ICE hiring? | MassCops

ICE hiring?

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by L4G81, Feb 5, 2009.

1. L4G81

L4G81 MassCops Member

A friend of mine was asking me if there are any online application sites for ICE....anyone know? Are they even recruiting at this point (with the economy, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

2. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

I work for ICE; what positions are you interested in?

There are some entry-level openings I posted here on the Federal Jobs forum recently. There are many, many more openings in other areas of the country.

Rumor has it that Special Agent open recruitment may begin in a month or two.

3. L4G81

L4G81 MassCops Member

Boston /MA/ RI areas, entry level. Let me know if you hear of any! Thanks.

4. FordMustang

FordMustang MassCops Member

I'm also very interested for any openings in the New England area. Just moved back up here and have prior Police Experience.

5. WaterPistola

WaterPistola Subscribing Member

go figure, ICE is not in a hiring freeze

6. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Usajobs.com is your friend.

Also Avue Services (avueservices.com I believe).

The jobs are out there, but this is the Federal world and you should expect to have to relocate to get your foot in the door.

"The needs of the service" will become a very, very familiar phrase to you, should you get into the agency. It describes how you will be shot around like a pinball for your first year or so. Different schedules, classes at the last minute, meetings, etc. Not to mention possible residence relocation...

7. new guy

new guy Subscribing Member

Nicely done.

8. DoD102

DoD102 MassCops Member

Thanks as well. I've been trying for years to transfer over to ICE. Can't seem to get my foot in the door.

9. irsagt

irsagt New Member

You can go to usajobs.com and view postings for ICE and other Fed. agencies. You can apply for postions through the website.

10. Irishpride

Irishpride Subscribing Member

ICE is recruiting for Immigration Enforcement Agents on the USAJOBS site

11. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Yeah, we are always looking for IEAs. The more cities you are willing to consider, the higher your chances. Chicago, Detroit, and Portland,OR, are hiring a ton from what I hear.

Although I would advise anyone who enters federal LE to have heaps and heaps of patience anyhow, please bear in mind that right now there is a backlog of about six months on IEA hiring. People who responded to the October annoucement are getting their initial "are you still interested in the postion" phone calls right now. If you responded to a later annoucement, be patient, but also apply to any new ones that come out. A friend of mine is going through the IEA process and he was not prepared for the waiting, so I just want to stress that here.

12. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Heh heh, believe it or not some people never learn...

All things aside, you would be amazed how many qualified applicants we lose simply because they do not have the patience to wait. Typically something like this: Joe X gets disenchanted with his local PD, realizes he has a degree and experience to get a job and be happier elsewhere, applies to a bazillion agencies, and says "yes" to the first one that makes an offer or has the nicest geographic location. As Joe is packing up to move, he gets the call from ICE, and politely turns down any furthur application progress.

PS-- That's my story, except I was wise enough to turn down other state/local agencies and wait for the federal call!

13. TGT1898

TGT1898 MassCops Member

Call me Joe X...except the agency was CBP and position CBPO...but with the way things were going with the economy I needed to take the sure thing at the time. I re-applied for IEA...they allowed me to use the test score I received almost 2 years ago??? I found that a bit odd, I figured I'd need to re-test...no complaints though.

In the registration process they separate the critical need locations from the others, so you know where you should apply. There was a pretty good spread through out the country for critical need locations. More than I saw with CBP or BP.

14. VTTrooper

VTTrooper New Member

How is the OT in this position. What is the earning potential? Do they LEAP Pay? Can you tell me anymore about this position besides what is on the USA JOBS site. Thanks

15. uspresident1

uspresident1 MassCops Member

You don't get LEAP (Only 1811's and FAMS get LEAP) you get AUO (Admin Uncontrollable Overtime). You have to average 50 hours a week and you receive a 25% bump in salary. It's basically the governments way of having you work overtime for time and a quarter instead of time and a half. The good thing is that it's guaranteed to be there. For the position itself it varies at each office. So make sure you look into the office you are going to before you select it. The best way to describe it is being a U.S Marshall for ICE minus the witness protection and courthouse security.

16. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Roger that POTUS1, as a friend of mine recently found out with the 1801/1802 support jobs...just because the series begins with the numbers 18 and has the words "Law Enforcement" in the title, do not mean it is a LEAP position!

Lot of phone calls within the last week or so for IEA positions, many people have their test dates...

17. TGT1898

TGT1898 MassCops Member

You could consider more than one city? The way the announcement was worded I was under the impression you could only choose one...

18. multicam

multicam MassCops Member

I just got an email saying I passed the ICE exam. Now, I gotta fax a resume, etc. to them. Should I get my hopes up?

19. TGT1898

TGT1898 MassCops Member

Not yet...this is just to remain eligible in their process...once they have vacancies for the geographic location you chose they will forward you a tentative offer with a weeks worth of paperwork to fill out and get back to them in a given time frame. From there you do the medical, interview, drug test, physical and background investigation. Even after all that is completed you are in limbo with the scheduling unit waiting to be slated for EOD and FLETC...

I also received that email yesterday...we have a lot of waiting left to do

20. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Yeah, talk about "hurry up and wait" after the BI phase...I was told that I should hear something in 6 to 8 weeks (I had a clearance in the past that just needed updating). 10 weeks came and went, I called Dallas and the lady said she knew my packet was done and she'd call me back. Not an hour later she called back, congratulated me, and gave me a date that was two weeks away! Yikes! Had to make sure I didn't burn any bridges on my way out of town with that! I am told that is not unusual, so be warned, have all of your ducks in a row and be ready to leave on short notice when the time comes....

21. L4G81

L4G81 MassCops Member

Congrats!! Keep us posted!

22. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Thanks...that was back in '07, I've been on the job a little over two years now...

23. L4G81

L4G81 MassCops Member

NICE. How do you like it?

24. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Wow, thanks for asking such a simple question! I get bombarded with emails asking complicated questions about the hiring process or the job, so it is a breath of fresh air to be able to simply say a few words here.

I love it, but it isn't for everyone. It quickly becomes obvious why the federal world places so much more emphasis on psychological testing compared to municipal LE work. We deal with some unspeakably heinous crimes against persons, among other scenarios. I came onto this job being an Army vet and working about seven years on a suburban town PD, and naively thinking that I had seen it all...boy was I wrong!

We are treated fairly, my direct supervisor and his supervisor are great, however once the brass above that level is discussed...no comment. Plenty of overtime always available, all the travel you could ever dream of and then some, opportunities to take very interesting classes, etc. Though I do not plan to leave, some of my co-workers say the best thing about this job is that you can basically lateral anywhere within DHS without much difficulty. It's not as easy as it may sound, but once you are in DHS, it is a breeze compared to getting hired from outside. We tend to attract a lot of people from FPS and CBP, while we lose them to USSS.

25. L4G81

L4G81 MassCops Member

Hey, what can I say, I'm not high maintenance. ;) I'm sure you get bombarded all the time so asking a simple question gives you the opportunity to say what you'd like.

Thanks for the response...sounds like a good gig. My exam date is next month.