Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's true. After 9 years, I resigned from BPD about two weeks ago, to take a job with the MSPCA Law Enforcement division.

MSPCA Police Officers are SSPO's and their powers I beleve are outlined by statute, as well as statutory rights of inspection. My question is, do SSPO's have any common law rights of arrest, like in presence breach of the peace? I have no knowledge of what their authority is outside their assigned areas, and seeing as we actually have no campus or property to patrol, I'm curious as to what else I would be able to do should the situation arise.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Re: I just left Boston PD, and all I got was this lousy t-sh

SSPO powers are very restricted look at the MGL in which your authority as a SSPO comes from. An example is MGL 22c Sec 63 gives you the right of arrest on lands owned used or occupied by a college or hospital. I don't believe MSPCA is 22c. sec 63

·
Registered
186 Posts

It's true. After 9 years, I resigned from BPD about two weeks ago, to take a job with the MSPCA Law Enforcement division.

MSPCA Police Officers are SSPO's and their powers I beleve are outlined by statute, as well as statutory rights of inspection. My question is, do SSPO's have any common law rights of arrest, like in presence breach of the peace? I have no knowledge of what their authority is outside their assigned areas, and seeing as we actually have no campus or property to patrol, I'm curious as to what else I would be able to do should the situation arise.
Are you saying that you resigned as a Boston Police Officer to become a MSPCA Officer? Or were you employed by the city in a non law enforcement job? or were you a Rule 400 Special?

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts

:shock: I don't have the slightest idea why in the world you would have done that, but I guess your reasons are your own... not that the MSPCA is a bad gig, but... ?

I would guess it depends on what the department's preferred response is and what they want you to enforce. I would just ask the dept. head about that. Some departments prefer that you not take matters into your own hands even if the rule book says you can, as ridiculous as that sounds. :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts

ecpd402 @ 07 Aug 2004 21:17 said:
SSPO powers are very restricted look at the MGL in which your authority as a SSPO comes from. An example is MGL 22c Sec 63 gives you the right of arrest on lands owned used or occupied by a college or hospital. I don't believe MSPCA is 22c. sec 63
MSPCA falls under MGL 22C sec 57.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts

Ive been trying to figure out the secret to getting that job. What was the key factor? full time academy? degree? animal experience?

·
Subscribing Member
1,169 Posts

Left Boston PD? The cream of law enforcement jobs in the Commonwealth? Oh man, say it isn't so!

·
Subscribing Member
3,231 Posts

I wish you the best of luck with your new career!!

Stay safe!!

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ecpd402 @ Sat 07 Aug said:
Specifically 22c 57. We are also authorized to inspect under ch129.

·
Registered
968 Posts

I'd give a non vital organ to be on BPD, you crazy!!!! Oh well, good luck and be safe.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts

I just read the post but I can't bring myself to get past this line.....

quality617 @ 8/7/2004 3:32:00 PM said:
:shock: :?: :? :?: :roll: :?:

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yes, a full time Boston Cop. Several factors were involved with leaving. Residency and politics were amoung the top three.

I also see our duties are outlined within 22c 57, where we can go anywhere in the commonwealth as police officers and constables to enforce the animal cruelty laws. There are very few, the mainstay being 272/77, as well as ch129.

My authority as a BPO was well defined, but as a SSPO, I'm a little fuzzy. I guess what I'm really asking is what am I able to do beyond 22c/57 should the situation arise, because by strict reading of the statute, I could lock someone up for kicking a dog in my presence, but couldn't touch that same person for AB on me. I know sherriffs have powers of arrest under common law as peace officers for incidents amounting to breach of the peace, I'm just curious if SSPO's by statute or case law have such powers, or anything beyond 22c/57.

And the kind comments of encouragement were much appreciated!

·
Registered
186 Posts

Too bad about taking a pay cut of about half and no longer having any details which must be a loss of approximately $50,000 or more. But love of animals does have its rewards also.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I hope things work out for you man after nine years just getting up and leaving some of us wait our whole career to get on Boston But good luck and stay safe !!!!

·
Subscribing Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Gil @ Sat 07 Aug said:
I just read the post but I can't bring myself to get past this line.....

quality617 @ 8/7/2004 3:32:00 PM said:
:shock: :?: :? :?: :roll: :?:
Heh....

I know. My career stated with 4 yrs in the South End/Back Bay/Lower Roxbury working nights. I was in love. I then for some as yet unexplained reason got transferred to HQ as a dispatcher (and no, I had no IAD issues either) where I spent 3 years performing in a brilliant fashion and without complaint. When my division went civilian, we were suppose to go where we wanted. I wanted to go back to where I came from, but it never happened. Everone around me seemed to get their choice of assignment, but my requests were greeted with "Gee, we just can't afford to let anyone go right now."

I then spent two years as the roving security around the HQ building, where it was fantasized that I would somehow write parking tickets to officers and visitors in an effort to clean up the parking problem. All the while the civliians replacing me were making more money, and the other officers within the division were getting transferred out. So believe me, as of two weeks ago when the offer was made, I jumped on it.

And before you ask, no, I was not a poor performer whining about not getting my way.

Civil service gives me a 5 year window to reapply to the department, but I gotta tell you, so far I am loving this job.

Posted Sat 07 Aug, 2004:

MarkBoston @ Sat 07 Aug said:
Too bad about taking a pay cut of about half and no longer having any details which must be a loss of approximately $50,000 or more. But love of animals does have its rewards also.
I was never a big detail guy, anyway. I got a few things on the side anyway, that get me through. It was a pay cut, but the benefits put me close to par as far as where I was, so it's not all doom and gloom.

·
Registered
968 Posts

I guess the fact that you love it is all that really matters. Good luck.

P.S.
Gil,

Is Paddleboro hiring?

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts

When you love your job the best part of the day is not the ride home. good luck stay safe and welcome to the SSPO family :D

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts

quality617

Best of luck with your department change.

Southside @ 8/7/2004 8:03:51 PM said:
Gil,
Is Paddleboro hiring?
Yes we are, 7 in the MBTA academy now and the dept is in the process of doing backgrounds on 7 additional slots plus they have not hired for the two midnight dispatcher slots.

·
Czar of Cyncism and Satire
2,070 Posts

Q617,
Good luck my friend. Just too bad you can't use those BPD blues since the MSPCA does the "Wearin' O' The Green" for uniforms.

I can understand the change you made since Menino doesn't want his cops wandering off the reservation, so to speak. Maybe if he paid a bit better & fixed his school system and walled off certain sections of the city, it would be a liveable place.

Some people may say you made a bad move but it's all about the quality of life you live, not your job. Hopefully within a couple years, the dictatorship will crumble and residency will be thrown out and you may move anywhere you wish. Just keep looking at the clock because those 5 years will tick off fast.

I myself left the Boston Municipal Police after 6 years to escape residency and make an extra $100 / week. Now 8 years later, they make $80 / week more, have C. 31 CS status and residency till 1990 which I would have been grandfathered in. Hindsight is 20/20 and there should nobody on here Monday morning quarterbacking this decision you made. Unless they have walked a mile in your boots they don't know the real deal. Good $$ to be made on BPD but it's a tough job & you see the worst in people on a daily basis. Just my .02 cents

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.