I-Team: Thousands Of Mass. Drivers Duped By Odometer Rollback | MassCops

I-Team: Thousands Of Mass. Drivers Duped By Odometer Rollback

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by kwflatbed, Oct 30, 2015.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

BOSTON (CBS) – New electronic devices are making odometer fraud easier than ever and the I-Team found thousands of unsuspecting buyers in Massachusetts are walking right into that trap.

That is exactly what happened when Morgan Andrews bought a car[​IMG] to commute from her home in Plymouth to classes at Bridgewater State College. She looked seriously at 10 different cars and had her heart set on a 2010 Ford Escape.

“It would be good in the snow,” she recalled thinking about the small SUV before she bought it.

She really liked the way it looked and the way it felt when she was driving it. Her father was thinking more practically.

“The biggest thing was low miles,” he said.

The Ford had 47,000 miles and both Morgan and her dad thought it was a good deal. But the I-Team learned it wasn’t such a great deal[​IMG] after all.

We showed Morgan and her dad service records that reveal the odometer on Morgan’s car jumped from 65,707 miles back to 47,049 a few months before she bought the car, a difference of more than 18,000 miles.

“Wow,” her dad said. “That’s fraud.”

I-Team: Thousands Of Mass. Drivers Duped By Odometer Rollback

2. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Didn't ol' Ernie Boch get caught doing that back in the day?

Apologies if I'm remembering the wrong name!!

3. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Oldest trick in the book. I know a guy that did time for this, back before carfax was popular.

I know ernie got jammed up for advertising issues at one point.

4. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Ten years ago (back when I was too honest for my own sanity), I worried that I was committing odometer fraud by sending my instrument cluster out to get repaired and driving my car for a few days with a spare cluster.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015