Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved a card asking me to report to Cheryl Brannan Pers Dir Dept of Correction on or before June 24. It says they're looking to hire 100 officers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Everybody who passed gets that card. Ignore the "Employment Interview Notice" part. You are just going to be signing a list that says you are willing to accept employment with the DOC. No need to get dressed up or anything, no PATs, no interview, no background. You will recieve a packet that you don't need to fill out till you are in the next phase of the process. You just have to show up anytime between now and the 24th. Peace.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dogma20001";p="66810 said:
Everybody who passed gets that card. Ignore the "Employment Interview Notice" part. You are just going to be signing a list that says you are willing to accept employment with the DOC. No need to get dressed up or anything, no PATs, no interview, no background. You will recieve a packet that you don't need to fill out till you are in the next phase of the process. You just have to show up anytime between now and the 24th. Peace.
Really, every single person who took the exam gets a card? That is unlike the Police CS. They only send cards to those they're interested in hiring. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Basically, depending on what you scored, (this Junes class reached 89's), you have to go and sign that list every 6 months until you either get a letter from the DOC telling you you have been selected to go to the next phase(PAT, interview) or the next exam comes around (approx 1 year). If you recieved a letter saying Congrats, you have already passed a prelimanary background check and have about 2 weeks till the PAT-interview. Thats about it till you take the PAT.

G

·
ive gotten 3 cards from the DOC, i pass everytime, this was my third time getting it i might go through with it this time

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 cards, I take you're not really that interested in corrections. Do you think correction's a good segway to becoming LEO? The card also said they're looking to hire 100 is this before or after those they've already hired for the June class?

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
ProudAmerican";p="66876 said:
...Do you think correction's a good segue to becoming LEO?...
ProudAm - If I might make a slight amendment to your question;
A Corrections Officer is already a LEO. Not a police officer per se, but certainly a Law Enforcement Officer...
Did you mean a segue to becoming a PO? Just my :2c: KK

G

·
Im sure it looks great on a resume, also proving you can get hired through CS and are willing to deal with its BS. You are a lawenforcement officer it gives you a good perspective on criminals i believe, so yes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please, everyone, only take this job if you want it.

There is nothing wrong with doing this job for the experience to become a PO. You will learn a lot. You can pick out a scum bag a mile away.

The average time I've seen people starting this job and leaving it to become a PO is 7+ years. The one's that do this job thinking they will leave in a year or two turn out to be miserable and hate life.

I too wanted to be a Police Officer and always scored well on the CS test's. But with the budget crunch 4-5 years ago (when most dept's laid off or had hiring freezes) I found myself getting older. Now I'm to old. As with most CO's, most of us never started this job thinking we would end our career doing it.

But the facts are, trying to be a PO in this state is very hard to obtain. And you will be treated by some as second class LEO's or "guards".

I love most of the people I work with. And I trust them and can count on them. I have no regrets.

I'm not a PO, nor do I pretend to be.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
No doubt, and after waiting all that time to get yourself on a PD keep in mind you may have to take a substantial pay cut. I knew a Sgt. that turned down a Statie gig because he couldn't afford the 10K cut through the academy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
what should you wear when you go in to sign the form? should you dress as if it was a interview or just like you did for the test?

thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dress casual. All you are doing is signing your name and probably getting finger printed. And also receiving an application.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are trying to get to be a P.O. I say YES go for being a C.O., I worked at Souza for a year and then the word came for the SP academy, but I don't regret my decision to join DOC, I met a lot of good people and got some good experiences out of it, and I'm sure it didn't hurt my resume.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally returned the card today. I must says it wasn't anything like I expected. I asked the woman I reported to if it was true that everyone who passed got a card and she said yes.

However, veterans are put on top of the pile. She had me sign some form for my background investigation, and said I should be hearing something by third week of july indicating if I passed the BI check.

After a successful BI they will schedule a PAT. The oral boad interview will be given on the same day of the PAT. They plan on launching the next academy sometime in september. She also said they've been budgeted to hire 100 additional COs by early next year.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
ProudAmerican";p="67535 said:
...She also said they've been budgeted to hire 100 additional COs by early next year.
Alleluia! There's still hope... :p
Hopefully there will be another exam scheduled in the fall.

ProudAm - just curious, did she mention how many are they looking to hire for the next academy?

·
Registered
159 Posts
JFSMSP";p="67534 said:
If you are trying to get to be a P.O. I say YES go for being a C.O., I worked at Souza for a year and then the word came for the SP academy, but I don't regret my decision to join DOC, I met a lot of good people and got some good experiences out of it, and I'm sure it didn't hurt my resume.
JFS,
Jerry good to hear from you and congratulations on your graduation from the SP academy. Matt S. starts the academy Monday. Stop bye someday to say hi. Allot of us from your former work place post here. Hendu

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.