ICE hiring? | Page 2 | MassCops

ICE hiring?

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by L4G81, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Mike7913

Mike7913 New Member

DNorth, what is your job title? And goodluck with the rest of your career in Fed LE.

2. JMody

JMody Special...

DNorth, Thanks for all the extremely useful information on the process and job. I for one appreciate it a ton.

I just took the test and received the email stating I passed. I haven't received my letter with my score though.

Glad to hear you enjoy the job. Hopefully in the next couple of years, some of us here will be enjoying it by your side.

What do you carry for a sidearm and what is the vehicle situation? Are you given a vehicle to drive just when you are on duty or do you get a take home vehicle? I am assuming the position requires a lot of driving for investigations and the like.

3. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Congrats on passing the test! Almost everything seems to be done by email lately from what I hear; I am surprised there is no score listed.

Sharpen your interviewing skills, make sure you have a nice suit that fits you properly, make friends and employers aware of the possible upcoming BI storm, and hang on for the ride of your life!

I do not know what we are allowed to say publicly regarding equipment, but our issue sidearm is now the Sig P229, I know that's not hush-hush as it was controversial. Some folks up here get a takehome vehicle, it depends on several factors; often the newer people get hand-me-downs that are not terribly glamorous. When I was in North Carolina, takehome cars seemed to be much more prevalent.

Don't put the cart before the horse....get the job first before you start worrying about weapons and vehicles!

4. JMody

JMody Special...

I'm not anywhere near getting my hopes up yet. Just happy I passed the test you know. When we were at the test they told us the scores would be mailed to us within 4-6 weeks so I still have sometime to find out.

I should be all set with my suit, am always trying to tone my interview skills although it is hard when I have a great job. ;)

How was the BI? Who do they talk to? What kind of stuff are they looking for?

I think I actually remember something about that now regarding the Sig's. Very nice weapon. I used to own one myself. Loved it.

I am far from worrying about the weapons and vehicles. More just curious. Wondering how things work for IEA's. More information I can get from a current IEA the better I guess I would feel if by some miracle of the gods I got an offer.

5. onetime

onetime MassCops Member

Congrats to everyone passing the test...those who did I mean. One thing that I always get a kick out of on this board are the off the wall questions people ask regarding the weapons people carry, the cars they drive, etc etc... and without fail the disclaimer is always put in.."oh I'm just curious," or, "oh I heard that..." quite frankly who really cares what type of weapon you will be issued if you ever get on the job? I understand that not everyone is exposed to these things before they come into law enforcement, but if those curiousities are so great that you are asking employees of the agencies you are applying about them, as opposed to other, more pertinent questions like, morale, job functions, required travel, promotion potential, etc etc... then maybe you are looking into law enforcement for the wrong reasons. Remember, it is not just about carrying cool guns, and driving flashy cars, it's about protecting people. I guess that's really all I have to say. I am sorry for being a dick, it's just a little annoying to me when I read posts like that. Almost as annoying as the fact that I allow myself to read them, knowing how annoyed I get. I guess they're kind of like train wrecks; I just can't look away!!

6. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

onetime-- Ha, you said what was on my mind, but I chose to bite my tongue!

Worry about getting the job first, then about your options once hired, then finally during training when a million new things are being crammed into your brain, maybe when decide to worry about equipment and vehicles!

The BI is like none you have ever had before, and I am saying that knowing what I know now, not just from what I went through. I believe most people do not make it due to omission; tell everything that you think may be relevant, especially any/all times you may have screwed up in life, whether it be getting disciplined once at work, or getting a single speeding citation. If you smoked marijuana once 20 years ago in high school, admit it, because trust me, they will probably find out through other people anyhow. Expect them to uncover people from your past that you have not spoken to or had contact with for years, people whose names you never even provide, and pray that those people have not turned into criminals. If you have any remote, even tenuous connection, to anyone whom you would think of as "shady" or whom has problems with the law, then admit it during the investigation. However if you still associate with that person or have during the recent past, then it's time to decide not to waste your time going furthur into the application process. You will only make yourself look like an ass if you try to hide anything, not to mention ruin your chances of getting on the job.

Once you get a Conditional Offer of Employment (or at least that's what they called it for me), which I believe was after all of the interviews were done and definitely before the BI, that is the time to prepare people for the BI. Expect the investigator to need to talk to most people whom you have associated with during the last ten years of your life (it used to be seven but when I did this in 2006-2007, it was up to ten). Employers, co-workers, neighbors, landlords, friends, family, etc. Expect that for every person you know they are contacting, there are three more that you have no idea about and can not imagine ;) But it helps to do your homework ahead of time and have contact info for everyone and keep it on hand when you finally meet with the investigator. I embarrassed myself a bit during my BI when I could not reach my MAARNG Company Commander at the time that the investigator wanted to speak to him, and I did not have the phone numbers for any other Officers with me at the time. That could have easily been prevented but I just did not know what to expect and how insistant the investigator would be about speaking to the brass from my unit.

7. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

There is a pretty good forum on delphi about IEA's if your looking for more information. You should be receiving your score soon. Just get ready for a long drawn out process. If you get as far as the interview just USE COMMON SENSE.

8. DoD102

DoD102 MassCops Member

Still can't seem to even get a thanks but no thanks response..??

9. JMody

JMody Special...

Point taken. I agree with everything you said and those are the questions I should be asking but to be honest I would be happy to have a job in the federal sector. I will go to the worst shithole they have if it meant I would get the job. No need to apologize for being a dick as I didn't take it in that manner. I have been reading a lot about IEA's on several different forums and the like so I Kinda have an idea formed in my head with the other questions as well. Thanks for the input though. It is always appreciated.

When you say "tell everything that you know now", where would I tell that? Obviously since I passed the exam I am expecting a volume of books I need to fill out that they consider an application. Would that be the place or do you mean when I am speaking to a person?

I will start getting a list of people I know together with their addresses and telephone numbers and all that stuff. That is a lot of info they look into huh? It is good to know that they do a thorough BI though. Makes me want to work their even more.

Again, I can't thank you enough for all the awesome information you are providing. I am sure others that come along will appreciate it as much as I do!

I am hoping it comes sooner rather than later. I am happy to see that I passed the test I just can't wait to see how good/bad I did. I will have to google your first sentence to figure out what your talking about. Bring the process on. If it takes 2 years, I will still be happy that I am in the process.

What do you mean?

10. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

DoD-- you mean you have heard absolutely nothing from Dallas? It is OK to call, don't worry, I had to call myself once...and it was a good thing I did, because a paper of mine was on the desk of a person who was on vacation, and could have held up the process for me.