!

20. TGT1898

TGT1898 MassCops Member

FYI...there is a new announcement for the IEA position on USAJobs. All locations are listed as "few vacancies", seems as though hiring will be thin for the remainder of the year.

Also received a letter saying there are no projected vacancies in the Atlanta Field Office (even though it was a "critical need" field office a few months ago) and basically not to expect to advance in the process. I think I remember someone else saying they Geo-ed Atlanta FO also...

21. uspresident1

Typical of the gov. 4 months ago it was on the hire list and now it's not. I'm sure Louisana still is along with the border states.

22. jmestano

jmestano MassCops Member

I have no problem with a thorough BI. I am sure the investigators know that sometimes the people the candidates interacted with in the past may have beef.

Still, with my mid-70s score and my choice of Boston as a location, I am not sure I will make it to that point!

23. RCS

RCS MassCops Member

Hey all,

Passing is the name of the game with these tests, it's not like the civil service test where you need a 99 or 100. I had a classmate at FLETC that scored a 78 with Boston and got a phone call to proceed further in the process. He declined as he likes where he is. Keep your head up, and congrats on passing.

Feel free to PM me with questions about anything..

24. pba05001

pba05001 MassCops Member

Just an FYI. I took the IEA test a few months ago and I believe my rating was an 82. I got a Tentative offer in the mail the other day. I had put in for Phoenix office.

25. JMody

JMody Special...

I knew I should have Picked Phoenix.........