Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have recently started to upgrade my cars exhaust, and i am wondering what is the legality of various exhausts. Are Glasspacks legal? I know it sounds immature but i love the sound of a deep throughty exhaust, and i am trying to achieve that, but i would perfer staying legal.

thank you for your time,
Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the info.

that doesnt make too much sense to me. I understand if glasspacks are illegal because its basically not a muffler, but there are a bunch of cars around that have loud exhaust. and motor cycles are extremely loud around here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured that officers around here would be more strict about it, because its not like its hard to hide..

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
No it was the wrong forum and so I moved it, your exhaust questions are not exactly hot topics when it comes to law enforcement discussions.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Yeah, I don't think it matters much if you're in LE or not, they are annoying.

Or maybe I just feel that way because I'm over 30 now. :roll:

NAH, they always annoyed me! :evil:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Officer Dunngeon";p="63338 said:
Yeah, I don't think it matters much if you're in LE or not, they are annoying.

Or maybe I just feel that way because I'm over 30 now. :roll:

NAH, they always annoyed me! :evil:
You're not OVER 30..You ARE 30. Big difference chica...besides, I'm 23 and think it's obnoxious...I guess it's cool if you're 16, but I doubt it.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
Well, to get technical about it, I am OVER 30 because I am 30 years and 26 days old. Holy shit, that's depressing. :(

On a good note, I still rock!!! :punk: I only ask that you don't blare the Crue, keep it down to a nice low level of decibels so I can concentrate while applying the Vicks Vapo Rub. :lol:

·
1,334 Posts
Derek33";p="63326 said:
Thanks for the info.

that doesnt make too much sense to me. I understand if glasspacks are illegal because its basically not a muffler, but there are a bunch of cars around that have loud exhaust. and motor cycles are extremely loud around here.
I have an automotive background and can certainly respect a car or bike done up real nice. That being said... especially during the summer when windows are open in peoples houses or during the night when the majority of the public is trying to sleep... the car that sounds like a weedwacker or car/bike with an excessivly loud exhaust that hurts your ears/rattles the windows from miles away is disturbing, period!

As far as not understanding the chapter and section posted above, in short: If your exhaust is modified you can get a citation. Also, there is another statute regarding loud exhaust...which may apply too. It can add up. I would say use some common sense regarding your car repairs, because you can attract attention to yourself real quick.

·
Registered
456 Posts
They were illegal when I was a kid, and they are still illegal today. Folks got cited back in the 1960s when I got my DL and they are still getting cited today.

If you like to collect tickets, it's a real nice way of getting there! If you want to lead a peaceful, law-abiding life and not call attention to yourself, I'd recommend leaving the glasspacks at the racetracks.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Derek33";p="63324 said:
I know it sounds immature but i love the sound of a deep throughty exhaust
Which is fine, but the majority of the population doesn't love the sound of a deep throaty exhaust. Hence, illegal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know this is a very old topic but I wanted to know how many of you enforce C.90 S.16?

After market exhaust is much more durable and gives the vehicle a slight increase in efficiency and get your money's worth out of it. I only ask because I was thinking about getting a Flowmaster 40 Series and also there are a lot of illegal things that people do right in front of police and the police doesn't give it any thought and brush it off.

C.90 S.16 says anything that amplifies the noise output compared to stock exhaust is illegal. Even a slightly louder exhaust is illegal and that's why I ask. We are in MA and we have laws that only people in mental institutions could normally come up with and wanted to know if you feel the same way. What else would be better than to ask those that enforce it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.