I moved south to get away from this! | MassCops

I moved south to get away from this!

Discussion in 'Humor' started by USM C-2, Jan 28, 2014.

1. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Obviously the standards for a Winter Storm Warning are a bit... looser down here. Expected accumulations of 2-4". Schools are closed, businesses are closed... Banks, restaurants, etc.

The city has a long straight downgrade on Highway 49 heading south into the city. It's starting to ice over but traffic is still running 60+.

[​IMG]

visible25, Mr Scribbles, Hush and 2 others like this.
  2. Rock

Rock Undefined

Temp?

3. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Hell, no... Full time!

Oh, right. Last night it was in the mid-30's and went south from there. Started raining and by first light it was dropping into the high 20-'s. The rains didn't start to freeze until mid-morning. Daytime high was whatever it was at midnight, just kept dropping all day. Teens tonight. All this crap is gonna freeze solid. Tomorrow afternoon it'll climb above freezing.

[​IMG]

My commute home... The lovely village of Oak Grove, Mississippi.

[​IMG]

The Casa.

[​IMG]

Oh, how I haven't missed grey crappy slush accumulating in my wheel wells.

The city has a curfew. Most roads are untreated. In a few spots they have sprayed brine or shoveled sand, which works about as well as you would think. No pre-treating, no sanders with salt/sand mixture.

On the good side, most folks are staying home, most places are closed, and most motorists are driving with white-knuckled death grips and expressions of unadulterated terror.

Most.

4. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

With that tiny little sprinkling of snow? That amount doesn't even get snow broomed off my truck... Gotta show 'em how it's done man, drift around a couple corners like the Duke brothers...

5. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

It turned out to be less snow and more ice... there's a white covering, but it's about 1/4" snow frozen onto the ice layer beneath. Most everythings frozen.

6. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

wouldn't even break out the scraper for that stuff. couple squirts of washer fluid, hit the wipers and go ;)

7. Dan Stark

Dan Stark Tears of a Clown

Amateurs

militia_man likes this.
  8. GoArmy14

GoArmy14 MassCops Member

I'm stationed in Virginia right now and people literally don't know what to do when it snows. They close everything before the predicted snow even starts. The college my wife works at closed for three days and I could still see the grass in my front yard the whole time. We had a dusting this morning and the whole post was put on a 2 hour delay.

9. FTH

FTH MassCops Member

10. Herrdoktor

Herrdoktor MassCops Member

Some schools were closed today after this dusting :confused:

Were you down here 3 years ago when we got slammed with 3+ feet in a few days? Even by New England standards it was bad. Entire roadways were simply forgotten/not plowed for days on end.

Virginia + snow = shitshow

11. GoArmy14

GoArmy14 MassCops Member

Thankfully I dodged that mess. I can't believe schools closed for today...people didn't even have to clean their cars off. Virginia drivers seem to be terrible already then throw snow in the mix and...wow. I don't envy you on a day like today.

12. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

How Georgia handles snow storms! LOL
    [​IMG]

13. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

[​IMG]
    BRUTAL STORM strands hundreds of students at schools across Alabama and Georgia as crews race to rescue motorists forced to abandon their cars on icy roads, and causes at least seven weather-related deaths.

14. Herrdoktor

If anyone reading this would love to experience patrolling in a state that is incapable of plowing a snow covered road or live with a population of people who are terrified their children will explode on their way to school after a dusting apply today!

https://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/police/Pages/Apply-Today.aspx

frank, pahapoika and GoArmy14 like this.
  15. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

It took me a solid hour to drive the ten miles to work this morning. Average speed (I'll do the math for you) was 10 mph. Slower on a few long downgrades. The entire way in was a solid sheet of ice. With last nights tire treads still imprinted in it.

It wasn't too bad, except for the few morons who were going 30 or so. A forgiving God kept them out of the ditches so I didn't have anyone to laugh at as I drove by.

It finally hit the upper 20's about 1100 and the asphalt roads started to melt pretty good, except under the trees. Sidewalks are concrete, as are the stairs and they haven't changed much.

The city is finally calming down, the interstate had several bad wrecks, multiple tractor trailers overturned, etc. they opened it up around noon after the finished spreading sand... By front end loader... On the ramps.

Give us ONE sander and a load of rock salt, and this place never would have had to close. Except everyone who lives off campus never could have got here.

16. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Today was in the mid 60's. I was riding around with my windows open thinking I shoulda worn short sleeves.

Now I remember why I moved down here!

hunter025 likes this.
  17. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

What is this stuff you guys are talking about. I played golf yesterday and had to mow my lawn today.

18. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

People were "stranded" and legit had to sleep in a fucking supermarket:

[​IMG]

19. FourInchFury

FourInchFury MassCops Member

^ Mobility scooter in the background... gotta be WalMart!

20. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

I actually think it was a Publix - they opened all their stores to assist

21. Herrdoktor

22. visible25

visible25 MassCops Member

Dear god it looks like the apocalypse! I mean, I understand how it's your first time and everything but wow talk about not being prepared!

ps. Isn't the National Weather Service LOCATED in Alabama? (or Georgia)

23. soxrock75

soxrock75 BOOM!

Or.........
    [​IMG]

FourInchFury and frank like this.