Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received the conditional offer of employment from the DOC. However due to personal reasons, I cannot accept the position. How do I turn it down without burning any bridges?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Yes you can. Say "Due to personal reasons I am unable to accept this conditional offer of employment"...They'll understand, they're human.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
ProudAm that sucks dude!! I hope all works out well for you.
Shoot an e-mail off to GK, JGH, or Bossman as backup to your post.
I'm sure they can offer the best advice for this particular situation.
(I'd be curious to see if you can defer an academy similar to that of the MSP.)
Good Luck Pal...

·
Registered
14 Posts
:beer:Dude, You are not burning any bridges with the DOC. They are far too concerned with other things like making sure that humanity's worst are living comfortably and out of harm's way. DO NOT TAKE this job as a stepping stone. You will become extremely miserable and it will make it harder for you to be a professional in police work later on. Just think about the most negative atmosphere you've ever been in and times it by ten, and thats not including the inmates.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wheelofmisfortune said:
:beer:Dude, You are not burning any bridges with the DOC. They are far too concerned with other things like making sure that humanity's worst are living comfortably and out of harm's way. DO NOT TAKE this job as a stepping stone. You will become extremely miserable and it will make it harder for you to be a professional in police work later on. Just think about the most negative atmosphere you've ever been in and times it by ten, and thats not including the inmates.
You're right, I tried taking this job as a stepping stone to becoming a police officer. I don't really care much for that proffession, I saw it as something to hold me over until a police job came along. I cannot accept the job under these conditions.

It's not fair to the DOC or the countless others that would truly love a shot at being a CO. I'll leave the spot for someone who trully deserves it. Kozmo, I truly hope...well...Kozmo I KNOW you will get on. You deserve it a lot more than someone like me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ProudAmerican said:
I have received the conditional offer of employment from the DOC. However due to personal reasons, I cannot accept the position. How do I turn it down without burning any bridges?
Call the HR office and ask the question.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
wheelofmisfortune said:
They are not human and they just don't care
Fair enough, but it'd be easier on them to tell them that you're passing up the job...paperwork wise, that's one folder then can put away and not have to worry about anymore.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
ProudAm - I know I would have enjoyed working with you buddy, and remember if you change your mind; theres enough room in the boat for us all..
Good Luck with your quest to be a cop; you'll do fine. :thumbup:

Wheel - you sound (vaguely) like your speaking from experience.
If so, shoot me a PM, I wouldnt mind getting your perspective on the job.
TGIF.. KK

Also, ProudAm - when you get a minute to spare, PM me what the selection process was like and how you found going through the testing experience. Thanks...

·
Registered
14 Posts
ProudAmerican said:
Did they give you at least two weeks to inform to accept the position? I hear people aren't taking the job because they won't screw employers over by not giving adequate notice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try asking for a deferment to the next class due to personal reasons. That way you will still be on the current list. And if things change, you still have the option.

A footnote: I don't think it would be a bad stepping stone into LE. I have worked with a lot of great people that have left over the years to different departments, Local and State Police, FBI, US Marshalls and I see a lot of great people that will leave in the years to come. I started this job 7 yrs ago in hopes to leaving myself. My age and the fact that I'm color blind will keep me in the DOC for my career. I don't regret it and I don't let it bring me down. Yes at times it could be a shitty place to work. But the people I work with are great. I do it and I keep my head held high. Not everyone that wants to be, will be a Police Officer in Mass.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Gate - you are absolutely correct. The competition to become a cop in Mass may be the highest of any other state in the union. Thus, any credentials you can bring to the table are a plus. I believe that being a Correctional Officer for the State would (all other qualities being equal) certainly give you an advantage.

Too bad about your vision buddy, I believe you would make a great cop... Stay safe, KK

·
Subscribing Member
211 Posts
GateKeeper said:
Try asking for a deferment to the next class due to personal reasons. That way you will still be on the current list. And if things change, you still have the option.

A footnote: I don't think it would be a bad stepping stone into LE. I have worked with a lot of great people that have left over the years to different departments, Local and State Police, FBI, US Marshalls and I see a lot of great people that will leave in the years to come. I started this job 7 yrs ago in hopes to leaving myself. My age and the fact that I'm color blind will keep me in the DOC for my career. I don't regret it and I don't let it bring me down. Yes at times it could be a shitty place to work. But the people I work with are great. I do it and I keep my head held high. Not everyone that wants to be, will be a Police Officer in Mass.
I was a CO in the DOC for over 5 years.I am now in Week 11 (of 23 weeks) in the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Academy (Las Vegas,Nevada) and loving it.I can honestly say my experience and training in the DOC has given me a big advantage so far in this academy.It is a good "stepping stone".There are a lot of great people in the DOC despite the negativity of the cons and the administration.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry Grunt, I failed to mention other great people leaving this State all together for other police departments in this great Country. I remember you from SBCC and I hope everything is going good for you out there in sin city. Ahh the fun times I've had out there...best left for another forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.