Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to share my funny event I had today at the Court House....

John Doe walks into the court house....

Myself: Good morning, I need anything metal out of your pockets.

J. Doe: Can I ask you a question before I come in?

Myself: Sure

J. Doe: I want to appeal a citation I got a couple of days ago.

Myself: Alright, you have to mail it into the registry, the court will not accept it.

J.Doe: I lost it.

Myself: Alright, which department stopped you?

J. Doe: I'm not sure.

Myself: Alright which town were you in, when you were stopped?

J.Doe: Auburn

Myself: This courts jurisdiction does not cover Auburn, do know if it appeared to be a local officer, or was it a trooper?

J.Doe: I'm not sure, but HE WASN'T WEARING HIS HAT! (He was very excited when he said this)

Myself: Whats his hat have to do with whether or not he was a trooper or a local?

J.Doe: *Puzzled look on his face* I was just saying....you know....

Myself: Well sir, my advice would be to contact either the Auburn Police or the Millbury State Police barracks to see if they have your citation on file.

J.Doe: Awsome, thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure where the "Hat" rumor came from, but the fact that I dealt with it in person today made me laugh....

Can someone give the origins of the "hat" rumor?

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I believe it originated from a newbie or troll that asked the question " If the Officer that pulled him over did not have his hat on could he appeal and win the ticket on that basis " since then its kind of turned into an ongoing joke...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I never heard of the hat rumor until I came on here. I heard through out High School the parking light rumor. If the police cruiser is blacked out, then the stop is not valid.

·
Working in the land of misfit toys
1,986 Posts
A newbie definately brought it up saying something along the lines of if he didn't have his hat on then he was not in full uniform, thus the ticket is void.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just thought it was funny that the kid mentioned it to me.....Could be nothing, probably is nothing if the rumor is strictly spawned from Masscops

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
Well sir, my advice would be to contact either the Auburn Police or the Millbury State Police barracks to see if they have your citation on file.
Just FYI, 2 different MSP barracks cover roads in Auburn, and Millbury isn't one of them. He should call the RMV, they usually have the citation entered into their system about a month after it was written.

Still a funny story, though...

·
Maddy B's grammy
2,017 Posts
I never heard the "hat rumor" until I read it here, but I have heard of the "parking light" rumor before. Funny story though Foxy.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
Just outof curiousity, which barracks cover Auburn?
3 highways pass through Auburn. I-290, SP Holden. I-395, SP Sturbridge. I-90, SP Charlton. But it could have been someone passing through on their commute, on a detail, going to court, etc.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
I've heard about the hat rumor long before I read it here. I've heard about the "parking lights" rumor. I've heard of the "can't ticket if the officer caught the driver speeding while the officer was driving" rumor. I've heard of the rumor that if an officer is doing radar on a town line and a speeding car goes into the next town, the officer can't pursue that vehicle into the next town. I doubt I've heard them all but I've heard quite a bit of rumors for years now from douchebag kids that are always trying to find ways to beat the system.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
I've heard about the "parking lights" rumor.
In some states, it's not law, but department policy to have lights on while sitting at night, no hiding behind billboards, fully-marked cruisers, etc.

·
1,334 Posts
In some states, it's not law, but department policy to have lights on while sitting at night, no hiding behind billboards, fully-marked cruisers, etc.
That is some forward thinking policy. Take away an advantage mother nature gives us, nighttime. If they are doing a search outside to they have to announce their presence too? Maybe a sign board saying "officer on radar ahead." Who cares about the element of surprise. :confused:

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
That is some forward thinking policy. Take away an advantage mother nature gives us, nighttime. If they are doing a search outside to they have to announce their presence too? Maybe a sign board saying "officer on radar ahead." Who cares about the element of surprise. :confused:
I've been fortunate to attend interdiction training by an officer from another state patrol, and he discussed their situation with the department. They were swept up with other states regarding profiling, etc. But he said when the courts or dept policy dictate something negative to your work, you turn it into lemonade in your reports and testimony.

"Your honor, I was sitting in plain view, in a fully marked patrol vehicle with all my lights on. I don't think you could miss the fact that I was conducting traffic enforcement..."

Something to consider if you want to be good at this stuff, and not just be a ticket machine.

·
1,334 Posts
I want to share my funny event I had today at the Court House....

John Doe walks into the court house....

Myself: Alright which town were you in, when you were stopped?

J.Doe: Auburn

Myself: This courts jurisdiction does not cover Auburn, do know if it appeared to be a local officer, or was it a trooper?

Not to nitpick, but Worcester District Court covers Auburn, Millbury, and Worcester. Used to be more but things got spread out a back about 7 or 8 years ago and a bunch of towns moved to other district courts.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts