Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody do any hunting? I am looking to find out what type/cal rifle you would recommend for hunting wild boar.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Per my father....

It depends on the area that you expect to be hunting the pigs in, and the range that you expect to be shooting at.

The rifle should be a centerfire. The caliber depends on the size of pigs that you expect to nab, and the range that you expect your shots to be taken within. A 30 caliber Winchester or a .44 Mag are good for close range work in dense scrub, and terrain where shots would not exceed more than 150 yards. The Remington 7600 pump action, and the side by side. Chapeus rifles are also nice because of there compactness and their quick shots. But the main advantage is that they are made in large rifle calibers. Their only drawback is that their so expensive. Hunting out in the open is a different story. You'll be better off with higher velocity lighter projectiles, .30-06. Or a 7.6mm cartridge. A bolt action is better at longer range. Use a rifle that is light enough to carry in the field and that is also heavy enough to absorb the recoil of a larger cartridge. Once again, this is a matter of how far you expect to be carrying your rifle for; and ultimately it comes down to a matter of personal choice.

Hunting pigs with shotguns is invariably done with a 12 Gauge, and takes on two forms: using shot and using slugs

Hope that helps :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
John J";p="57220 said:
Does anybody do any hunting? I am looking to find out what type/cal rifle you would recommend for hunting wild boar.
What style of hunting are you going to do? Are you going to use a stand or stalk your prey. I prefer using catch dogs and a knife. It makes it more of a challenge. Of course you would need to bring a gun in case the shit hits the fan. I just bring my Glock .40 cal handgun. It seems to do the trick.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Part of it depends on what state you plan on hunting wild boar in, as there are various methods of taking in different states.
When I hunt them I hunt with a 44 mag rifle and 44 mag revolver. Some of the best ammo for boar is the full load cowboy action shooting ammo.
I used to shoot 240 grain cast bullets, now I use HEAVY 300 grain Sierra 8630's. It's hard to say which was better.
Sierra 8630 and 10 grains of bluedot, puts out quiet a bit of power , is fairly manageable, and stays subsonic for the PAC stuff.

I use a Ruger 77/44 with a 4x scope, sometimes a reflex scope. and a S&W 629 Light Hunter. I used to use the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag but I got rid of it. - it was worth more to someone else than me.
Just be ready for that pork freight train running through the woods, it's quite a site.

John J";p="57220 said:

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SOT_II,
I have a Remington 700 .308, do you think that it is powerful enough? My father has a 30-06 that I could borrow. Which would you recommend?

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mkpnt";p="57377 said:
John J";p="57220 said:
What style of hunting are you going to do? Are you going to use a stand or stalk your prey. I prefer using catch dogs and a knife. It makes it more of a challenge. Of course you would need to bring a gun in case the shit hits the fan. I just bring my Glock .40 cal handgun. It seems to do the trick.
mkpnt,

I didn't know you were into hunting boar! We will have to talk about this later, I have some questions. I also have a friend that wants to use his dogs to kill the boar, he wants me there with the guns just in case. Personally I think he is crazy, but they are his dogs.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Either or, both will have more than enough power to do the job.
It would more be a choice of bullets with those calibers than anything else...in terms of something fun to talk about. I'm all for heavier v. lighter but there are some advanced bullets that can sort of bridge the gap. I would say non FMJ, and at least 180 grain bullet.
'These are pretty darn good .
http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=3&s2=7&s3=12

John J";p="57507 said:
SOT_II,
I have a Remington 700 .308, do you think that it is powerful enough? My father has a 30-06 that I could borrow. Which would you recommend?

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SOT_II";p="57521 said:
Either or, both will have more than enough power to do the job.
It would more be a choice of bullets with those calibers than anything else...in terms of something fun to talk about. I'm all for heavier v. lighter but there are some advanced bullets that can sort of bridge the gap. I would say non FMJ, and at least 180 grain bullet.
'These are pretty darn good .
http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=3&s2=7&s3=12
Thanks for the info. Where can I purchase that ammo?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
That's not ammo that's just the bullets for reloading. You cna prolly buy ammo loaded with that or load your own.

·
Registered
198 Posts
John J";p="57509 said:
mkpnt";p="57377 said:
John J";p="57220 said:
mkpnt,

I didn't know you were into hunting boar! We will have to talk about this later, I have some questions. I also have a friend that wants to use his dogs to kill the boar, he wants me there with the guns just in case. Personally I think he is crazy, but they are his dogs.
John J,
I have gone in Arkansas and Florida. I am planning a trip to Georgia this Summer. There is nothing like watching a 36 pound dog make a 300 pound Boar it's bitch...

Here is my personal Wild Hog catching machine!!!!

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mkpnt";p="57603 said:
I usually just bring a knife, my dog, jeans and a t-shirt. I have never worn a vest...sometimes a bright colored t-shirt.
I didn't mean for you, you knucklehead! I meant do you have a vest for the dog? I hear the Boar's tusks can do some serious damage. Some people have their dogs fitted for protection vests.

·
Registered
198 Posts
John J";p="57605 said:
mkpnt";p="57603 said:
I usually just bring a knife, my dog, jeans and a t-shirt. I have never worn a vest...sometimes a bright colored t-shirt.
I didn't mean for you, you knucklehead! I meant do you have a vest for the dog? I hear the Boar's tusks can do some serious damage. Some people have their dogs fitted for protection vests.
My pup wears a cut vest and cut collar. They are kevlar with a cordura nylon shell. She is basically a four pawed tank. I also bring a medical kit, just in case. She has yet to received more than minor cuts or bruises.

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mkpnt";p="57608 said:
John J";p="57605 said:
mkpnt";p="57603 said:
My pup wears a cut vest and cut collar. They are kevlar with a cordura nylon shell. She is basically a four pawed tank. I also bring a medical kit, just in case. She has yet to received more than minor cuts or bruises.
I think you should refer to your own signature. The words of Vincent Vega and Jules, "We should have shotguns!"

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,710 Posts
One of my personal dreams is to hunt Wild Boar. (the other is a Montana/Idaho Elk hunt)

I plan on using a Smith 657 Hunter with hard cast 250 grain SWC's, and I'll be carrying an M5A1 Bayonet as back-up. Now I just gotta decide where to go to get my Boar
8)

·
Subscribing Member
3,265 Posts
I shot a boar last year hunting in Dixie County, FLA. I was using a colt 1911 .45 and the damn boar almost killed me. It took a hydra-shok to the forehead to drop it 1.5 feet from me :shock:. There was a definite pucker factor in that hunt!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.